IGNORED

Intellivision Entertainment launching a NEW Intellivision console

Rev

A re-imagined Space Hawk would be awesome. I played a lot of it when it was new (goes back to "that's all we had to play so of course we played it") but I think it's basically forgotten now. If it gets a good backstory and 2019 graphics and smoother play, it's a win as resembling Asteroids with an infinite play field. Maybe like http://atariage.com/forums/topic/263171-wishing-for-a-new-intellivision-game-space-squadron/?p=3715956

(snip)

And this may ruffle some feathers...but take Space Hawk and give it better/clearer purpose and gameplay.

(snip)

I can't claim to be the INTV faithful. I have a tiny collection and have not played as much INTV as I would have liked. However, I am a bigger Atari guy and I could only wish that the new Atari was going the direction that INTV is going.

I like cartridges, and I hate how my Xbox has to download everything. But that is maibly due to price point of if I pay $60 my disc should have the game on it...

Do you use maibly for the gap between maybe and probably? I frequently use maybably, which doesn't flow as well, but it's fun to say.
  • Like 1

^^ This! I totally agree that this would be an awesome feature to be able to choose from playing the "classic" version or the "new" version at a whim. Great thought here and I hope this can be implemented in some fashion.

I just hope Data East gets their head out of their arses and lets Lock N Chase to be added.

Me and my dear old mom (RIP) played a TON of it back in the day. When i play it today i can hear her cackling laugh in my head..............

• Like 4

I just hope Data East gets their head out of their arses and lets Lock N Chase to be added.

Me and my dear old mom (RIP) played a TON of it back in the day. When i play it today i can hear her cackling laugh in my head..............

awesome memory of Mom! May she rest in peace!

Do you use maibly for the gap between maybe and probably? I frequently use maybably, which doesn't flow as well, but it's fun to say.

I can't even count on my phone to catch stuff anymore. I guess it has just given up.

Let us go with mainly-maybe...

• 2 weeks later...

I am now thinking that the console needs a light gun, or an equivalent "target shooting" thing with the controllers. I have no idea how it would be done at this juncture, but I think it's needed. Duck Hunt on the NES was a real attractor back in the day (not that shooting ducks for fun is that PC in 2018).

Maybe simulate throwing a discus with the controller. A player has to do the spin while the gyroscope in the controller tracks the movement and then pushing a side button does the release, and then on-screen the disc flies properly.

I am now thinking that the console needs a light gun, or an equivalent "target shooting" thing with the controllers. I have no idea how it would be done at this juncture, but I think it's needed. Duck Hunt on the NES was a real attractor back in the day (not that shooting ducks for fun is that PC in 2018).

My understanding is that every single custom controller created in the past failed in the market because people do not seem to want to buy a special device for a limited set of games. The only exception to this, as far as I know, was Guitar Hero.

-dZ.

• Like 1

How about something for the gamer's butt? :)

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/233067-rumble-pak-hardware-possibility/?p=3172014

My understanding is that every single custom controller created in the past failed in the market because people do not seem to want to buy a special device for a limited set of games. The only exception to this, as far as I know, was Guitar Hero.

-dZ.

• 2 months later...

I didn't get to see it! What did I miss?

New console called the "Amico", wireless controllers (still disc based), also a cell phone app so you don't really need a bunch of controllers for multiplayer games. New games, supposed to be the best 2D system ever. No 3D. Tallarico mentioned the SNES but also the Dreamcast, so it seems like they're targeting better 2D than the Dreamcast. (I'll believe that when I see it.)

That's all good.

Cringeworthy: RGB mood lighting. All games will be rated "E". And they're going for quality over quantity, which sounds great in theory, but Tallarico spent a bunch of time badmouthing Sony, MS and even *Nintendo* for having "too many games" that they couldn't control the quality of. Says if a game isn't good, they don't want it on the Amico. That whole section sounded ridiculously pretentious, as if they have any leverage or place in the industry to be dictating quality or rating. And badmouthing a bunch of successful companies as if they don't know what they're doing and he does.

Honestly there was about 28 minutes more that I couldn't get through, and when I went back to watch the rest, it was gone. I don't know if they're going to repost it or if they removed it out of embarrassment or something. They seemed to have copyright issues with showing some of the games (I guess?) since there was a section when they were obviously showing a video montage and they just swung the camera at the crowd for like 8 minutes. And the crowd didn't seem all that impressed. But I doubt they removed the video for copyright reasons since they showed it to begin with.

I'll probably buy a system since I'm an OG Intellivision guy, but I feel like they have delusions of grandeur.

• Like 5

New console called the "Amico", wireless controllers (still disc based), also a cell phone app so you don't really need a bunch of controllers for multiplayer games. New games, supposed to be the best 2D system ever. No 3D. Tallarico mentioned the SNES but also the Dreamcast, so it seems like they're targeting better 2D than the Dreamcast. (I'll believe that when I see it.)

Cringeworthy: RGB mood lighting. All games will be rated "E". And they're going for quality over quantity, which sounds great in theory, but Tallarico spent a bunch of time badmouthing Sony, MS and even *Nintendo* for having "too many games" that they couldn't control the quality of. Says if a game isn't good, they don't want it on the Amico. That whole section sounded ridiculously pretentious, as if they have any leverage or place in the industry to be dictating quality or rating. And badmouthing a bunch of successful companies as if they don't know what they're doing and he does.

Honestly there was about 28 minutes more that I couldn't get through, and when I went back to watch the rest, it was gone. I don't know if they're going to repost it or if they removed it out of embarrassment or something. They seemed to have copyright issues with showing some of the games (I guess?) since there was a section when they were obviously showing a video montage and they just swung the camera at the crowd for like 8 minutes. And the crowd didn't seem all that impressed. But I doubt they removed the video for copyright reasons since they showed it to begin with.

I'll probably buy a system since I'm an OG Intellivision guy, but I feel like they have delusions of grandeur.

Ouch!

I'm always interested to hear firsthand reports from people who were there, but I'll reserve judgment until I learn more about it. I've heard that there will be a press release on Monday, so presumably videos will be available by that time as well. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with insisting on strict quality control, and "better 2D than the Dreamcast" should be an entirely feasible goal with today's technology, given that the Dreamcast is nearly 20 years old now. What you describe as "badmouthing" might simply have been differentiating their approach: if they're to get into that business, why not focus on what they see as an under-served family-friendly audience, instead of trying to compete with the likes of Sony and Microsoft?

Without knowing anything else, there are two things that I already like about it: they're taking their own risks with their own money instead of going the (increasingly icky) crowdfunding route, and they've apparently resisted the temptation to try to be all things to all people.

• Like 6

What you describe as "badmouthing" might simply have been differentiating their approach: if they're to get into that business, why not focus on what they see as an under-served family-friendly audience, instead of trying to compete with the likes of Sony and Microsoft?

I'm sure that was the intent, and he specifically said "let them do what they do" at one point. The problem is that they are in no way on an equal footing, and that seemed to be one implication of what he was saying. Another is that there's this giant untapped audience out there that even Nintendo is ignoring - he also mentioned "middle America" several times, and said something like "we look at this and go pffft, but we're gamers! What about all the non-gamers!" First of all, I don't want a game console for non-gamers. That was *never* what the Intellivision was about. The Intellivision was always for the most hardcore of the hardcore - that was their whole ad campaign. That's why I wanted one as a kid.

Second, this notion that there's a huge untapped market out there that's being ignored... I mean, come on. He went on and on about how he can't even recommend Nintendo to families he knows because they have too much blood in their games. What?! I don't need a console for non-gamers and I certainly do not need one for someone of that level of prudishness.

But again, not to contradict myself, I'll probably buy one if it's not like $300. But only because it's a new system actually from some of the guys who made the original. I just don't feel like this is really in the spirit of the original system. They're not going to get anywhere by trying to be a more family-friendly Nintendo.

• Like 3

... The Intellivision was always for the most hardcore of the hardcore - that was their whole ad campaign. That's why I wanted one as a kid.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this point. Hardcore gaming barely existed back then. Some parents bought the Intellivision as something to do -with- their kids or even more for themselves. Heck, my grandfather bought his Intellivision to play games with his neighbor. The fact us grandkids played it during visits was secondary.

Gaming back then was sometimes a family affair, not exclusively kids-only like it was for a few decades afterwards. The Wii was a brief step back into those days but Nintendo dropped the ball on capitalizing on what they had. The Amico is focusing on bringing it back. What remains is whether that will be a successful market to tap into.

• Like 10

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this point. Hardcore gaming barely existed back then.

That's the point. Intellivision pretty much invented it.

Read through the ad below. Everything's about how much more realistic everything is, how many more directions and buttons on the controller, how much more *challenging* the games are vs. the "simplistic" games of other systems.

Nothing about this ad campaign appealed to how "family friendly" the system was. And it certainly didn't try to make the system seem family friendlier than Nintendo! (Which there wasn't even an equivalent of at the time; "family friendly" is another modern term.)

post-6166-0-65937300-1540105135_thumb.jpg

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 3

That's the point. Intellivision pretty much invented it.

Read through the ad below. Everything's about how much more realistic everything is, how many more directions and buttons on the controller, how much more *challenging* the games are vs. the "simplistic" games of other systems.

Nothing about this ad campaign appealed to how "family friendly" the system was. And it certainly didn't try to make the system seem family friendlier than Nintendo! (Which there wasn't even an equivalent of at the time; "family friendly" is another modern term.)

apart from that advertising, do you mean that the Intellivision wasn't intended to be a family friendly video game system, even though this is a modern term?

Come on...

post-41160-0-23024700-1540106142.jpegpost-41160-0-95477100-1540106152.jpgpost-41160-0-14249800-1540106164.jpg

• Like 2

The Plimpton ad is just ordinary marketing that a product as superior... in terms that ordinary people understand. These aren't techie differences like "polygons and shaders per second" or MHz. These are differences that are painfully clear to someone whose never even seen a video game before. "They've got arms and legs like real players do." The images of the soccer game players is just plain ouch. 8 directions versus 16 doesn't not require hardcore knowledge to understand.

This is like ads of how one family car is superior to another family car, complete with smart-sounding announcer talking about features and awards (but not like comparison ads of performance cars). Such ads don't transform that family car exclusive to just gearheads. Mattel just wanted more people to buy their product and were not aiming at hardcore gamers.

• Like 2