IGNORED

[Music] ColecoVision - Ducktales 1987

newcoleco

This music would be perfect for a side scrolling Duck Tales homebrew :thumbsup:

I'd love to hear the NES boss fight music done this way not to mention the end of level jingle as well as the level select music. Not sure if a CV game can hold so many music files but all the level specific music in NES DuckTales is great.

So many choice NES games I wish would find their way onto CV but many would just be a novelty as most wouldn't play well without smoother scrolling in my opinion. Even augmented with the SGM it seems CV scrolling is just too choppy. A game like Zelda would work better since screens advance one at a time rather than constantly scrolling.

But in my opinion there'd be nothing wrong with modifying a game to advance one screen at a time rather than scrolling. Some games might not work in such a way but DuckTales would work one screen at a time just as long as enemies weren't in unfair spots. Although NES games would require much work to be done from scratch unless there was a comparable MSX version to more easily port.

And from what I gather MSX2 games like Metal Gear or Vampire Killer are just too much for the CV to handle to simply be ported in their current form; even with the current SGM and even though they advance one screen at a time. I love both the CV and the NES and certain classics like DuckTales, Metroid, Zelda(s), Kid Icarus, Castlevania(s), Super Mario Bros, Mega Man(s), Metal Gear, Contra(s), TMNT to name a few would be awesome even if watered down.

I lack the programming knowledge to really understand the interplay between an envisioned ideal scope of a game and how realistically it can be translated to an actual CV game with regards to cartridge memory and/or computing limitations. If it helps save space or computing power I'd forgo constant music tracks and only have sound effects during gameplay and save the large music data for start screen, ends of levels, etc. It would be more of a reward that way as well.

And from what I gather MSX2 games like Metal Gear or Vampire Killer are just too much for the CV to handle to simply be ported in their current form; even with the current SGM and even though they advance one screen at a time.

Oh, they can be done alright, but someone has to sit down and remake all the graphics, and do a lot of other software adjustments to make them work on the CV. Here's what these games could look like after graphic conversion:

post-7743-0-98812400-1527720334.png

• Like 3

Wow. Those pictures do look great. I certainly underestimated what can be achieved. Either game would have tons of support from the community. I think I read that Opcode is working on a Vampire Killer/Castlevania game but I think it's for the planned Super Game Module "Pro" and/or Opcode console.

Without the need for scrolling I guess there's more room to add extra details and even a detailed background underneath as opposed to solid color; or empty black which I'm quite fond of actually. But how many of those screens could the game(s) have? I assume it's always a trade off between having more screens but less details or else having more details but fewer screens.

I've never played Vampire Hunter but from what it seems they were really clever with the level layout in that you can take a leap of faith from one screen and land on an otherwise impossible to reach ledge on another screen. Perhaps there are still death pits at the bottommost screens. I like the idea though of pits that aren't just certain death but actually offer alternative pathways and open games up to non-linear gameplay and/or backtracking.

Edited by rodge2001