IGNORED

Myarc cards for sale/repair tips

The Geneve v1.00 is just your boot EPROM.  there is the .0.98 version which shows the Swan at bootup and 1.0 allows you to be able to select a boot device by holding down the space bar.

It was more what is in the snippet of the paper, but MDOS 1.14 refers to the Disk OS (Very old one as we are now on 6.5 and 6.7) it is not the EPROM correct?

But what does the ‘mode’ mean with Caps lock and numlock? (Graphical mode)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There are actually two versions of the Boot EPROM v1.0. They were done by "The Great Gazoo" aka Tony Knerr. Besides eliminating the Swan pic, they added a menu and allowed from loading from a SCSI device. There is one version for non-Genmod Geneves and one for Genmod Geneves. I can supply both of them. 

• Like 2

Everything was working fine...

But now troubleshooting, are there tools for Myarc to test all components? Eg. Test ram chips, etc ?

something happened, but cannot figure it out yet (maybe the heat? 30+ degree Celcius, boards are hot). I saw this message see screenshot, but thought it was my HRD3000 and reformatted it (also i need tools for this card to test). 

I pull out all cards.

Now i can load MDOS from floppy. But it seems suddenly the system hangs. Also in GPL TI mode can load modules, bit some hang as well.

But if it is CPU RAM it is on the board right?

20200816_181941.jpg

1 hour ago, globeron said:

But now troubleshooting, are there tools for Myarc to test all components? Eg. Test ram chips, etc ?

something happened, but cannot figure it out yet (maybe the heat? 30+ degree Celcius, boards are hot). I saw this message see screenshot, but thought it was my HRD3000 and reformatted it (also i need tools for this card to test). 

I pull out all cards.

Now i can load MDOS from floppy. But it seems suddenly the system hangs. Also in GPL TI mode can load modules, bit some hang as well.

20200816_181941.jpg

Yes, it would be one of those 16 dram ic's on the left side of the board. Are yours socketed or soldered directly onto the board?

2 hours ago, RickyDean said:

Yes, it would be one of those 16 dram ic's on the left side of the board. Are yours socketed or soldered directly onto the board?

see picture, directly soldered on the board.

the others are socketed, like above the MDOS 1.00 eprom.
Stacked with a cable soldered to it. 
is there any software to test it ( or a command like myarc can test)

17 hours ago, globeron said:

I pull out all cards.

20200816_181941.jpg

If the picture in the other thread is your Geneve, then the error is almost certainly the result of a failing voltage regulator.  The regulators in the picture are original stock (and missing heat sinks!) as are the capacitors.  If this is the same condition your card is in today, you MUST replace the three lower 5v regulators, replace the associated capacitors, and add heat sinks to the regulators before trying to diagnose any further.  (Edit:  you do have the option of replacing only the failing regulator and then adding heat sinks to all three but I would advise against taking that route).

• Like 2

On 8/17/2020 at 12:55 AM, InsaneMultitasker said:

If the picture in the other thread is your Geneve, then the error is almost certainly the result of a failing voltage regulator.  The regulators in the picture are original stock (and missing heat sinks!) as are the capacitors.  If this is the same condition your card is in today, you MUST replace the three lower 5v regulators, replace the associated capacitors, and add heat sinks to the regulators before trying to diagnose any further.  (Edit:  you do have the option of replacing only the failing regulator and then adding heat sinks to all three but I would advise against taking that route).

This morning I tested again (when temperature is cold) and loaded from floppy disks and adding PEB cards one by one. Except HRD3000. It seems al working so far, like MYART and loading pictures GPL, XBEA,  only TI ARTIST loads until 1st screen and then locks up (might be speed or incompatibility).

I need to study (in the weekend) which components are the 5v voltage regulators and capacitors and to add heat sinks.

( the card is getting quite hot, also because of the climate here. Maybe i need to built a mini datacenter rack with an airconditioner built-in).

3 hours ago, globeron said:

I need to study (in the weekend) which components are the 5v voltage regulators and capacitors and to add heat sinks.

M76 is the regulator that supplies voltage to the sixteen CPU ram (DRAM) chips.  The three circled regulators and adjacent electrolytic capacitors are those most likely to fail over time, especially without heat sinks.  Even with heat sinks they WILL fail eventually.  Or in other words, adding a heat sink will buy you some time but it is not a long-term solution.

There is a fourth 5v regulator near the top of the board and a 12v regulator near top /center that are less problematic. I sometimes leave them as-is depending on the situation.  

If you replace the capacitors near the bottom regulators you should also replace the capacitors near the other two regulators.  They are 30-35 years old by now.  A full refresh would include replacing the other electrolytic caps near the neck and interior of the card. 

If you complete the work yourself, be sure that each newly installed heat sink does NOT touch the capacitor lead nor the regulator lead.  It is recommended that you test the resistance across each regulator's input and the ground and each output and ground, so that you have reference numbers after installation. If the replacement values are substantially different - or more importantly 0, indicating a short - you must find and correct the problem before placing the Geneve into the PEB. 

Some Geneve cards are prone to pad and trace removal upon application of heat and solder. Some more fragile boards are prone to the removal of the inner core while desoldering, often caused by incomplete removal of solder and trying to remove the component from the through-hole too forcefully. If this core is removed, the once-connected inner layer traces may not make contact with the components and/or could present intermittent contact.

Moral of the story:  be careful and take your time. If you don't have the right tools, consider reaching out to someone who does.  Studying is a good thing. 

image.thumb.png.cb6cbf559cc3737a7e417b12f7db71ac.png

• Like 3

I started this a while ago and it may be of value to a few of you. I still needed to validate M13 (doesn't show up on the power grid I have) and confirm that I color-coded correctly. The schematic regulator error identified by @mizapf long ago is represented here as M56.  I might have created a color-coded version of the schematic; I'll look for that later.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2020 at 11:16 AM, InsaneMultitasker said:

M76 is the regulator that supplies voltage to the sixteen CPU ram (DRAM) chips.  The three circled regulators and adjacent electrolytic capacitors are those most likely to fail over time, especially without heat sinks.  Even with heat sinks they WILL fail eventually.  Or in other words, adding a heat sink will buy you some time but it is not a long-term solution.

There is a fourth 5v regulator near the top of the board and a 12v regulator near top /center that are less problematic. I sometimes leave them as-is depending on the situation.  

If you replace the capacitors near the bottom regulators you should also replace the capacitors near the other two regulators.  They are 30-35 years old by now.  A full refresh would include replacing the other electrolytic caps near the neck and interior of the card. 

If you complete the work yourself, be sure that each newly installed heat sink does NOT touch the capacitor lead nor the regulator lead.  It is recommended that you test the resistance across each regulator's input and the ground and each output and ground, so that you have reference numbers after installation. If the replacement values are substantially different - or more importantly 0, indicating a short - you must find and correct the problem before placing the Geneve into the PEB. 

Some Geneve cards are prone to pad and trace removal upon application of heat and solder. Some more fragile boards are prone to the removal of the inner core while desoldering, often caused by incomplete removal of solder and trying to remove the component from the through-hole too forcefully. If this core is removed, the once-connected inner layer traces may not make contact with the components and/or could present intermittent contact.

Moral of the story:  be careful and take your time. If you don't have the right tools, consider reaching out to someone who does.  Studying is a good thing. 

image.thumb.png.cb6cbf559cc3737a7e417b12f7db71ac.png

Thank you for all the drawings!  (this is going to take some time for me, but very helpful!)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
I'm just reviewing this post from beginning to here, because im in the process of receiving a working geneve. The seller said it has a winchester drive port?
Do they all have a connection for the hd?
Anyway, I'm stoked at getting this. 
And I suppose, lots to learn.
The Geneve has no drive controller on board you use a pbox and likely a hfdc if you have a Winchester drive interface

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Nahh. He mentioned the winchester drive, and he would definitely have said so, he definitely said geneve ONLY for my offer.  He'll probably part later with the 2 winchester drives and controller.

But.... I have a tipi already.

I would have tons of questions though IF I get it.

Of course, I should recap it. But I ain't doing it. Someone with more knowledge of has to do it. I ain't taking chances.

Edited by GDMike
  • Like 1

I didn't feel like creating a new topic for this GENEVE program.   It's something I worked on long ago so that I could load GROM cartridges a little easier from the command line. The final pieces such as command-line switches for speed and rompage aren't enabled.  If the BASIC interpreter is desired (and it may be needed to play some cartridges) you'll have to update the first byte in file PLAYG to "FF" and then rename the BASIC groms to PLAYH,PLAYI  (and ensure their first bytes are >FF and >00, respectively).

Like GPL, tap SHIFT-SHIFT-CTRL to exit. There is no GPL menu and once you exit TI mode, you return to MDOS. 

Some of you may not have seen the title screen/ROM by Myarc.   You can replace it with the standard TI ROM if so desired. 

PLAYE EAC  will load EAC cartridge from the current path

PLAYE  A:TOD will load TOD cartridge from A:

@PLAYE

• Like 3