IGNORED

Risky Rick in Dangerous Traps (June 25th)

Mine arrived today. Great looking game and solid controls. VERY impressive for a stock Coleco game.

Having an issue on this screen though...

Risky Trouble.jpg

I believe I'm supposed to go right here, but it does not let me through. I've tried many many times. Is there something I'm missing?

i have the demo since my cart is not there yet and i cant pass this screen too...i tought its the end of the demo but maybe its not after all and i missing something too...

Mine arrived today. Great looking game and solid controls. VERY impressive for a stock Coleco game.

Having an issue on this screen though...

attachicon.gifRisky Trouble.jpg

I believe I'm supposed to go right here, but it does not let me through. I've tried many many times. Is there something I'm missing?

Add me to this list...I've watched the Amiga version long plays and yes we are supposed to crawl through there. But I'm not able to on my copy either. I sent an email about this to them and also found out what was going on with the high score screen. Turns out that using a Super Action controller messes with that screen a bit. If I use the SAC then I have to spin the encoder wheel a few times and then press the fire button to bring up the letter A automatically. Once that happens, then the controller works as normal on the high score screen. Very strange, but yeah. With a stock CV controller the high score screen is fine.

But I'm most frustrated in that I'm unable to get past this screen and really don't know what else can be done to get through... Seems there is a problem...

I do have 2 mods installed into my CV. I did the +5 ram mod upgrade about 2 years ago and have one of Yurkie's composite boards installed in mine as well. But I can't see how either of those would effect the game in this way? I have one other spare CV but it too had the +5 ram mod done because the original RAM has issues so I just figured it was best to replace them all to get it running again.

Update!!! - So I have 2 CVs at my disposal. The other CV only has the +5 ram mod on it but the rest of it is stock. It does get past that part just fine like it is supposed to! So I'm not sure if the composite mod has anything to do with it (I don't see how...), or the fact that I have a rocker switch on my primary CV that doesn't seem to get past that part. I can tell you that playing the game on RF doesn't make a difference as I'm still stuck in that same spot regardless. But on my other CV I can get past that screen without issue. So there is something different with our CVs that appear to be incompatible with the game and I don't see how just a composite mod would do that? Both of mine feature the original BIOS as well.

Also as an interesting note, if you haven't figured it out...which ever button you press to start the game will become the fire button with the other the jump button. So, you can swap these as you want depending on which one you press to start a game.

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-

i have the demo since my cart is not there yet and i cant pass this screen too...i tought its the end of the demo but maybe its not after all and i missing something too...

For the Demo , it is normal , it is indeed the end of the demo. If you play with the cartridge on a real console , if you get stuck here it very problably your console has been modified. They precised on the web site that the game has been designed to work on stock console.

This game is intented to be played on a fully working CBS (50Hz) / Coleco (60Hz) ColecoVision system. ArcadeVision can't guarrantee operation on defective systems, modded systems, systems with expansion modules, unknown systems including FPGA based hardwares and emulators that may alterate your game experience. If you have any doubt, please contact us.

Okay...

So in looking at my two CVs I was mistaken. I only have the +5 ram upgrade in my primary CV that was done due to actual bad ram modules in the past. The other CV is 100% stock and that one works just fine with the game though I do need to replace out the switch as it takes several power on and off along with fiddling of the power cord to get a non-scrambled picture. So I have to assume at this point that the +5 ram upgrade is to blame and causing something in the game to think it isn't being ran on actual hardware and essentially putting the game into DEMO mode then. Based on the description listed that it is intended to only be played on stock CV hardware and even lists emulators in the mix of stuff it likely isn't to play correctly, leads me to believe this might be some sort of ROM protection measure wherein the game checks for certain things and if they do not pass, then the game is essentially running in demo mode and doesn't allow you to pass the last screen in the first level.

I get that...but the +5 ram upgrade is an incredibly common mod done to CVs to make them more reliable. While I do have one of Yurkie's composite mod boards installed, that mod only attaches to points on the board and doesn't require any hardware modification to the system itself. The +5 ram upgrade requires removing one of the inductors off the board and rerouting a cap to remove the -5 volt rail off the video memory section, and while I haven't actually checked, it is possible the RAM in the upgrade is of a different speed that could also affect the game then based on what has been explained above and in their email reply to me.

Now I have to wonder what other mods on a console might cause issues with future games being released because we know that none of the original released games (Or homebews that I have bought in the past) have ever had an issue with these mods. So I guess those with RGB boards, F18a, quick BIOS etc are also at risk for this game not working properly on those either?

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-

Your stock ColecoVision run perfectly the game. Your "fixed" ColecoVision have problems. Please, enjoy the game on your working system and ask to repair the other.

For peoples buying the game but playing on emulators, we will do our best to offer a ROM file compatible with them.

Shouldn't this have been brought up before people bought the first run ? Most people I think have some sort of mods done since a stock Colecovision never works . I have two and have mine both modded with skip bios and other mods .

Your stock ColecoVision run perfectly the game. Your "fixed" ColecoVision have problems. Please, enjoy the game on your working system and ask to repair the other.

For peoples buying the game but playing on emulators, we will do our best to offer a ROM file compatible with them.

I also don't consider my Colecovision with the +5 RAM upgrade to require 'repair'. It was repaired hence why it now has the +5 ram on it. Getting the original RAM that required both the +5 and -5 volts isn't feasible and certainly isn't made new. So any you do find are subject to be just as unreliable as the original ram.

I'm going to check more when I get home from work and crack them both apart to see. But there are also different revisions of the CV through its life so I'm wondering if it could be something with that as well. In any event, only having a 100% original stock CV is possible, but finding one that works 100% isn't common either. Heck the retro shop around the corner from me isn't even willing to sell stock CVs due to the issues they always have. They offer a 30 day warranty on their consoles so they always install the +5 mod and no delay BIOS as a given. Most of the time they install Yurkie's composite board too.

Point is, that they can't sell CVs without having some work done to them so they can be sure they will work properly for whomever buys it.

So yeah I think calling my CV that works just fine with every other game I own including flash carts as needing to be repaired is not a correct statement. It does work and works far better than my stock console does to be honest. So yes if they make a version of the Rom that can be played on Emulators, I'd be interested to see how that plays on my slightly modded CV.

• Like 1

What makes this game not play on modded Coleco's but all other homebrews do ? Can it be changed for the next run so that it plays like all other homebrews on modded Coleco's ?

Changed for the next run? What about the current run of carts already released and in gamers hands?

I'm not a programmer by any means, but the behavior of this game would seem to indicate that it does some sort of check looking for specific stuff that only a real CV would have. My guess is a protection of sorts to prevent the game from running on flash carts or in emulation should it be dumped. Basically if it doesn't quite like what it sees when it loads up, it will assume it is running in some sort of emulation mode and put itself into demo mode preventing you from passing the last screen on the 1st level and progressing to level 2 in the game. So with the only hardware modification done on my CV being the +5 ram upgrade, it must trigger this in the cart and make it only load up in DEMO mode on my 'slightly' modded CV. Again the +5 ram upgrade is the only real hardware mod I have in place on this CV. Yes I put in a rocker switch and yes I have Yurkie's composite mod board in place, but neither of those two require any hardware component removal from the main logic like the +5 ram does and that is to remove the -5 volt rail from the video ram section of the board.

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-
  • Like 1

Shouldn't this have been brought up before people bought the first run ? Most people I think have some sort of mods done since a stock Colecovision never works . I have two and have mine both modded with skip bios and other mods .

It is wrote on the website. But, that don't means that your modded ColecoVision will not work. It is just a warning to inform you. Please, let we know! (that work fine for most of the players)

We have done many hardware tests compatibility during close to 6 months and found some incompatibility with not accurate expansions.

What makes this game not play on modded Coleco's but all other homebrews do ? Can it be changed for the next run so that it plays like all other homebrews on modded Coleco's ?

Their code are really basic and not optimised to push the ColecoVision into its best. (or require a SGM)

No, its can't be changed as it is not a bug but a problem with systems that are no more 100% ColecoVision compatible.

Changed for the next run? What about the current run of carts already released and in gamers hands?

[...]

No, the game is perfectly working and the second run will be exactly ike the first. No differences at all.

The demo fail at the same place instead of going to the game over screen because the same event timing problem as explain by email. Most peoples got the demo with the emulator fix and reach this screen.

If your console is not properly modded, it is not our fault. If your controller not work it is not our fault too... Both require to be revised. The developers don't made a version with no control to anoy you.

• Like 1

It is wrote on the website. But, that don't means that your modded ColecoVision will not work. It is just a warning to inform you. Please, let we know! (that work fine for most of the players)

We have done many hardware tests compatibility during close to 6 months and found some incompatibility with not accurate expansions.

Their code are really basic and not optimised to push the ColecoVision into its best. (or require a SGM)

No, its can't be changed as it is not a bug but a problem with systems that are no more 100% ColecoVision compatible.

No, the game is perfectly working and the second run will be exactly ike the first. No differences at all.

The demo fail at the same place instead of going to the game over screen because the same event timing problem as explain by email. Most peoples got the demo with the emulator fix and reach this screen.

If your console is not properly modded, it is not our fault. If your controller not work it is not our fault too... Both require to be revised. The developers don't made a version with no control to anoy you.

You are implying to the +5 ram upgrade on my CV isn't properly installed? Again this is very common mod and if it wasn't installed properly then every other game I have etc would present me with issues as well. This is the first time I have a game behave this way with my system. I did confirm that the +5 RAM upgrade that is quite common does use faster ram chips. But that faster speed doesn't really do anything since the RAM will only work to however fast the VDP provides the information to it.

As for the controller issue I already told you guys that a normal colecovision controller works just fine on both of my consoles with the game. But the Super Action Controller on both consoles works fine until you get to the high score screen. From there the controller no longer responds. that is until you move the encoder wheel below the keypad. Doing this and constantly pressing fire will eventually make the letter A get selected on the name entry. From there the controller works normally. But I did find out that if you move that encoder wheel after having it set, then the controls don't respond again. So because of that encoder wheel on the SAC the game sees the starting controller input in a range it doesn't expect. Moving the wheel around eventually brings it to where it expects stuff to be and then it works.

At least, that is how it appears to be interpreted. I'm okay with the SAC not quite working as I've found how to get around that. But again to state that a video ram modded CV needs fixed is also not a correct statement here.

Are there any with +5 RAM modded consoles that also own this game able to get through fully on Level 1 and advance to level 2 in the game?

No, I don't said that your +5 RAM upgrade on your CV is not properly installed, but that your ColecoVision should have an other problem.

I understand that is the first time that your console have a problem with a game, but accept that is the first time that a game look like this too. The code timing is very very optimized.

To be confidant, the developpers use complex systems to manage real time unpacking data and the RAM / VRAM for other usage than the standard done on existing games.

I'm going to ask to all peoples receiving their game is they use a +5V mod and will let you know. But if it is common, I think that we was able to detect that supposed issue.

I'm sure that our electronic guy will like to take a look to your system if he was not so far from you to help to fix it.

Edited by ArcadeVision

I'm going to go through both of my consoles I have tonight and document fully any differences between them. I will also try and get ahold of the Diagnostic ROM that tests the VDP and other logic fully from my Ultimate SD cart later to see if it shows anything different. Aside from what I've already mentioned as having been modded on my console. I'm also about 90% sure I did replace both controller mux chips on it and put them in sockets. This CV when I originally got it always has very poor RF and in fact didn't even work on RF until I adjusted it. That was over 15 years ago. Since then it started to develop issues with the VRAM so that and the power switch were replaced out. Otherwise it is still stock with the original BIOS and VDP etc. I did just realize this CV didn't include a heatsink on the VDP and it has always been that way since I got it a long time ago.

Still graphically and gameplay wise the game works great on this CV. it just doesn't want to let me pass through the right side of the screen on the last screen to level 1. I would think other games and even other parts of this specific game would give me issues besides my guy just crawling in place unable to pass to through the right side of the screen onto level 2 if there were really something else off on this CV.

And we have at least 2 if not 3 other members in these forums reporting the same issue with the game on their systems. Just need to know what mods if any they have done to their systems to start tracking this.

Sure, I understand. I have just send an email to our electronic guy to take a look at this mod: https://console5.com/wiki/Colecovision_5V_RAM_Modification#Step_3:_Connect_.2B5v_to_L3_via

You said that 3 peoples have the same issue on this forum. Please, contact us by email to provide more informations about your systems. It is more easy for us to provide a good support.

Thank you.

• Like 1

Sure, I understand. I have just send an email to our electronic guy to take a look at this mod: https://console5.com/wiki/Colecovision_5V_RAM_Modification#Step_3:_Connect_.2B5v_to_L3_via

You said that 3 peoples have the same issue on this forum. Please, contact us by email to provide more informations about your systems. It is more easy for us to provide a good support.

Thank you.

Cool thank you!

As for the others I know kevinmos first mentioned it yesterday at about the same time I discovered it in this thread on the previous page. There was a youtuber who apparently received an early copy of the game to review and he too was unable to get past that part. But after he died there he didn't try again in the video and hasn't made an update to it since. Again in the case of my specific CV here I can only see the +5 ram upgrade as having anything to do with it since that is honestly the only hardware modification I've really made to this CV.

Quick test using the Diagnostics test that comes with the colecovision ultimate SD cart reveals that my +5 ram CV is 100 working. However, the one CV that is stock and actually works with the game fails the vram test quite frequently because it needs the ram replaced and I knew this already. But the point is that the CV that doesn't work with the game doesn't have any immediate issues using two different diagnostic test roms.

I got my copy yesterday and just booted it up today. I too have a +5 Volt RAM mod and I also have the problem of not being able to pass that same area where others are having problems getting through.

The game is quite excellent and Arcadevision you have done a great job rewriting this game from Amiga to Colecovision. I love this version!

I will try to get another unmodified Colecovision to play this game I can imagine that the rest is great.

I also noticed that the game came in a bubble mailer but the box of the game came to me a bit squashed, you may want to consider in the future to use shipping boxes instead of the bubble mailers as postal people often put heavy packages on these light ones.

I am ok with the box being a little squashed but I just wanted to make a suggestion to your company for the future.

Thank you again for such a fun game!

Edited by imstarryeyed

I got my copy yesterday and just booted it up today. I too have a +5 Volt RAM mod and I also have the problem of not being able to pass that same area where others are having problems getting through.

The game is quite excellent and Arcadevision you have done a great job rewriting this game from Amiga to Colecovision. I love this version!

I will try to get another unmodified Colecovision to play this game I can imagine that the rest is great.

I also noticed that the game came in a bubble mailer but the box of the game came to me a bit squashed, you may want to consider in the future to use shipping boxes instead of the bubble mailers as postal people often put heavy packages on these light ones.

I am ok with the box being a little squashed but I just wanted to make a suggestion to your company for the future.

Thank you again for such a fun game!

It wasn't even a bubble envelope . Just a paper one with one sheet of bubble around the box . Amazing that they would not ship it in a box with packing material coming all the way from France .

Mine was wet, thank god they at least put one of those plastic bags around the box. I second the must ship in boxes in the future.

However more concerning to me is this idea that we must have an exact unmodded colecovision for a 35 year old system in which hardly anyone has a colecovison that was not modded. Seems like poor planning. I would say this needs a fix. Unfortunately I have been too busy to play the game. Will have to do that soon.

• Like 1

Mine was wet, thank god they at least put one of those plastic bags around the box. I second the must ship in boxes in the future.

However more concerning to me is this idea that we must have an exact unmodded colecovision for a 35 year old system in which hardly anyone has a colecovison that was not modded. Seems like poor planning. I would say this needs a fix. Unfortunately I have been too busy to play the game. Will have to do that soon.

Only difference between my two is that one has the +5 ram upgrade mod and a composite board for AV out and the other is 100% stock. But the stock one does exhibit occasional scrambled graphics and doesn't usually pass the VRAM test in the diagnostics. But yet it will advance to level 2. Although I did have a similar strange issue with not being able to advance to the next screen on that CV tonight. It was actually on the screen just before the last. I took out the two tribal guys using TNT plus the TNT to take out the jagged rocks. Jumped up to the spot on the right to exist and my guy wasn't able to pass through to the next screen?! I killed myself off with TNT and that section restarted. On this second playthrough, I was able to go to the right to the last screen of the temple level and able to pass through onto the next level in the pyramids. But only on my totally stock and unmodded CV.

@ArcadeVision : You should do a little test rom they can put an their AtariMax cart for instance, that would indicate if the console could be incompatible with Risky Risk or not.

We have already shipped all the games and close to be sold out for the second run. So, peoples wanting to know if the system is compatible just have to use the game cartridge.

We apologize that some peoples can't play properly on modded systems. As said, this topic is not for support and if nobody contact us by mail, we can't do anything.

Edited by ArcadeVision
  • Like 1