IGNORED

Intellivision Entertainment launching a NEW Intellivision console

Rev

Ouch!

ultimately neither the original Atari nor Intellivision could find their way to a prosperous future. That’s an unfortunate aspect of video-game history that their reincarnations may also faithfully re-create.

Double-ouch! :-o

Both projects are destined to fail. I said it before, and will reiterate, there is NO market for these things. The author mentioned Ouya and Mojo, good examples. Both failed. The only viable products right now are the Big 3 consoles, which can deliver non-gaming content, and companies like Apple, Roku, Samsung, etc., which provide gaming on their non-gaming products.

The biggest thing I see that would make it fail, is not providing a cartridge port for either system.

Without a cart port, titles will always be missing from the library because of licensing. With a port, you would be able to play those games on the new console without infringing on licensing rights.

The biggest thing I see that would make it fail, is not providing a cartridge port for either system.

Without a cart port, titles will always be missing from the library because of licensing. With a port, you would be able to play those games on the new console without infringing on licensing rights.

I think only a small percentage of people care about physical media these days. I see no downside with going all digital, especially for products like these.

• Like 2

I think only a small percentage of people care about physical media these days. I see no downside with going all digital, especially for products like these.

You Really believe that , In my opinion I think people do want physical media and it will make a comeback with the younger generations just like records are right now..chartoftheday_7699_lp_sales_in_the_unite

• Like 2

I believe offering a choice of physical Cart and /or with a digital copy included is the way to go. People are reverting to having to physically touch and see something again...

Edited I typed to fast..

Edited by m-crew

Yeah, I don't believe that for a second. Vinyl is still a tiny niche of the larger music industry and it offers a specific type of alternative experience (rougher quality, idiosyncrasies, etc.) to regular digital music. Physical media, cartridge or disc, offers nothing alternative to its digital counterpart. It's just a way to take up space and give the illusion of ownership (after all, almost all modern games receive regular updates/require online verification). No one is clamoring for physical media.

Anyway, whatever one's opinion, it's not going to change the fact that neither the VCS or the Intellibox will have cartridge slots. It's unnecessary to their stated goals.

• Like 2

I haven't read this whole thread, but I had an idea... Sorry if it's a dumb idea, but I figured I'd throw it out there. Why not put a full size SD slot on top of these systems, so a "cartridge" shell (which really only holds the SD card) can be inserted old school, but utilizing modern media. Perhaps some type of indent around the SD card slot would help hold the "cartridges" snugly in place. This way, for those who like labels and boxes, they'd have something to work with, while still allowing straight SD functionality for those of us who live in tiny apartments...

• Like 1

Yeah, I don't believe that for a second. Vinyl is still a tiny niche of the larger music industry and it offers a specific type of alternative experience (rougher quality, idiosyncrasies, etc.) to regular digital music. Physical media, cartridge or disc, offers nothing alternative to its digital counterpart. It's just a way to take up space and give the illusion of ownership (after all, almost all modern games receive regular updates/require online verification). No one is clamoring for physical media.

Anyway, whatever one's opinion, it's not going to change the fact that neither the VCS or the Intellibox will have cartridge slots. It's unnecessary to their stated goals.

You may be right but these consoles will be as you put it," A Very tiny niche of the larger video game industry " as well. What will make it different from the others that tried and failed.. A cart slot.. ;) I still think you are wrong about physical media,

Edited by m-crew

Every once in a while I think it would be cool to pickup a record player. Then I see $25 price tags for new records and remember having to flip the album every 25 minutes or so, and I say maybe not.

lol, That's part of the whole listening experience, ;)

• Like 2

Bill,

I agree that digital is better, but what I was alluding to is that all titles will not be available digitally. It just happens that physical media solves that problem. How many titles can Intellivision Entertainment provide digitally without paying more license fees? 60? like in the flashback? A cart port allows me to play all the games.

You Really believe that , In my opinion I think people do want physical media and it will make a comeback with the younger generations just like records are right now..chartoftheday_7699_lp_sales_in_the_unite

I still play my humble record collection from the 70's and 80's. I have around 400 L.P.s and 100 singles.

I even have one laser disk! (will never be able to play it though but it looks nice)

• Like 2

While I agree that having a cartridge slot would be very nice, so much is done digitally nowadays that having one really is a luxury. I think Intellivision's business model for this console is pretty good (IMO) and I think it could be a minor success if they do things right.

I still play my humble record collection from the 70's and 80's. I have around 400 L.P.s and 100 singles.

I even have one laser disk! (will never be able to play it though but it looks nice)

kool , I luv my collection as well . You are one of the lucky ones that kept their collection!!!

digital is better, really you listen to a digital recording and then listen to a analog recording pressed on vinyl their is no comparison .. Old analog recordings just captures more of the music feel than a digital recording does.. So digital is not always better.. ;)

edited for spelling error.. see I caught one.. lol

Edited by m-crew

kool , I luv my collection as well . You are one of the lucky ones that kept their collection!!!

digital is better, really you listen to a digital recording and then listen to a analog recording pressed on vinyl their is no comparison .. Old analog recordings just captures more of the music feel than a ditital recording does.. So digital is not always better.. ;)

Well, digital is not always better because on a good Hi-Fi system the dynamic range that opens up (on a LP) can be simply amazing.

Also so many people listen to music in compressed formats that they are just missing out on how good even digital music can sound.

Edited by Utopia
  • Like 1