IGNORED

FujiConvert 0.1

Xuel

Hello guys

Just tried to FujiConvert the theme from James Bond. Don't know what happened, but the resulting sample sounds way different from the original. I've just now FujiConverted eight songs. Seven of them sound just like the original, "James Bond" sounds different.

If anybody is interested to check out what went wrong during FujiConversion, I can send you the original and the sample file.

Sincerely

Mathy

Edited by Mathy

Hello guys

Just tried to FujiConvert the theme from James Bond. Don't know what happened, but the resulting sample sounds way different from the original. I've just now FujiConverted eight songs. Seven of them sound just like the original, "James Bond" sounds different.

If anybody is interested to check out what went wrong during FujiConversion, I can send you the original and the sample file.

Sincerely

Mathy

I'd be interested in taking a look.

Hello Xuel

Just tried FujiConvert 0.2.1. At first I thought I had done something wrong. But if you press the space bar when asked to press any key, the sample won't play until you hit the space bar again. Oops.

And could you please add the option to choose between "start over" and "stop" when the end of the sample is reached?

Sincerely

Mathy

Good point. This happened because I added space as a play/pause toggle. I'll fix the keyboard routine so it doesn't think the "any key" keypress is a keydown event for the play routine.

I'll also put a loop/stop toggle on the todo list. And Escape to return to the splash screen.

• Like 4

Hello Xuel

The mp3 I used is 5.5 MB, the resulting sample is (when zipped) just under 0.9 MB. How do I get them to you?

Sincerely

Mathy

Fairly sure you can just ZIP them both to a single file, and attach to a post here.

• Like 1

Hello Xuel

attachicon.gifThe James Bond Theme.zip

Sincerely

Mathy

The only thing I would suggest is reducing the Gain parameter to 1 for this song. This song spends most of the time using the full dynamic range, so by using FujiConvert's default gain of 1.5, you get a lot of clipping. Here it is with Gain set to 1:

The James Bond Theme pcm4+4 stereo 32760Hz atarimax pal.zip

• Like 1

Hello Xuel

Thanks. It sounds better, but still isn't anything near "perfect". Would values like 0.9 or 0.8 work?

Sincerely

Mathy

Perhaps. Are you listening on real hardware? It could be that you're hitting the saturation that phaeron described here. Going below unity gain could help in that case.

This song also has a lot of low bass. So perhaps that is interacting badly somehow. The Atari's audio circuit has a high-pass filter to get rid of any DC offset. Maybe it's attenuating the bass.

Good point. This happened because I added space as a play/pause toggle. I'll fix the keyboard routine so it doesn't think the "any key" keypress is a keydown event for the play routine.

I'll also put a loop/stop toggle on the todo list. And Escape to return to the splash screen.

Talking about a todo list... I would like to see colored waveforms instead of just the white ish grey ... Either a Rust or a Kelly green.

I don't even know if a color could be added, but since I played the FairyPDM.xex by phaeron I started to wonder.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/244946-using-pulse-density-modulation-for-8-bit-pcm/?p=4041309

Edited by rdea6

Talking about a todo list... I would like to see colored waveforms instead of just the white ish grey ... Either a Rust or a Kelly green.

I don't even know if a color could be added, but since I played the FairyPDM.xex by phaeron I started to wonder.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/244946-using-pulse-density-modulation-for-8-bit-pcm/?p=4041309

Pretty sure that is possible. The waveform is just a single PM register, using FF for data (with all DMA turned off). So I believe by setting the colour register for that player, you can get any single colour you like.

Tried another conversion today (been listening to a ton of Jonathan Moffet via youtube). I'm not pleased with the results. I tried various gain settings from 0.75 up to 2.0 and there is always a "fuzziness" through the entire song, not just the quiet parts. It's not clipping. I am thinking it's a distortion related to the high dynamic range, and the quiet parts will always have this noise.

06 - Billie Jean pcm4+4 mono 44270Hz ide pal gain 2.0.zip

Edited by Stephen

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

Since the 013 update of the AVG cart, I can now load the SIDE loader and the PDM player to playback PDM files from SD Card.

However I seem to be unable to convert an MP3 to PDM no matter which option I try in FujiConvert.

Options used :

artist:

channels: mono
dither: false
duration: -1
freq: 44270.27027027027
frequency: 44kHz
gain: 1.5
maxsize: 128M
media: ide
method: pcm4+4
offset: 0
period: 37
region: pal
title:

07 Wanderlust.mp3

I also tried using sox ( OS X ) to create a RAW file but no luck either in the PDM player , am I using the wrong options ?

sox --no-dither --norm 07\ Wanderlust.mp3 --encoding un --channels 1 --rate 44000 --bits 8 07\ Wanderlust_44000.pdm

If I playback the raw file using play ( OS X ) the output sounds good.

play -e unsigned -t raw -r 44k -b 8 -c 1 07\ Wanderlust_44000.pdm

Thanks for the tip , trimmed down the MP3 to 2 minutes and now I'm able to playback the PDM.

Still trying to accomplish the same with sox but using these parameters

sox --no-dither --norm Wanderlust_trimmed.mp3 --type raw --encoding un --channels 1 --rate 44000 --bits 8 Wanderlust_44000.pdmpv

I get a very loud , way too fast (Chipmunk style) PDM.

Anybody has a clue how to convert to IDE PDM format using sox ?

• Like 1

Thanks for the tip , trimmed down the MP3 to 2 minutes and now I'm able to playback the PDM.

Still trying to accomplish the same with sox but using these parameters

sox --no-dither --norm Wanderlust_trimmed.mp3 --type raw --encoding un --channels 1 --rate 44000 --bits 8 Wanderlust_44000.pdmpv

I get a very loud , way too fast (Chipmunk style) PDM.

Anybody has a clue how to convert to IDE PDM format using sox ?

You need to interleave the pcm samples in a specific way.

Mono:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/244946-using-pulse-density-modulation-for-8-bit-pcm/page-5?do=findComment&comment=4032449

Stereo:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/279232-fujiconvert-01/page-1?do=findComment&comment=4037039

• Like 1

Gents and ladies. lets not get too carried away after perfection, remember these old machines use hardware not really looking to produce CD quality sound :)

I am awestruck at the quality of the noise coming out of my 130XE and Altirra, its so much better than the stuff from back in the day but its also using resources that we didn't have then or it was in its very infancy (ram upgrades).

Tune away but I saw the words "its not perfect" and I just wanted to remind folk that there's 40yr old design factors in the way :)

It sounds amazing though and I love the vigour from all the folks putting time in to this and I'm proud that its the Atari doing the work, it would be so easy to add a sound producing board but then its not the Atari itself..

• Like 2

Thanks, I wasn't complety following the technical details so sox is out of the question to do batch-processing, no worries your excellent tool provided what I needed to do some testing.