IGNORED

FujiConvert 0.1

Xuel

30 minutes ago, scitari said:

Fun! Is there a way to download the source code for the Atari executable file?

Fujiconvert is basically an online tool that converts a regular MP3 into a format the A8 can playback depending on the cartridge used, it's fairly versatile and there's a number of options you can tweak.

However I'm not too sure what the Atari executable file is you talk of?

Edited by Mazzspeed
Typo

Been a while since any new conversions were attached to the thread, so here's three.

All of them are encoded at 44KHz for NTSC in mono from 320Kbps / 44Khz MP3s taken from CDs.  Tracks are:

AC/DC: Thunderstruck

Front Line Assembly: Provision (12" Mix)

Sigue Sigue Sputnik: Atari Baby

'Thuderstruck' is probably the best in terms of conversion quality.  'Provision' really needs to be in stereo, as the panning and flanging effects it uses just don't come across in mono and give it a very flat overall sound.  'Atari Baby' is probably somewhere in the middle for quality: it's quiet, but that's because the album (rather surprisingly for one from the mid-1980s) wasn't over-produced before mastering.

AC-DC - The Razor's Edge - 01 - Thunderstruck pdm14 mono 44610Hz ide ntsc.pdm Hot Wired Monstertrux - 08 - Front Line Assembly - Provision (12-inch Mix) pdm14 mono 44610Hz ide ntsc.pdm Sigue Sigue Sputnik - Flaunt It - 02 - Atari Baby (Uzi Baby) pdm14 mono 44610Hz ide ntsc.pdm

• 1 month later...

I am having trouble getting Fujiconvert0.1 to convert at 44khz in stereo. It always outputs at 22khz and mono. Whilst it sounds ok the sample quality is lower and I really want to see what Stereo is like. I've also tried via a different browser (Both Chrome and Edge just in case).

I am trying to convert PDM 44khz stereo for playing on SIDE3 on an 800XL U1MB PAL A8 with Stereo.

I am using the IDE player output media and selecting 44khz, with the following settings:

image.thumb.png.3abbf0fea3f78024f45e35f059adc959.png

EDIT: I've just seen with Stereo selected it halves the output of the 44khz. So I get that now but not why I am not getting a stereo output. I definitely have stereo enabled as just played the Cyberpunk demo and it recognises Stereo in the config and then outputted in Stereo to both speakers. Soon as I play a Stereo PDM Fujiconverted 22khz file it only outputs in mono. :? (Files attached)

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Origa-Rise pdm16 stereo 22135Hz ide pal.pdm

3 The Son Of Flynn pdm16 stereo 22135Hz ide pal.pdm

Edited by Beeblebrox

Afaik, Flashjazzcat's old player only does mono, no matter if you have a mono or stereo file. The newer player for SIDE3 cart. (and most-likely also SIDE / SIDE 2 ?) requires certain extenders for mono/stereo and/or PDM/Covox, so you simply have to rename the file extenders. FJC can tell you more about it (or you can look it up in the manual).

2 hours ago, CharlieChaplin said:

Afaik, Flashjazzcat's old player only does mono, no matter if you have a mono or stereo file. The newer player for SIDE3 cart. (and most-likely also SIDE / SIDE 2 ?) requires certain extenders for mono/stereo and/or PDM/Covox, so you simply have to rename the file extenders. FJC can tell you more about it (or you can look it up in the manual).

Ah that explains it.. Many thanks. ?

22 hours ago, CharlieChaplin said:

@CharlieChaplin  ok, found it here:https://atari8.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Ultimate-1MB-Incognito-and-1088XEL-U1MB-Firmware-Manual.pdf  on page 50. As you rightly stated you just need to use the right extenders. So I renamed the stereo conversions with the extender PDS, popped the SDcard back in my SIDE3 cart and powered it up. Bingo - stereo playback!  The quality of the Origa Rise stereo conversion is particularly impressive in Stereo!  The A8's never cease to amaze me. Thanks so much and a big thanks to @flashjazzcat for the PDM player function in Side3. :grin:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2021 at 4:20 PM, CharlieChaplin said:
*.PDM = mono PDM
*.PDS = stereo PDM
*.COV = mono Covox
*.COS = stereo Covox

Would be nice if Xuel's player for the AVG cart would also use this convention (since we would need only one player and no pre-sets then).

Done. This is now implemented in 0.3.5.

Select "Covox" under "Playback Method" to get "cov" or "cos". All other playback methods are assumed to be "pdm" or "pds".

The PDM Settings are now also disabled when selecting Covox. This means .cov and .cos files will have a simple linear mapping from sample values to 8-bit values, i.e. the same as you would get with PDM preset "16 16 0".

https://lybrown.github.io/fujiconvert/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Xuel

Many thanks for implementing the latter and also for this excellent tool. ?

Quick question - I've tried looking for a quick guide/manual/readme to explain all the settings, (both here on AA and also Github). Does one exist?

I find I am flying blind with my conversions when attempting to create my mono and stereo files for my SIDE3 cart, PAL A8. As you'll see in previous posts in this topic thread I've now mastered creating and playing stereo files, but it is hit and miss as to the output quality even when I use the same settings for the files. 

So generally I don't realy know or understand what the following settings in the red boxes annotated in the following are or do:

image.png.ab58a87e5929a3b3f81f2a6da3239130.png

Will some boost the volume of the output files also as some of my conversions are very quiet? Or will some help clear up static, improve bass, etc etc? (I appreciate a lot of quality from the source track will be lost naturally).

I've tried converting some of my Tron Legacy tracks and there is lot's of static (which I know given sample rate is inevitable in some cases), but on another conversion using the same settings there is no static. Is this to do with the quality of the source track?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I am off to listen to my Origa Rise conversion. (posted above btw in post #378 (albeit that version needing renaming to PDS to play stereo which I've done since)

Edited by Beeblebrox
adding more info
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

Will some boost the volume of the output files also as some of my conversions are very quiet? Or will some help clear up static, improve bass, etc etc? (I appreciate a lot of quality from the source track will be lost naturally).

You need to increase the gain. However, baby steps or you'll go from quiet to clipping in no time at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Xuel said:

Done. This is now implemented in 0.3.5.

Select "Covox" under "Playback Method" to get "cov" or "cos". All other playback methods are assumed to be "pdm" or "pds".

The PDM Settings are now also disabled when selecting Covox. This means .cov and .cos files will have a simple linear mapping from sample values to 8-bit values, i.e. the same as you would get with PDM preset "16 16 0".

https://lybrown.github.io/fujiconvert/

Errmmm,

I see you updated the converter (Fujiconvert) - and what about the player for the AVG cart ?

Would be great to get a new or updated 800/XL/XE player for AVG-cart, so whenever I choose a *.COS file it will automatically set playback to Covox and stereo or when I choose *.PDS it will automatically set playback to PDM and stereo, etc.

5 hours ago, CharlieChaplin said:

Would be great to get a new or updated 800/XL/XE player for AVG-cart, so whenever I choose a *.COS file it will automatically set playback to Covox and stereo or when I choose *.PDS it will automatically set playback to PDM and stereo, etc.

I would need to work with tmp to get that working based on file extensions. I'll work on it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. Just converted one of the tracks of one of my most favourite PC games of all time: Outcast by Infograms (c 1999). I still have the game on CDROM.

BITD I'd spend whole weekends in my then studio flat playing this game on an overclocked AMD K6-2 233mhz PC which was water cooled. (The game is purely software driven and thus didn't utlilise 3D graphics hardware at the time). :D  Anyway I digress.

For me this game was and still is one of the most inspiring as it does what all great immersive adventure/role playing games should do IMHO - takes you to another world and let you freely interact with characters. The music was a massive part of that experience.

The Orchestral soundtrack was one of the highlights of this groundbraking Voxel based game and this particular track, IHMO has converted really well.

I am not an audiophile and, sure, in the quieter parts of the track towards the end it loses it a bit. However for me to hear this music from a game I loved to death coming out of my 800XL in stereo is something really special. 

Check it out. Sounds best outputted on speakers, (in stereo of course). (I have some simple 15 year old PC desktop speakers and it sounds amazing!) :music:

Also there appears to be a remake which I must check out called Outcast Second contact from 2017, with hi res graphics. I am so pleased to see has the same music score:

image.thumb.png.e4526ffc20cc76c1c0b14f8fa12bf352.png

Outcast - 12 - World Of Temples pdm16 stereo 22135Hz ide pal gain 3 16 16 0.pds

Edited by Beeblebrox

Some great stereo ambient tracks from the legendary game that is the Skyrim. Theses are in game soundtracks. I've often love walking around in Skyrim VR with these tracks playing as I explore it. Now I can listen to them on my Atari 800XL via SIDE3 player too!:music:

All stereo with IDE player setting with gain set to 3 and preset is 16 16 0 on all:

Skyrim Far Horizons pdm16 stereo 22135Hz ide pal gain 3 16 16 0.pds

Skyrim Journeys End pdm16 stereo 22135Hz ide pal gain 3 16 16 0.pds

These ones struggle a little for the first 10-15 seconds with static as it starts off quiet - give em a chance - both hauntingly beautiful:

Skyrim Streets of Whiterun pdm16 stereo 22135Hz ide pal gain 3 16 16 0.pds

Skyrim from past to present pdm16 stereo 22135Hz ide pal gain 3 16 16 0.pds

Honestly to hear these streaming from an A8 still blows my mind!:D:music:  Thanks Xuel for creating Fujiconvert and Flashjazzcat for incorporating a PDM player into SIDE3.

Best listened to on Stereo A8s with powered speakers unless your TV/monitor set up has good ones. (I mentioned in an earlier post I have some cheap 15 year old PC desktop speakers (with base and volume settings), and it really sounds great). 

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, mistapaul said:

16 16 0 (preset), but I used a program to widen the stereo sound.

@mistapaul  ah, I am intrigued.:P Would you mind sharing what you do and which software if it isn't too much trouble? I am very keen to maximise the quality of my own conversions.

Edited by Beeblebrox

8 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

@mistapaul  ah, I am intrigued.:P Would you mind sharing what you do and which software if it isn't too much trouble? I am very keen to maximise the quality of my own conversions.

https://audioalter.com/3d-audio

pass the MP3 through here 

Pass original MP3 then save the pass the saved MP3 through and save and use on fujiconvert.

There is lots of options on this software and it's free..

Edited by mistapaul
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, mistapaul said:

https://audioalter.com/3d-audio

pass the MP3 through here 

Pass original MP3 then save the pass the saved MP3 through and save and use on fujiconvert.

There is lots of options on this software and it's free..

@mistapaul  Thanks for the Audio Alter link and the heads up.  I've been playing around with the 3D audio enhancer function as well as trying different settings on Fujiconvert to enhance some of the Skyrim and also Tempest 2000 tracks I have. (I read a few older posts in this thread attempting to gain an understanding of things like DC offset, etc etc. Tiny bit more enlightened after doing so, and a bit of Googling. :thumbsup:

I've found the following Fujiconvert settings are quite good at noticably mitigating somewhat against the distortion you get in the quieter bits of the tracks. (So the sort of fizz/pop cutting in and out sound at extreme lower levels), whilst still allowing some good upper level/louder audio to come through. You still get the contant background light hissing of course given it's 22kHz stereo but I can live with that. (You can tell I am no audio technician with the use of this terminology eh?).;)

So I am currently leaving auto gain off, (using a gain of 4), DC offset of -7, then 16 for course levels, 2 for fine levels, 0 for bump, 5/7 for non linear and 4/6 for linear:

image.thumb.png.87631ed4a2ed087fbf01f182ba1b6374.png

I posted earlier versions of some of the following tracks in this thread. IHMO I think these new versions are improvements and the stereo still sounds great on my speakers:

Skyrim Far Horizons audio alter 3d gain 4 DC offset minus 7 16 2 0 5_7 4_6 pdm2 stereo 22135Hz ide pal.pds

Skyrim Streets of Whiterun cropped gain 4 dc offset minus 7 16 2 0 non linear pulse 5_7 linear pulse 4_6 pdm2 stereo 22135Hz ide pal.pds

Skyrim from past to present audio alter 3D gain 4 DC offset minus7 16 2 0 5_7 4_6 pdm2 stereo 22135Hz ide pal.pds

and of course a bit of Tempest 2000. (This one not 3D audio alter enhanced as for some reason the track conversion kept outputting a 10k corrupted file):

Tempest 2000 Mind's Eye gain 4 DC offset minus 7 16 2 0 5_7 4_6 pdm2 stereo 22135Hz ide pal.pds

(Maybe a bit distortion with the drum and bass (could be my speakers) - but can Tempest 2000 tracks have too much bass?!:P:music:

• Like 2

ooo I'm 'avin fun with this! :music:

So as before they've been ran through Audio Alter 3D audio enhancer, then Fujiconvert with the following settings:

Auto gain off, (using a gain of 4), DC offset of -7, then 16 for course levels, 2 for fine levels, 0 for bump, 5/7 for non linear and 4/6 for linear

Some tracks from the classic Anime movie Ghost in the Shell:

Ghost in the shell 07 - Nightstalker Audio alter 3D gain 4 DC offset minus7 16 2 0 5_7 4_6 pdm2 stereo 22135Hz ide pal.pds

Ghost in the Shell 08 - Floating Museum Audio alter 3D gain 4 DC offset minus7 16 2 0 5_7 4_6 pdm2 stereo 22135Hz ide pal.pds

Ghost in the Shell - Making of Cyborg Audio alter 3D gain 4 DC offset minus7 16 2 0 5_7 4_6 pdm2 stereo 22135Hz ide pal.pds

• Like 1

Another Ghost in the Shell track same Fujiconvert settings as above post (no Audio alter pass through - file not compatible again for some reason). Track by the late Origa (love the vocals and harmonys):

Ghost in the Shell 11 Inner Universe 11 Inner Universe Origa Gain 4 DC offset minus 7 16 2 0 5_7 4_6 pdm2 stereo 22135Hz ide pal.pds

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 1