IGNORED

Risky Rick in Dangerous Traps (June 25th)

1. I never saw any notice on your web page.

2. I never saw any mention here of possible problems on modded systems until people actually started complaining which was well after I ordered my copy.

3. As I stated before, I prefer running everything on AtariMax or in emulation. It has nothing to do with piracy. It has to do with paying 60+ dollars for a game and wanting to preserve that investment by not over-using the cartridge. Labels scratch with repeated use, boxes scratch and get bent, etc. Your box itself was a challenge getting open. It's like the flap was locked in place and nearly impossible to open without bending or ripping it.

Many games on earth don't work on emulators and everdrive-like systems. By the way, we are selling a game cartridge for a real system and not a ROM for a piracy system.

From the begin, the website inform peoples about the issues on modded systems, expansions, ... And it was many times quoted on this topic too ; before you bought the game without reading.

So please, don't complain here... As you have not tried to contact us at any time to know if we should kindly do something for you.

2. I never saw any mention here of possible problems on modded systems until people actually started complaining which was well after I ordered my copy.

3. As I stated before, I prefer running everything on AtariMax or in emulation. It has nothing to do with piracy. It has to do with paying 60+ dollars for a game and wanting to preserve that investment by not over-using the cartridge. Labels scratch with repeated use, boxes scratch and get bent, etc. Your box itself was a challenge getting open. It's like the flap was locked in place and nearly impossible to open without bending or ripping it.

post-11933-0-55471900-1532041869_thumb.png

• Like 1

So by your logic I should be able to just take my Nintendo Switch Labo cart and dump it and play it off the internal memory of the Nintendo Switch and if I can't do that I should just bitch and complain because Nintendo didn't make something that fits my personal preferences? Nintendo never posted anywhere that you HAD to run Labo off the cart and there wasn't a downloadable option available. Nintendo didn't post anywhere that if I were to mod my Nintendo Switch and one of their games doesn't work that they are responsible for making that game work.

I actually prefer running my Nintendo Switch games from the internal memory and downloading them digitally so I don't have to deal with physical cartridges. But you know what? When Nintendo releases a game that I can't get as a digital download I DON'T GO BITCHING AND COMPLAINING ABOUT IT BECAUSE IT REALLY IS NOT THAT BIG OF A DEAL!!!! I mean, for fucks sake, you're complaining ABOUT THE BOX FLAP!!!! Seriously!?!?! OMG, shut up!!!!

I am just so sick of all the petty bullshit and entitlement I see in this community. It's disgusting sometimes.

I really wish some of you could go work on a game and know exactly what it takes to put together an entire game: the programming, the artwork, the music, the sound FX, the box art, the manual, shipping the game, etc, etc, and then be dealing with a bunch of complaining assholes after you've done all that work to really know and understand just how frustrating it is to make something that should be "fun."

It's the same with so many other homebrews I see. I'm actually shocked that so many games are still being made for the ColecoVision because with all the complaining I see in this community I would have said "fuck it" and moved on to something else a long time ago.

So let that be a HUGE THANK YOU to all those publishers who are still at it and still making games. Damn, I really hope you guys are getting insanely rich from making all those titles because IMO you DESERVE it with all the crap you have to put up with! Kudos to you!

• Like 1

The Dynamic RAM upgrade is more an issue with reliability than with getting rid of the -5V and +12V requirement. The 4116 DRAM chips that the ColecoVision uses are widely known to be prone to failure. It might be because of the voltage ordering at start-up (certain voltages need to be present prior to others). The 4164 DRAM is nearly a drop-in replacement as far as pin-out goes, and it's more reliable than the 4116 chips. As a by-product, it also only requires +5V to operate (so no ordering of start-up voltages is required). If a ColecoVision has bad DRAM, then really the proper repair is to put in 4164 chips. Before this week, there was no reason to use inferior chips and voltage system to repair the ColecoVision DRAM.

i hope this statement does not include me!

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/243746-wip-kaboom/

i have also been subject to steeling asshats see post 28 on page 2 hence i lost interest and have abandoned it for a while but do intend to go back at some point

I really wish some of you could go work on a game and know exactly what it takes to put together an entire game: the programming, the box art, the manual, shipping the game, etc, etc, and then be dealing with a bunch of complaining assholes after you've done all that work to really know and understand just how frustrating it is to make something that should be "fun."
  • Like 1

Do you get my point that I don't like using cartridges that I pay $60-$70 for and would prefer they sit on the shelf in the box while I play them on my AtariMax? A cart with a scratched label or bent box from repeated opening loses its value pretty fast.

It's not their problem. You bought a game cartridge that works on the original ColecoVision. There's no way any homebrew author can accommodate variations in modded systems. I run into this myself with Atari 2600 and 7800 games sold in the AtariAge Store. Sometimes a mod, for whatever reason, causes an incompatibility problem with a specific game someone tries. There's not really much I can do about that.

And just because you have the ability to dump the cartridge and play it using a flash-based cartridge doesn't mean the publisher needs to support your ability to do so. To state that the publisher is engaging in "very misleading sales practices", give me a break. They sold you a game that works fine as sold and as intended--playing the cartridge you purchased on a stock ColecoVision system.

..Al

i hope this statement does not include me!

Nah, just a general rant on things I've seen over the past couple of years. No one specifically targeted, but I'm sure some people know who they are and others like yourself can most certainly relate to where I'm coming from.

Do you get my point that I don't like using cartridges that I pay $60-$70 for and would prefer they sit on the shelf in the box while I play them on my AtariMax?

Yes, we got the point that you have this sense of entitlement that homebrewers are required to make games to your personal likings. That part was loud and clear, don't worry, we all heard you just fine and many eyes were rolled in your direction.

Do you get my point that I don't like using cartridges that I pay $60-$70 for and would prefer they sit on the shelf in the box while I play them on my AtariMax? A cart with a scratched label or bent box from repeated opening loses its value pretty fast.

Well, that seems like the wrong reason to buy games, but hey, that's just me. I like playing the original carts and don't care if my labels aren't as shiny and pristine as the day I received them.

..Al

• Like 1

I'm entitled to my opinion as you are to yours. So if you're sick of it all...leave...I've been beta-testing games for several years with Team Pixelboy so I know a lot about what goes into making these games as far as time and effort and I don't need to be lectured about it.

I'm supportive of all homebrewers, but my whole point here is why release a game that apparently isn't going to run on a good number of systems? It's a valid point.

So by your logic I should be able to just take my Nintendo Switch Labo cart and dump it and play it off the internal memory of the Nintendo Switch and if I can't do that I should just bitch and complain because Nintendo didn't make something that fits my personal preferences? Nintendo never posted anywhere that you HAD to run Labo off the cart and there wasn't a downloadable option available. Nintendo didn't post anywhere that if I were to mod my Nintendo Switch and one of their games doesn't work that they are responsible for making that game work.

I actually prefer running my Nintendo Switch games from the internal memory and downloading them digitally so I don't have to deal with physical cartridges. But you know what? When Nintendo releases a game that I can't get as a digital download I DON'T GO BITCHING AND COMPLAINING ABOUT IT BECAUSE IT REALLY IS NOT THAT BIG OF A DEAL!!!! I mean, for fucks sake, you're complaining ABOUT THE BOX FLAP!!!! Seriously!?!?! OMG, shut up!!!!

I am just so sick of all the petty bullshit and entitlement I see in this community. It's disgusting sometimes.

I really wish some of you could go work on a game and know exactly what it takes to put together an entire game: the programming, the artwork, the music, the sound FX, the box art, the manual, shipping the game, etc, etc, and then be dealing with a bunch of complaining assholes after you've done all that work to really know and understand just how frustrating it is to make something that should be "fun."

It's the same with so many other homebrews I see. I'm actually shocked that so many games are still being made for the ColecoVision because with all the complaining I see in this community I would have said "fuck it" and moved on to something else a long time ago.

So let that be a HUGE THANK YOU to all those publishers who are still at it and still making games. Damn, I really hope you guys are getting insanely rich from making all those titles because IMO you DESERVE it with all the crap you have to put up with! Kudos to you!

Pretty much agreed on the last posts

Homebrewers are free to do what they want, releasing a rom file or not, including a DRM etc..
But remember, you're entirely free to support a project or not.... you're not forced to

You don't like a certain project, don't support it

I don't buy everything that comes out, I make my own choices

• Like 1

OK, well now that I actually read that it sounds like we need to invent a time machine to go back to the 80s and get a supply of fresh, unopened, right off the assembly line ColecoVisions. Then there won't be a problem.

I'm entitled to my opinion as you are to yours. So if you're sick of it all...leave...I've been beta-testing games for several years with Team Pixelboy so I know a lot about what goes into making these games as far as time and effort and I don't need to be lectured about it.

Your efforts beta testing games is noted and appreciated. Your sense of entitlement is not.

Really? I have a send of entitlement? And yet you seem to think your opinion is law and it's the only one that matters. How embarrassing for you. Since you are leaning toward personal attacks now, I will not respond again.

Yes, we got the point that you have this sense of entitlement that homebrewers are required to make games to your personal likings. That part was loud and clear, don't worry, we all heard you just fine and many eyes were rolled in your direction.

would it not have been better to have the complete / nearly complete version and for the demo modify it slightly so that when you exit the first level the game restarts or goes back to the title screen and delete all th data in the demo rom after that point so that future levels are not present and leave the full version as full rather than incorporating both demo and full games into the same rom? this way the same goal would have bene achieved but possbly without the problems experienced.

this being said, it is of course your project and you dealt with it how you wanted to do and i respect that.

im just throwing some ideas around...

that will not work as it switches to demo that is incomplete so you'll never have other levels.there is no software switch to select between full game or demo, only console signals drive the selection without code intervention.if console generate altered signals , the demo will start and you'll be stuck at end of the first level, that's not a bug but a feature...

would it not have been better to have the complete / nearly complete version and for the demo modify it slightly so that when you exit the first level the game restarts or goes back to the title screen.

We was not able to do a proper demo for emulators/atarimax working up to a game over screen + name entry.

It might be nice for potential new customers if there was a compatibility rom they could run on their system so they could see if the system would run the full game. It wouldn't have to contain any of the actual game, but it would let the customer know if the game would run on his system. I imagine it could be like the SGM test rom that checks to verify whether the SGM is plugged in and working.

This way the customer would know ahead of time before purchasing the game whether it would work or not.

• Like 2

It might be nice for potential new customers if there was a compatibility rom they could run on their system so they could see if the system would run the full game. It wouldn't have to contain any of the actual game, but it would let the customer know if the game would run on his system. I imagine it could be like the SGM test rom that checks to verify whether the SGM is plugged in and working.

This way the customer would know ahead of time before purchasing the game whether it would work or not.

Exactly what i proposed here : http://atariage.com/forums/topic/279134-risky-rick-in-dangerous-traps-june-25th/?p=4072439

• Like 2