IGNORED

Risky Rick in Dangerous Traps (June 25th)

so it's drm... cause now the code have been change to not work on emulator or atarimax

You misinterpret what he said.

During the development, we have stoped to use emulators, next AtariMax, for using the final cartridge to not have to deal with extra devices causing operating problems with our game.
It is why we are currently working back on an emulator version of Risky Rick for peoples that don't own a ColecoVision. Next, with an AtariMax version if required by gamers.

Now, please, stop to thinks that we are not properly doing thinks with all the time spent into the programming (years) and the testing (months).

We have done tests on enough ColecoVision to guarranty that game is properly working on any stock ColecoVision from differents countries like USA.

Did anyone manage to capture what he said before he edited it? I've been told it said something that needs to be made public...thanks!

My god... What do you expect from a french guy, except fixing english typo to be well understood by peoples wanting to ear the invert?

We are seriously starting to thing that you are only here to troll the topic and enroll peoples with you against our game... The provided fix already works for a guy contacting us.

Please, go to repair your system!

Is the game available in loose or ROM format? I'd love to test the game on some of my standard and modified and new systems (but I don't normally collect homebrews).

I don't like that one bit then...I prefer playing on AtariMax and letting the original sit on the shelf in the box.

Sure, we understand and you are not alone. It is why we are working for that.

Please, send us an email to be informed when available for peoples buying the game box.

Thank you.

Edited by ArcadeVision

Apparently this is the only game on Earth that doesn't work on emulators or AtariMax. Had I known, I wouldn't have purchased it. ArcadeVision didn't exactly go out of their way to let people know this unless they try to blame the veiled reference on their web page that it might not work on modded systems...which I never saw, by the way. To me they are engaging in very misleading sales practices...basically telling people this after the fact and then saying, "oh well, not our problem."

• Like 1

Apparently this is the only game on Earth that doesn't work on emulators or AtariMax. Had I known, I wouldn't have purchased it. ArcadeVision didn't exactly go out of their way to let people know this unless they try to blame the veiled reference on their web page that it might not work on modded systems...which I never saw, by the way. To me they are engaging in very misleading sales practices...basically telling people this after the fact and then saying, "oh well, not our problem."

Kung Fu Master doesn't dump or play on my AtariMax and neither does Gradius or Penguin Adventure and I don't see people throwing a shitfit about those games.

Does a homebrewers game *HAVE* to work on an SD card based system? Since when did this become a requirement to make a game? Isn't the fact that someone is going out of their way to develop and publish a game on a system that hasn't seen a retail shelf in 30+ years and would normally be dead and forgotten about good enough to make people happy?

Just curious... because I know I'm very happy people are still making games for my childhood system, even if I can't play them on an AtariMax cart, I can still play them on real hardware.

Personally I think the only "requirement" from a homebrewer should be:

"Buy our game. Put it in your original hardware. It works."

If you've modded your system or changed whatever the configuration of your system is, I'm not sure a homebrew developer should be required to support 100% of those mods.

• Like 1

My god... What do you expect from a french guy, except fixing english typo to be well understood by peoples wanting to ear the invert?

We are seriously starting to thing that you are only here to troll the topic and enroll peoples with you against our game... The provided fix already works for a guy contacting us.

Please, go to repair your system!

No I'm not trying to troll or anything else. He didn't edit that statement to correct his English. And it was already stated it was tested using the Atarimax cart etc...so a ROM of the game that works does exist. I told you in an earlier message that I want to support you guys because I do honestly think the game is excellent otherwise.

My issue and has always been your insistence that there is something wrong with my colecovision and asking me to fix it. It was fixed, that is why it has the +5 ram in it now. I'd be happy to show you a full run through of the diagnostic roms I have on my flash cart that tell me my colecovision is working just fine. I also stated that I know for a fact that all the grounding straps and original solder points are still being used for the RF shield like the tech manual you sent states.

I simply want to know why you think an incredibly common repair that involves changing the vram is equal to a broken system?

You stated you would provide refunds...but only for those with unmodded and unopened colecovisions?! How the heck to you or anyone else really know if their CV has been opened in the past or not? I don't recall these ever coming with a void sticker on them to know if such actions had been done.

My point here is that everything points to changes being made in the game that check for what it is running on to protect it from being dumped and circulated. And that is fine...but what isn't fine is to tell me and others here that repairs we or someone else made suddenly make the game not work and it is our fault because of it. It was stated it was tested on one US system. One... there are several revisions out there that exist as I have two different revisions alone.

You know what... you have my information on what I'm running the game one and I think it is an excellent game and I applaud your efforts on it. I don't agree with how you are handling the situation and basically stating up front it is our fault the game doesn't work. With that, I haven't anything more to say and can only hope that others who might have issues document it so we can find the route cause and help them to make a better game going forward.

Many games on earth don't work on emulators and everdrive-like systems. By the way, we are selling a game cartridge for a real system and not a ROM for a piracy system.

From the begin, the website inform peoples about the issues on modded systems, expansions, ... And it was many times quoted on this topic too ; before you bought the game without reading.

So please, don't complain here... As you have not tried to contact us at any time to know if we should kindly do something for you.

• Like 1

Kung Fu Master doesn't dump or play on my AtariMax and neither does Gradius or Penguin Adventure and I don't see people throwing a shitfit about those games.

Does a homebrewers game *HAVE* to work on an SD card based system? Since when did this become a requirement to make a game? Isn't the fact that someone is going out of their way to develop and publish a game on a system that hasn't seen a retail shelf in 30+ years and would normally be dead and forgotten about good enough to make people happy?

Just curious... because I know I'm very happy people are still making games for my childhood system, even if I can't play them on an AtariMax cart, I can still play them on real hardware.

If you've modded your system or changed whatever the configuration of your system is, I'm not sure a homebrew developer should be required to support 100% of those mods.

Ah, I was not aware that Kung Fu Master was not dumpable

We don't need DRM in this community as long as there is people to support the homebrewers by buying the physical cart

Once the batch of carts is soldout, the roms files should be released to the public (IMHO)

Even more when it comes to non-original creations!

So here it is, have fun!

Kung Fu master_10.ROM

• Like 4

It's not their problem. You bought a game cartridge that works on the original ColecoVision. There's no way any homebrew author can accommodate variations in modded systems. I run into this myself with Atari 2600 and 7800 games sold in the AtariAge Store. Sometimes a mod, for whatever reason, causes an incompatibility problem with a specific game someone tries. There's not really much I can do about that.

And just because you have the ability to dump the cartridge and play it using a flash-based cartridge doesn't mean the publisher needs to support your ability to do so. To state that the publisher is engaging in "very misleading sales practices", give me a break. They sold you a game that works fine as sold and as intended--playing the cartridge you purchased on a stock ColecoVision system.

..Al

• Like 5

It's not their problem. You bought a game cartridge that works on the original ColecoVision. There's no way any homebrew author can accommodate variations in modded systems. I run into this myself with Atari 2600 and 7800 games sold in the AtariAge Store. Sometimes a mod, for whatever reason, causes an incompatibility problem with a specific game someone tries. There's not really much I can do about that.

And just because you have the ability to dump the cartridge and play it using a flash-based cartridge doesn't mean the publisher needs to support your ability to do so. To state that the publisher is engaging in "very misleading sales practices", give me a break. They sold you a game that works fine as sold and as intended--playing the cartridge you purchased on a stock ColecoVision system.

..Al

I agree 100% unless the actual problem people are seeing is that the games security is keeping them from reaching level 2. That isn't really a we can't make it work for every modded system. That is more like we are paranoid that everyone is stealing and your game would have worked if we weren't so paranoid.

Now granted no one has come out and admitted to it being the security protocol, so if it truly is a bug do to the system and timing being different then I guess that sucks but from everything I read it would seem it is the security keeping it in demo mode.

• Like 2

Now granted no one has come out and admitted to it being the security protocol, so if it truly is a bug do to the system and timing being different then I guess that sucks but from everything I read it would seem it is the security keeping it in demo mode.

How many people are running into this issue? Is it only affecting a particular type of modification? If the developer is unwilling to share a binary without the "security protocol", then hopefully they would offer a refund for those unable to run the game. In my opinion, nobody is OWED an unprotected binary of a game, or even a publicly shared ROM dump. That developers have often provided them is a nicety and may be the norm in this community, but that doesn't mean you should feel entitled to a dump of the game just because you bought a physical copy.

..Al

• Like 1

How many people are running into this issue? Is it only affecting a particular type of modification? If the developer is unwilling to share a binary without the "security protocol", then hopefully they would offer a refund for those unable to run the game. In my opinion, nobody is OWED an unprotected binary of a game, or even a publicly shared ROM dump. That developers have often provided them is a nicety and may be the norm in this community, but that doesn't mean you should feel entitled to a dump of the game just because you bought a physical copy.

..Al

While I agree with you, I think ™ games roms should be distributed when the homebrewers are soldout of their batch

They are certainly not forced to release roms, but I think it shows their good will and support toward the community

I know for fact that alot of people are just waiting for us to release the roms so they can play it

Some of those people who were not buying our games are now buying them

In the end, it's a win-win for everybody

But hey, everyone is free to do what they want

:)

Edited by retroillucid

..Al

I guess I was more concerned about one of their posts that even shielding or other tiny things could cause the game not to work as we have definitely seen that one of the revisions of the coleco boards didn't have shielding. I was more scared about how temperamental they made the game sound when they started replying to people.

While I agree with you, I think ™ games roms should be distributed when the homebrewers are soldout of their batch

They are certainly not forced to release roms, but I think it shows their good will and support toward the community

I know for fact that alot of people are just waiting for us to release the roms so they can play it

Some of those people who were not buying our games are now buying them

In the end, it's a win-win for everybody

But hey, everyone is free to do what they want

:)

Given the piracy I'm seeing in the ColecoVision community now, it would not surprise me that some developers may want to not release binaries of their games. I would think that the act of developing new games for a 34 year old game console and making them available to purchase at a reasonable price is doing quite a bit to support the community. That some developers choose to release the ROM images after they are "sold out" is nice, but again, should not be expected. I'm personally not a big fan of limited releases of games, which is why I try to keep titles available indefinitely in the AtariAge Store. I can certainly understand why people would get upset if, say, 200 copies are sold of a game and then it's never made available again. But even then, you are not owed anything from the developer. If that's the way they want to conduct business, they are well within their right to do so.

..Al

• Like 4

I'm personally not a big fan of limited releases of games, which is why I try to keep titles available indefinitely in the AtariAge Store. I can certainly understand why people would get upset if, say, 200 copies are sold of a game and then it's never made available again.

THIS! And I would certainly hope that ArcadeVision would choose to keep making copies if the demand was there. There are new people being introduced to retrogaming all the time thanks to social media and other outlets and I feel like almost every day I see someone on socials who has discovered homebrews for the first time saying that they were bummed about missing a release here or there. While I get that some homebrewers just don't have the bandwidth to keep multiple copies of physical games always in stock, I would love to see homebrewers either come back around and re-release an older game after some time, or work out a co-publishing deal with a homebrew publisher that does have the time to continually produce and publish games.

thanks, how close is this system from original coleco, maybe that would help to understand why it doesn't work with some mods, have you pics of this ?

How close? Close enough to support ALL titles

You'll have to wait till we're ready to share details

But one thing is sure..... our system is THE DEFINITIVE way to play any Colecovision games out there! :)

• Like 1

There is no interrest to limit the Standard Edition. We will offer it while peoples ask, because we dislike guys making money on our back by reselling...

We understand that some peoples love the ColecoVision but no more have this system. We will do our best to make everybody happy. Just took time.

How close? Close enough to support ALL titles

You'll have to wait till we're ready to share details

But one thing is sure..... our system is THE DEFINITIVE way to play any Colecovision games out there! :)

I think he was referring to colecovision systems that don't play the game properly.

I'm not out to start an argument here, but the whole point is that ArcadeVision didn't go out of their way to make the fact known to people in advance that their game may not run on some systems...or on AtariMax...or in emulation. I am aware some games can't be dumped. I bought Penguin Adventure and Gradius knowing this, but I still bought them. That has nothing to do with anything.Would it have been so difficult to actually tell us this in advance of ordering rather than saying it's on their web page someplace? Until people started complaining I knew nothing about this. When I recorded my interest for the game, I followed a direct link to that page and never saw any mention of possible problems.

I'm not out to start an argument here

Then you shouldn't have responded.

I'm not out to start an argument here, but the whole point is that ArcadeVision didn't go out of their way to make the fact known to people in advance that their game may not run on some systems...or on AtariMax...or in emulation. I am aware some games can't be dumped. I bought Penguin Adventure and Gradius knowing this, but I still bought them. That has nothing to do with anything.Would it have been so difficult to actually tell us this in advance of ordering rather than saying it's on their web page someplace? Until people started complaining I knew nothing about this. When I recorded my interest for the game, I followed a direct link to that page and never saw any mention of possible problems.

Thank you for answering the following question:

Isn't the fact that someone is going out of their way to develop and publish a game on a system that hasn't seen a retail shelf in 30+ years and would normally be dead and forgotten about good enough to make people happy?

It's a shame that just having new games to play isn't good enough for some people. Oh, well...