IGNORED

Intellivision Entertainment launching a NEW Intellivision console

Rev

No, you are right. I would rather have it built in. But like it was said in the podcast, and they were being generous, maybe 20% of all sales would find a cart port useful. That would mean that 80% would be spending more money (because it costs money to add it) for something they would never use. So, I think that making it an add-on is a good solution. Those that want it can have it.

BTW, I would spend the extra money for the add-on for the simple reason that the new console with add-on has to be smaller than any Intellivision console with the ECS and Intellivoice plugged in.

Boom! That makes it good for me.

That %80 to %20 ratio is a guessamate. ;)

Think about doesnt it make sense to add it in production included at cost for a slight increase per unit across the 100000 projected in sales ;). Then to have people pay mostly likely the cost of the console itself to add the add on.

They can also use that it has a port as an added selling feature of the console.

Those reasons not to add the port mentioned by IE are In my opinion only reasons justifing their decision not to have it included.

But this is just my opinion on that.

All we can do is wait and see.

I say this with all sincerity and no ill will, but I'm thinking anyone who still insists on using their original carts on an emulator box should really take stock in their life and consider what's important. If you're running original carts on original hardware, so be it. However, if you insist on plugging a cart into modern computer running software to pretend to be the original hardware, you should evaluate your Rube Goldberg tendencies and embrace your mortality. Welcome to the 90's.

rube.png

• Like 2

I say this with all sincerity and no ill will, but I'm thinking anyone who still insists on using their original carts on an emulator box should really take stock in their life and consider what's important. If you're running original carts on original hardware, so be it. However, if you insist on plugging a cart into modern computer running software to pretend to be the original hardware, you should evaluate your Rube Goldberg tendencies and embrace your mortality. Welcome to the 90's.

rube.png

I don't want the port because I'm a stuffy collector who doesn't want competition, but I do see where people are coming from. Original hardware doesn't last forever and will eventually start getting scarce. I guess I'm for an add-on, but for the love of dog warn us you're making one so I can finish buying the cheap carts I still need.

Edited by colormesticky
  • Like 1

Erm, I'm both a stuffy collector and a modern player with a sweet ROM collection, so no. I want both a brand new thing that'll bring in new people, and original hardware that they'll never look for on eBay.

But I also don't have a problem with people wanting to collect/play differently than I do, and I'm not gonna sit here and gripe if some random guy on the internet and I want different things.

• Like 5

It just doesnt matter what we all think on this issue.

Time will tell and if its a success or not if a success you can boast and say I told you so.

If not , just maybe an added feature would of helped.

Theres always that one !!! Lol

Cheers

Brother ??

It just doesnt matter what we all think on this issue.

Bill Murray from Meatballs?

It be nice if the original case for the new Console had a removable plate or cover that could be interchanged with the cart module.

Also, sell some units with the cart port include as a nice complete unit, and a budget console with the plate covering the cart port.

Then a cart module could be added at a later time.

But I'll most likely buy whatever they put out within reason. Never buy another NOAC type unit again!

• Like 1

I spoke too soon. I was at my mom's house a couple days ago and got into a conversation about music. She's has a massive collection of CD's. Collecting used CD's has become her hobby since she retired. Anyhow, we start talking about records coming back and she tell's me about this box of records she found in the alley behind her house about 5 years ago. Unfortunately, she gave most to a friend of her's. Pink Foyd, Led Zeppelin, all great 60's-80's rock. I'm kinda pissed she gave them away, but she still had a few and gave them to me. I'm really stoaked to have the first four Car's albums in pristine condition. Now I think it's time to pick up a turntable.

Do it...do it...do it! :-D

Special Podcast #7 from Intellivisionaries was interesting. Although the unit will not have a cart port built in, It may be possible to buy an attachment separately to fulfill people's desire to have one. It could even be built by a third party. So it is not ruled out.

This unit would be great with a cart port attachment.

Would you still want a cartridge port if it wasn't compatible with some homebrew cartridges.

----------

In the podcast, they are pretty much ruling out adding your own rom files because of piracy. The arguement is that Disney is not likely to license Tron Deadly Discs if people can add it themselves. I could be wrong but I doubt Disney wôuld be interested in a share of Tron Deadly Discs sales. Also there are other rom files that are available legally.

Edited by mr_me

Would you still want a cartridge port if it wasn't compatible with some homebrew cartridges.

Not really, But I would wonder if these games would even run on the system at all? Custom emulation? Have they contacted any of the emulator developers?

It would seem more likely the games would run from cart before emulation. The carts have the custom hardware and software routines local to the cart.

The question is, does any of the DRM added get in the way?

How many and which are effected? Let's say DK Arcade and DIIK are incompatible. I don't see these ever being included or added to the store. :(

That would stink, The ultimate Flashback already handles this!

I just talked myself into thinking this new system is redundant and not needed.... When can I get one?

• Like 1

If the rom file runs under nostalgia or bliss emulators, it will run in their emulator. There's no secrets in jzintv, the souce code is available. Creating a rom dumper to extract the rom data from some homebrew cartridges should be more difficult.

Edited by mr_me

If the rom file runs under nostalgia or bliss emulators, it will run in their emulator. There's no secrets in jzintv, the souce code is available. Creating a rom dumper to extract the rom data from some homebrew cartridges should be more difficult.

Agreed, I am a little more concerned with Games like Boulder Dash or any games with No ROM download available.

I think I have purchased all available roms? Maybe missed 1 or 2. But many games do not have available roms.

Carl, Rev, David etc. have made many roms available either free or purchase and I thank them!

Plus all the roms on the Intellivision CD's I am expecting most of those to be included. Not the ROCKS CD so much :(

3qSZpsH.png

I'm going to simultaneously say that this is never going to happen yet it has already happened. It has already happened in the sense that music created with or enhanced by digital tools has filled a significant niche in society. That said, there will always be people singing, dancing, playing acoustic instruments, and writing original songs. Photoshop is common and useful, but we'll always have painters. Kindles changed the way many people read, but we'll always have books. Emulation is convenient, but there will always be those who chose cartridges. In this sense, technology will never drain the soul from any unwilling individual.

• Like 4

I spoke too soon. I was at my mom's house a couple days ago and got into a conversation about music. She's has a massive collection of CD's. Collecting used CD's has become her hobby since she retired. Anyhow, we start talking about records coming back and she tell's me about this box of records she found in the alley behind her house about 5 years ago. Unfortunately, she gave most to a friend of her's. Pink Foyd, Led Zeppelin, all great 60's-80's rock. I'm kinda pissed she gave them away, but she still had a few and gave them to me. I'm really stoaked to have the first four Car's albums in pristine condition. Now I think it's time to pick up a turntable.

I've also started collecting used CDs. I'm picky about condition, but thrift stores are filled with CDs for $0.50 to $1ea that are often near mint condition. My CD collection jumped from maybe 250 to 500 in the last few years. I pick up LPs as well, but I rarely find any good ones in thrift stores. I did pick up Def Leppard's High 'N' Dry recently for $1 8)

• Like 2

Homebrew game creators / publishers can make their games available as digital / protected downloads for the system if they want - and charge whatever they feel is fair. As long as the games don't infringe on someone's intellectual property.

...I could be wrong but I doubt Disney wôuld be interested in a share of Tron Deadly Discs sales.

If that were true, Keith Robinson would have been able to work out a reasonable deal with Disney for previous projects. It was always prohibitively expensive. With the new console, the hope is to secure a license for NEW versions of the Intellivision TRON games, and get the "legacy" games included as part of the license deal. And in the numbers we're hoping to have for the console, you can bet Disney will be interested in getting something for the old games.

Sent from my Keyboard Component using Jack's Conversational Intelli-talk cassette

• Like 1

I'm going to simultaneously say that this is never going to happen yet it has already happened. but there will always be those who chose cartridges. In this sense, technology will never drain the soul from any unwilling individual.

These are the key words for sure.

But as you can see , there are some here as in all history that try to squish the souls and will out of those that dont conform to masses.

Cheers to those who think outside the box and resist

... there are some here as in all history that try to squish the souls and will out of those that dont conform to masses.

Are you trying to ascribe what I posted earlier as an attempt to "try and squish souls"? All I did was state facts and personal opinions.