IGNORED

Intellivision Entertainment launching a NEW Intellivision console

Rev

Update from the Facebook live stream:

Tommy Tallarico is on an Electric Playground livestream, and he's dishing out a bunch of information that wasn't part of the press release. Here are some additional details: Classic Intellivision games will be pre-loaded onto the internal HDD; HDMI is supported; there won't be any physical game releases; the price range will be "much less than $200," and there will be edutainment titles available. Why all this pertinent information is coming out as Talerico shoots from the hip -- well, your guess is as good as mine.]

Intellivision will release a new console this year. A brand that has its name steeped in retro is stepping into the modern age.

Nearly everything else, apart from the fact that there's a new machine coming on October 1, is a complete mystery. Intellivision sent out a press release detailing its inventive history, while also saying that this console will "carry on the company's history of 'firsts' with its new concept, design, and approach to gaming." There's also mention of this product being "affordable," which is certainly a relative term.

https://www.destructoid.com/-update-it-s-2018-and-there-s-a-new-intellivision-console-505177.phtml

• Like 1

"The Intellivision community stayed tight"

https://youtu.be/-orQjQil2-8

Wait, wait........hold on. You're telling me there's a market for drinking whilst talking about video games on YouTube? On a scale of one to even, I just can't. I mean, what am I even doing with my life? I've already nailed the drinking part. I just need to drop out of the rat race and get a YouTube channel.

• Like 2

I envision a $100ish version of essentially the (S)NES Classic, in woodgrain, with similar hardware and tons of bundled INTV games. We already know the hardware is powerful enough to run basically any 1980s emulator, and a fair bit of more "modern" games (2D stuff at least).

Seems doable - and I'm very interested. Curious to see what they do with controllers. I hope they express interest in working with the homebrew community to select maybe the top 5 homebrews to put on it as a nice treat. Licensing wouldn't be expensive if they talk to the right people. Some of us would just love the exposure. Hint, hint, Tommy ;)

• Like 2

Wait, wait........hold on. You're telling me there's a market for drinking whilst talking about video games on YouTube? On a scale of one to even, I just can't. I mean, what am I even doing with my life? I've already nailed the drinking part. I just need to drop out of the rat race and get a YouTube channel.

It's always a special moment when you can witness someone finding their true purpose, their calling in life, that which makes them complete. Congrats buddy! You do you! ???

Article was standard. But the comment section was fun!

I think he meant the overall impression of the Slashdot users, for example:

I know where he is coming from. Wouldn't it be cool to have a cheap, 2D-focused console that had all kinds of old-school games for it?

Yes, it would. But who is going to buy it? EVERY console can play those games. Every phone can play those games.

Even if it sells for $30, there is no "killer app" for such a thing, and there never will be, because any game that would run on this thing will run on EVERYTHING else, and "everything else" is a much bigger market. So why bother making it for this system at all?

But like I said, it's a neat idea, and I wish we lived in a world where something like this could work. But it wont'.

Congrats to Paul by the way! I look forward to him interviewing himself on the podcast. ?

I might have missed it on a previous page, what's nurmix going to do for the new company?

As. Soon as I saw Tommy's name with this I immediately figured Paul would also be involved somehow. Happy to hear I was right - congrats Paul! Intellivisionaries FTW!

Intellivision was the first to have the pause feature on the hand controllers. There's a few innacuracies in the announcement.

From what I understand the Intellivision Flashback did okay but not well enough to have a Flashback v2. So these guys do have a challenge, especially if they are upping the price.

I think Nurmix is working on the controllers.

Edit:

According to the venturebeat article, Tommy Tallarico purchased a share of Intellivision Productions from the estate of Keith Robinson. Are there any other new owners?

Edited by mr_me

"The Intellivision was the first video game console that had a built in PAUSE feature". - I am pretty sure the Fairchild Channel F was the first to have a built in pause?

https://arstechnica....t-jerry-lawson/

There are definitely several inaccuracies in there, including the Intellivision being the first console that could be converted to a computer. Technically, the Astrocade was with the BASIC add-on, while, if you wanted to go for a full-blown experience, the APF M/MP1000 and its Imagination Machine add-on predated even the Keyboard Component, let alone the ECS.

• Like 1

just signed up for that "special and unique Limited Edition version of the console which will not be made available in stores".

I think the value of my Flashback may have just dropped. :(

Do flashbacks have value? Aside from the crazy people on eBay that is :)

Kinda of ironic that the original Atari/Intellivision console war involved Atari taking the lower price point ($200) sacrificing at least one feature (graphics) vs Intellivision's $300 model playing the graphics card. This round Atari is taking the pricier full featured approach, while Intellivision takes more of a Wii approach. Oh, how the turntables.

Kinda of ironic that the original Atari/Intellivision console war involved Atari taking the lower price point ($200) sacrificing at least one feature (graphics) vs Intellivision's $300 model playing the graphics card. This round Atari is taking the pricier full featured approach, while Intellivision takes more of a Wii approach. Oh, how the turntables.

The Atari 2600 came out a few years earlier, so I don't think it was about taking a lower price point. That was about the max they could charge at the time, which was nothing to sneeze at. The market was probably a bit stronger by the time the Intellivision came out and they marketed it as more of an upgrade of a system. Both starting price points in today's dollars are rather eye-opening.

Intellivision was the first to have the pause feature on the hand controllers. There's a few innacuracies in the announcement.

From what I understand the Intellivision Flashback did okay but not well enough to have a Flashback v2. So these guys do have a challenge, especially if they are upping the price.

I think Nurmix is working on the controllers.

Edit:

According to the venturebeat article, Tommy Tallarico purchased a share of Intellivision Productions from the estate of Keith Robinson. Are there any other new owners?

Unfortunately, there are some inaccuracies in the press release. That's true the Channel F allowed pause before the Intellivision. I think what was being alluded to was that the Intellivision did that before the 5200, since Atari made a big deal about that in the ads of the day. And yep, the APF M/MP1000 Imagination Machine was the first game console/computer combination. I will see what I can do to correct those mistakes, although I'm not really involved with the marketing side of things.

The Flashback did well enough to warrant a Flashback 2. Intellivision Productions was in talks with AT Games, but the project was put on hold for reasons I can't really go into.

There are also a number of inaccuracies in the various stories being reported. One is that Tommy Tallarico purchased Intellivision Productions from the estate of Keith Robinson. Intellivision Productions is still owned by Stephen Roney (and other BSRs). Intellivision Entertainment is a separate company headed by Tommy, created strictly for this new console project.

As for my role, I'm helping in the development of the console (which obviously includes the controllers). It's a group effort putting this together with the other members of the team (which right now consists of Tommy Tallarico, Bill Fisher, Stephen Roney, and Emily Rosenthal, with some other hardware and design folks being consulted who may or may not work on the project). I'm obviously coming from the same perspective as most of you here. Being a lifelong Intellivision fan, I want it to be the best it can be. Nothing is off the table yet, as far as features, as we're still in the early stages of figuring out what this thing needs to be. Input from people here, home brew game publishers, and fans are all being taken into consideration and discussed. In other words, I'm open to questions here going forward.

• Like 11

[snip]

As for my role, I'm helping in the development of the console (which obviously includes the controllers). It's a group effort putting this together with the other members of the team (which right now consists of Tommy Tallarico, Bill Fisher, Stephen Roney, and Emily Rosenthal, with some other hardware and design folks being consulted who may or may not work on the project). I'm obviously coming from the same perspe[snip]

In other words, I'm open to questions here going forward.

As the master of the next generation of controllers, please make sure the new console has one each of these for the new games that will be made for the system:

1. High performance version of the existing controller

2. Power Glove!

3. Rumble pack capability in the controller

4. Rumble seat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMnQnClvP2c

5. Accept an Xbox 360 or PS one controller

6. Controller with Dreamcast-like VMU (make plays in Super Super Pro Pro Football on your controller instead of on-screen, keep your visible cards to yourself in Super Super Pro Pro Poker & Blackjack)

OK, just kidding. Except for #4, our butts do need to rumble when we play new games.

• Like 1

There are also a number of inaccuracies in the various stories being reported. One is that Tommy Tallarico purchased Intellivision Productions from the estate of Keith Robinson. Intellivision Productions is still owned by Stephen Roney (and other BSRs). Intellivision Entertainment is a separate company headed by Tommy, created strictly for this new console project.

The venturebeat story says Tomy T bought a share of Intellivision productions from the estate of Keith R. Is that not correct? That wouldn't affect Steve Roney's or anyone else's share in Intellivision Productions. They would all be partners.

Lots of different ways you can go with the controllers. USB or DE-9 pin compatible? I think you have to stay with the Intellivision form factor but with comfort improvements, and eliminating ghost keypad presses. If you go USB you can make it software switchable to an ultimate Intellivision controller. Maybe include one Intellivision and one xbox style in the box.

• Like 1