IGNORED

ColecoVision Guest Stars in Ready Player One!

DeanOVision

I just saw Ready Player One at my local theater and noticed that a character in the movie was spotted playing GORF on his ColecoVision when the character was a kid in the '80s. In case you are unaware of the movie (or the book it's based on), it has many 1980s video game references in it. The movie is a lot of fun and is directed by Steven Spielberg. Anyway, I stayed through the credits to see if they give a credit or "special thanks" to Coleco Holdings, Inc., but I didn't see anything. Uh oh! I guess Spielberg can expect to get sued by Chris Cardillo...It's too bad that Spielberg's career is going to come to end. He was such a good director. :(

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...

I realized that the 5th time I watched the movie(DVD)...

Why does he have stacks of 2600 games when he has a colecovision w/o an expansion module?

Speaking of atari carts, in the scene where the sixers dump a bunch of atari cartridges onto a table, discussing what game they should try next in the third challenge, I saw two same Joust carts in the pile.

post-45036-0-14701700-1527279246_thumb.jpg

P.S.Hey, that's not the boot screen of the colecovision!

P.P.S.Why does that pic have intellivision carts on the table? 

There is an intellivison under the right end table/desk.  The expansion module may be beside the driving module, too cluttered and dark to tell but could be there

edit: took A look at the source picture and does not look like an expansion module there but what the heck are those weird colecovision controllers?  Are they the flashback variety?  Ugh

Edited by Loafer

5 hours ago, bluejay said:

I realized that the 5th time I watched the movie(DVD)...

Why does he have stacks of 2600 games when he has a colecovision w/o an expansion module?

Speaking of atari carts, in the scene where the sixers dump a bunch of atari cartridges onto a table, discussing what game they should try next in the third challenge, I saw two same Joust carts in the pile.

Since Spielberg directed, he should have insisted on there being an E.T. cart in there...

There's also a Robbie the Robot (from Forbidden Planet) in the background. This is a boomer's idea/memory of what an 80s kid room looked like. 

I'm not watching the movie (it kicks off with Van Halen's "Jump" which made me quit right there) but this shot reminds me of the boy's room in E.T., filled with Kenner Star Wars product. 

21 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

I'm not watching the movie (it kicks off with Van Halen's "Jump" which made me quit right there) but this shot reminds me of the boy's room in E.T., filled with Kenner Star Wars product. 

lol I'm SUPER not-a-movie-watcher but as a dad I've heard this one dozens of times while driving the car as it's playing in the backseat. It's actually worth a single watch through.

Heck, 2600 Adventure plays a big part in the film. ?

3 hours ago, NE146 said:

lol I'm SUPER not-a-movie-watcher but as a dad I've heard this one dozens of times while driving the car as it's playing in the backseat. It's actually worth a single watch through.

Heck, 2600 Adventure plays a big part in the film. ?

I'd love to watch that (and only that)

Hey look, a short clip of that scene is on YouTube, and it's done with such over-the-top religious reverence (and presented by a breathless uncanny valley avatar), I hate it even more. 

Yeah, I'm old and cranky, so what?

Seriously, what are the odds Steven Spielberg actually played video games in the 80's.

In every one of the movies that they rely on ticket sales to go to some middle aged dude reliving his teenage or childhood years.

They throw a ton of crap together, obviously from a thrift store, with no theme to it then put a kid from today that would spit on a console from back then after growing up around an XBox 360.

Add Tom Sayer as background music and there you go.

Both Pixels and Ready Player One were lame and I have a love hate relationship with the 80's.
The best time growing up, would not mind visiting with a time machine but I would not want to settle there.

Bally's Alladin Castle at the mall was it but that also came with a lot of broken hearts dating.

And that's my rant.

Edited by Mike Harris

6 hours ago, Mike Harris said:

Seriously, what are the odds Steven Spielberg actually played video games in the 80's.

From "Invasion of the Space Invaders" - by Martin Amis, published in 1982

MissileCommand_pic.thumb.jpg.fc57c4e5171a8cbaa451d0003b1c7ffe.jpgSpeilberg_Intro.thumb.jpg.788992e859b48ae39241b16733b9420a.jpg

...I'd say the odds are relatively good. ?