IGNORED

Is There Too Many YouTubers?

Yea.... my son watches that Minecraft crap from time to time as well.

The sad thing is, he is actually a very good Minecraft player who creates and delves into the intricacies of the game... he really is good... but he watches this filth.

I don't mind Let's Play videos, as long as the majority of the content is gameplay by a skilled player. I watched a video the other day on Stampede which helped me drastically increase my score, just by picking up one small strategy. (Video below). I don't mind these kinds of videos.

Edited by Opry99er

The sad thing is, he is actually a very good Minecraft player who creates and delves into the intricacies of the game... he really is good... but he watches this filth.

I don't mind Let's Play videos, as long as the majority of the content is gameplay by a skilled player. I watched a video the other day on Stampede which helped me drastically increase my score, just by picking up one small strategy. (Video below). I don't mind these kinds of videos.

I can enjoy let's play videos of tough games played by unskilled gamers because of the schadenfreude and the drama in rooting for them to progress. But it's kind of lame when they use cheats and save states.

I *HATE* that style of editing, which was parodied so well here:

Oh man you'd hate Steve Dangle's videos. As a Leafs fan I love this guy, probably the most popular Toronto Maple Leaf fan on youtube (also works for Sportsnet here in Canada) and he loves doing those quick edits. I love it though as he's got a great personality, he's funny and knows his stuff. I don't think that style works for everyone or everything but IMO it works great for Stevie D.

• Like 1

That thing was so cut up to sh** that I couldn't make it past the 1 minute mark.

Wow, the level of self-importance is mind-blowing...

It's not even cut up in order to present the material in a stylish way. It just looks random and done for no reason.

https://youtu.be/Ld-gMclFgds

I really enjoyed the Bootsy Beats series they had for a short period of time. I guess the nerd videos gets the views though and that's sad.

I really enjoyed the Bootsy Beats series they had for a short period of time. I guess the nerd videos gets the views though and that's sad.

Apparently Mike fired Bootsy from the channel. That's a shame.

Bootsy Beats Battletoads helped me learn how to beat Battletoads. Even though there are much better and easier strats for some sections than Bootsy used in the video.

I am working with Smash JT on an interview response of my video which some had a strong reaction to. The bottom line is that I personally should of went to bed that night and not made a video. In my final weeks of teaching this year and was very exhausted. I was trying to be helpful to others and it did not come across that way to some viewers. For that I am sorry.

• Like 1

I am working with Smash JT on an interview response of my video which some had a strong reaction to. The bottom line is that I personally should of went to bed that night and not made a video. In my final weeks of teaching this year and was very exhausted. I was trying to be helpful to others and it did not come across that way to some viewers. For that I am sorry.

John, your video was fine, don't sweat it. Your tips were spot-on and will help folks who are looking to make videos on a more serious/consistent basis.

Remember when... "Man, cable is such a waste. A few hundred channels, and only a dozen or so worth watching"

Now... "Man, youtube is such a waste. A few hundred thousand channels, and only a dozen or so worth watching":

Except there's no comparison.

Yes I can frequently browse through my cable programming guide and find absolutely nothing on I want to watch. I'll find relatively little I want to DVR.

With youtube I can always find something that interests me.

Probably depends on how you spend your time. I love podcasts -- but I spend at least an hour a day outside walking the dog, in addition to time in the car. Podcasts are great (though not really the best "gamer" topic in my opinion). I expect them to be thoughtful and edited, though -- not just some uninformed schmoes shooting the breeze or reading Wikipedia.

Videos? You have to sit still for those. If I'm going to do that, I'd much rather read, write, draw, or play a game. Watching a professionally produced video is okay if I have the time attention for it. Amateur yammer videos are low on my priority list.

There are many youtube videos I listen to rather than watch, for these reasons you list. They are like podcasts. I think many would-be podcasters go straight to youtube instead these days

There are many youtube videos I listen to rather than watch, for these reasons you list. They are like podcasts. I think many would-be podcasters go straight to youtube instead these days

Yeah, it does seem that way. Though you can't have Casper and Squarespace ads if you go that way.

• Like 1

Short answer "no".

John's a good guy but this topic is dumb. IMO Youtube is what it is because of the endless stream of new videos and users. I imagine John's having a hard time because of competitive youtubers. In the past, I remember a new clone console came out and John was reviewing and there was like 10 other channels that were reviewing it too.

The few things on youtube I've enjoyed enough to watch got canceled. Star Trek Continues (basically TOS Season 4), Epic Rap Battles, and a few others. At least on TV I can think of maybe 10 shows that run at some rate in the year I can DVR and just pass through on my lunch break. I wish I could a la carte some channels and pay on that level.

I wish I could a la carte some channels and pay on that level.

I watch little enough TV that I really should just buy the seasons of shows I like and forget the rest. Unfortunately for me, the cable company outsmarts me at every contract renewal by not giving me just the fast internet I want (and nothing else) without penalizing me for not committing to the whole dumb bundle, 2 years at a time. At least I wangled a few years of free HBO out of them. Never mind that everyone else is giving that away in cereal boxes.

Edit: derp, when you say "channels," you mean on YouTube, not cable. Ah well, the principle still stands. A la carte WOULD be preferable, but someone's gotta pay for all that storage and bandwidth. Might as well be Google, they're marginally less evil than Comcast or ATT or Verizon.