IGNORED

Atari 2600 Jr Problems.

AtariUser2

So, I recently purchased an Atari 2600 Jr, with Jr PAC man and no cables for £11:99. I already own an Atari 2600 woody 6 switch, in addition to 7800, and so simply just swapped it in with the cables. To my surprise, the console doesnt accept games at all, as they dont fit in the cup. In addition, the power light comes on intermittently, but does appear to work. All Im wondering is, what do I need to do fix this?

The 2600jr and also the 7800 has a tighter slot then the older 2600 consoles. You really have to seat the carts prior to powering on. There is a mod to fix that tight slot, have care on the plastic guide while trimming so you do not damage the mother board. The 7800 plastic guide can be unscrewed underneath for the mod, but the 2600jr would require tricky desoldering so it needs done in place.

Could also be dirty contacts inside, easiest route is insert cart a few times. Cleaning the contacts with alcohol and q-tip also can help, just be sure dry before plugging back in.

• Like 1

In the photos, the Jr has no case on, leaving just the exposed board. Ive tried cleaning ithe cartridge slot with many things, and tried many times, but I will take your suggestion and use alcohol. I dont think it is the cartridge slot though, and maybe one of the chips, like the TIA. I have no knowledge of soldering whatsoever, so I cant really fix the chips. But I do know someone who is an electrician, so I might ask him to help. But thanks for the tip!

I cant really get detailed pictures of the board at the moment, and im using a power supply which I purchased from a shop that is quite reputable, and use with my woody 6 switch light sixer. The power supply is fine, and when i bought it the seller said it wouldnt work as it was untested. What happened with it smoking is that the bard was apart, not plugged in, and suddenly smoke erupted from it, and it stopped getting power a bit before that. Now it is just sat downstairs, in a cupboard. Ive been leaving it to cool down, as some of the chips and the main capacitor were hot, and reassembled it.