IGNORED

Intellivision Entertainment launching a NEW Intellivision console

Rev

So I'm finally picking up on the fact that Tommy & Company seem to be targeting the Atari Box/VCS.

Not only did Tommy state that the system would not be competing with modern systems nor stream Netflix (two things the Atari VCS is supposed to do), but the announcement came the day before the VCS indiegogo campaign and their Q & A is on May 31st, the day after.

Maybe it's all a coincidence, but I could see the timing of everything taking some sales and headlines from the VCS.

I'm hoping for a controller not only more comfortable than the original, but with the ability to work with the original systems too (crosses fingers).

Edited by nosweargamer

I think this system will be full of compromises because the industry doesn't yet understand how to properly adapt software emulation so that behaves 100% like a physical console. Oh the gameplay and graphics and accuracy are easy to get spot-on and all that. But when it comes to controllers and conventions and switches, makers of these consoles still come up short. Even in 2018.

Not only that, they get sidetracked into adding the internet and monetization.

Truly what is 'old' is 'new' again. I, too, signed up and want to see what becomes of this project. I am still tracking the Collectorvision and OpCode ColecoVision gaming consoles, although it seems both now are squabbling with one another instead of working together to enhance the other's project. Oh well, retro gaming definitely is becoming more and more mainstream. Let's see what the Intellivision crew cooks up and how that fits into the grand gaming scheme of things.

As retrogaming continues to go mainstream it becomes more and more important to tune out internet noise and simply wait for products to become available in real-physical-life.

Otherwise you'll be endlessly discussing and baggie-chasing these vaporware consoles AND NOT actually enjoy what the hobby has to offer.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 7

Key selling points to me ..enable old intellivision games to be played online with others and a matchmaking system or ability to schedule a game session with others ...not that excited otherwise ...I would be willing to pay a small subscription fee for this

• Like 1

I'm ignorant of what's going on w/ the Atari console. Considering we've got BSRs and pretty hard-core Intellivision fans involved based on the announcement, I'm feeling optimistic. One thing that's been unique about Intellivision in the "modern world" (1995 and later) is the direct continuity and dedicated stewardship of the brand. Whether that's always been the most successful is of course open to debate, but I see that as unique and encouraging.

• Like 5

"Nintendo jumpstarted the retro gaming trend..."

Of course they did. :roll:

They're not wrong .... they're not saying they started it, but that they JUMP-started it. Atari and Sega started it with AtGames, Analogue made it fancy, but Nintendo made it hot again.

to impart fresh or renewed energy to (something) : energize

• a plan to jump-start the stagnant economy
  • Like 3

As retrogaming continues to go mainstream it becomes more and more important to tune out internet noise and simply wait for products to become available in real-physical-life.

Otherwise you'll be endlessly discussing and baggie-chasing these vaporware consoles AND NOT actually enjoy what the hobby has to offer.

Agreed. It seems a lot more tuning is required now and more so probably will be required in the future. Hopefully, that means there will be a lot more products available too.

If its emulation, then I have no interest as that can be done today.

Well it isn't going to be original chips or remakes of them. That is too costly and limiting in modern functionality.

It will be new modern (cheaply available) hardware with emulation to pick up the old material, and new software would run natively in linux/arm or some other already beaten-to-death low-cost SoC.

I like the "lessons learned" approach that they're taking here. That also includes what sounds like creating a modest system with minimalist goals that should be easily achievable. There's something to be said for this refreshing restraint in essentially rebirthing a classic brand. I will watch this one closely.

• Like 8

At least there is some continuity and connection to the old original branding here. And they aren't hyping to all hell and back either. Not making it into something it's not. So that's promising.

I prefer Tellarico's methodology and philosophy better than that ataribox. On top of that, the wife said that the aura around the intellivision project isn't circus-like and not prone to spawning a 350 page thread about tacos, that (thread) is just wrong.

Edited by Keatah