IGNORED

Risky Rick in Dangerous Traps (June 25th)

It is not to the Risky Rick developpers to provide a diagnostic ROM to check if the Coleco hardware properly operate.

You don't ask to Konami to provide a test CD to know if your PlayStation have lens issues before buying their games.

1- Risky Rick was designed from the begin to push the stock 80s ColecoVision at its best and you was informed that game may not run in other cases.

ArcadeVision have properly informed you for each steps before your receive the game and respected the delay. Here is the limit of our engamements.

2- Risky Rick was intensively tested during months and worked on 100% unmoded French, Spanish, Germal and US systems without any issue.

ArcadeVision have tested each cartridge before assembling the game box. You have this guarranty and free to contact us is something goes wrong.

3- Risky Rick was programmed with optimized code and VRAM timing adjustments. The game run into a sort of demo mode on not accurate systems or illegal copy devices.

ArcadeVision have considered to use this drawback as a feature. No specific code are implemented to limit the game usage to a demo and no DRM system was implemented.

By the way, ArcadeVision is working on a ROM version for peoples buying the game but wanting to run it fully without using the original cartridge.

For more information, please, contact us.

Edited by ArcadeVision
  • Like 1

It is not to the Risky Rick developpers to provide a diagnostic ROM to check if the Coleco hardware properly operate.

It certainly would be nice, though. Many people might not know what's going on inside their ColecoVision... grounding condition, DRAM part numbers, etc.

Was busy to play 2600 games but I could not resist to plug my ColecoVision console and test my brand new Risky Rick game cartridge to verify if I will encounter the bug.

Fortunately, I was able to reach level 2 without any issues. For the record, I used an unmodified ColecoVision console WITH the SGM connected.

Games that do not work on some consoles is possible and surely very hard to prevent. Even back, several 2600 games, like Kool-Aid Man, were not compatible on later revision boards.

Talking about a diagnostic rom, I agree that it would be nice to have one. Granted, not necessarily provided by ArcadeVision.

Edited by BriceZ
  • Like 1

you could sell the rom like collectorvision did for the c64 version of sidney... if i remember right it was 5$us and do what you did with the demo by putting our name in the code... the guy who did dk on intellivision was doing it too by putting the paypal info in the code and nobody complain about it...

I can create Diagnostic Rom to check if Risky Risk will work or not . ArcadeVision just have to provide me the necessary information, if they want.

Risky Rick work fine. Thank you. The required tool is a ColecoVision diagnostic cartridge testing anything into the system, not the game.

Risky Rick work fine. Thank you. The required tool is a ColecoVision diagnostic cartridge testing anything into the system, not the game.

Let me correct my sentence.... i can do a rom that checks if the console is faulty and won't work properly with Risky Risk.

And i can add a battery of others checks , no problem. But this kind of rom already exists i think. Just the part to detect the "faulty" part that cause problem with Rick is missing. Just to avoid that future costumer be frustrated after having ordered the game.

Now , if you don't want , you don't want , no problem.

Edited by youki
  • Like 1

you could sell the rom like collectorvision did for the c64 version of sidney... if i remember right it was 5$us and do what you did with the demo by putting our name in the code... the guy who did dk on intellivision was doing it too by putting the paypal info in the code and nobody complain about it...

I believe they said they are working on something like this already, if the cart doesn't work on your CV.

I believe they said they are working on something like this already, if the cart doesn't work on your CV.

for people who bought the cart yes but for people who dont buy cart... collectorvision teampixelboy opcode they all knows who buying their games... we are a small groupe of people who buy all their games and the build around 75 to 100 copies of each games... exeption for some game like sydney,mario bros,pacman collection and maybe others but not that much... buy selling the rom after the cart are sold out they can get more potential cib customer...by putting info in the rom you prevent the share of roms.... most people here dump their cart play on atarimax and put the box on a shelf they dont even resale it...all publisher could put a copy of their game on ebay at the selling price and leave it there to prevent the high priced resale...

arcadevision your game is awesome and im sure you did all the beta testing on pal and ntsc colecovision...we cant blame you for the ntsc vram problem... by working on a fix for people who bought your game you show us respect and im sure for future game you will take a special care for those problematic vram ... i bought you game and will buy again if you release another one... we should apreciate more the effort to bring highclass game like risky rick... game like this raise the level of game for our loved system.. thank you

• Like 3

How many people are running into this issue? Is it only affecting a particular type of modification? If the developer is unwilling to share a binary without the "security protocol", then hopefully they would offer a refund for those unable to run the game. In my opinion, nobody is OWED an unprotected binary of a game, or even a publicly shared ROM dump. That developers have often provided them is a nicety and may be the norm in this community, but that doesn't mean you should feel entitled to a dump of the game just because you bought a physical copy.

..Al

About half the current 30 cart owners have reported and a little over 50% of modded CV consoles (~13) are incompatible with the game, 0% of the reported stock CVs (~3) are incompatible with the game. The exact hardware that makes it incompatible has not been determined. It may be +5 VRAM mod, it may be "mods + Revision H2 board", [Edit: a couple may be an electronic problem]. The issue on the cart side appears to be a glitch that appeared in the game that was then used for copy protection, so said to be a feature. I don't think they can attribute 50% incompatibility to a console maintenance problem that needs fixing, especially when it is not seen in any stock consoles. I think most people will accept the current status when they get a protected ROM in the near future, as ArcadeVision have indicated they plan to provide. It is helpful for them to provide people with this. I think compatibility has been so high, like over 99%, for all of the past ColecoVision games that buyers who saw the disclaimer did not think it would be very significant, so a bit of a misunderstanding there. Sounds like it has been higher for the 2600, which I think had many more revisions.

• Like 1

Thank you for doing that from the forum posts. We can't confirm the information, as only two guys asked for a support about this issue.

I don't think they can attribute 50% incompatibility to a console maintenance problem that needs fixing, especially when it is not seen in any stock consoles.

While the "modded and incompatible" consoles are not in maintenance to be fixed, we can't have those conclusions.

Thank you for doing that from the forum posts. We can't confirm the information, as only two guys asked for a support about this issue.

Can't explain what their issue was there. For me, I just got around to opening my consoles last night.

I know what is below, now, which I can e-mail you. I still have to look at the CV maintenance manual you posted.

CV1: Does not go to Stage 2

No +5V VRAM mod

green LED mod

AV mod

Rocker switch

socketed controller chips

Board: 75743 Rev H2 AEL/UPC

Tag: 08233

S/N: AO920628

CV2: Does go to Level 2

No +5V VRAM mod

blue LED mod

AV mod

Board: 75743 Rev H2-1

Tag: 191138

S/N: ??? bottom label gone

How many people are running into this issue?

About half the current 30 cart owners have reported and a little over 50% of modded CV consoles (~13) are incompatible with the game, 0% of the reported stock CVs (~3) are incompatible with the game.

Wait. Is this accurate? I just read through the entire thread again and it would appear that so far only *ONE* person is unable to play the game at all. Everyone else can at least play it on some sort of system configuration that they own. And I've even seen several reports that the game does work with some mods like F18a and A/V modded systems. Am I reading the posts incorrectly?

Sorry, but I agree with Albert here:

It's not their problem. You bought a game cartridge that works on the original ColecoVision. There's no way any homebrew author can accommodate variations in modded systems.

Wait. Is this accurate? I just read through the entire thread again and it would appear that so far only *ONE* person is unable to play the game at all. Everyone else can at least play it on some sort of system configuration that they own. And I've even seen several reports that the game does work with some mods like F18a and A/V modded systems. Am I reading the posts incorrectly?

since most of us have multiple system we can play the game.. do you have this game??? probably can you play with your f18a coleco ... me when i turn it on i get the f18a error screen thant i turn it off and on fast than the game start and i can play and pass to level 2... my other coleco is fully stock so i cant test... on my normal adam it work perfectly too. i still have to test on my other adam that play sgm game with out the sgm in to see if the game works..

That is total consoles. Two people have no console that works. One or two people have a stock that works, but prefer their modded ( but will survive). The others have at least one stock or modded CV that works. Im not trying to argue with Al, just answering his questions, and I think it is nice they will give people Roms and try to see if it is electrical with them. Anyhow, I have a good one that works, so I cant complain.

And are those two stock or modded consoles?

Both modded.

Edit: Kevin, who had an issue, never says one way or the other, and does not say if he has another CV that works, so he got left out due to lack of info.

The other two who have none that work are both modded (the consoles, not the people).