IGNORED

Intellivision Entertainment launching a NEW Intellivision console

Rev

Intellivision just simply doesn't have the brand power to get enough worthy developers on board to create quality experiences and limiting the type of content that gets released on the platform is very stupid.

A couple dudes in their 50's might get excited for this and thats about it.

LOL what? You'd have to be a special brand of stupid to make a statement like that. Hopefully no one that would come to a place like Atariage would be that dumb. . . would they?

• Like 1

Intellivision just simply doesn't have the brand power to get enough worthy developers on board to create quality experiences and limiting the type of content that gets released on the platform is very stupid.

LOL what? You'd have to be a special brand of stupid to make a statement like that. Hopefully no one that would come to a place like Atariage would be that dumb. . . would they?

;)

I hope there are some 'eyes' here who get word back to Tommy & Co about having access to Original & ReImagined games. I think it would be a gigantic let down if the originals are left out.

Paul Nurminen of the Intellivisionaries podcast is the VP Retro. My understanding is that the original games will be available likely as a cheap pack. Do not quote me on that though. Maybe Paul can chime in.

A number of us had a chance to talk to Tommy and many of the BSR's while at PRGE and I must say I am excited and optimistic about this project.

• Like 2

I'm mid 30's and excited for this. I like the price point and the angle they are going with it. I purchased an Xbox One and honestly the people that play modern games are getting more volatile.

I work in education and see kids who put more time and effort into games like Fortnite that you will never beat and lack in area's of academics and social interactions. Online interactions show the immaturity of the people who routinely play online. Want your kids to be exposed non-stop to druggies and games glorifying killing people? Then don't buy this. And what about Nintendo? Well out of the big names I'm going to back them from here on out. Unfortunately, even games like Mario suck in comparison to what they use to. No threat of losing a game ever.

After all the black boxes of Xbox and Playstation look, so much better than this. I mean I was so inspired I took a cardboard box and painted it black and have it sitting by my TV.

Will this thing be successful? I honestly don't know but I want it to. I do find it funny how people will hate on a company if they just re-release their old games in compilations, and then hate on them for trying something new and also recognizing where they came from. I didn't grow up with Intellivision but I knew what it was because I played Atari so much. As opposed to the Atacobox fiasco, at least IE is trying to go about it the right way.

I'm ready for something new that doesn't feel new.

• Like 5

This is going to be fascinating to watch. This seems like a very high-production unit, with some talented people involved. But I'm not sure if there is a market for this sized program. I look at things like the Collectorvision Phoenix, the Omni by Opcode, or the mass-market Hyperkin stuff and those I understand. Small programs, higher cost, but somewhat focused audience.

This one - I'm not so sure. It seems like a very ambitious project with a bunch of games that could easily be released on current consoles as indie games. I'm not sure the Intellivision brand carries much mass-market weight (certainly smaller than Atari, and arguable if it's bigger than Coleco), and those controllers are not going to make any sense to a modern gamer.

I'm not sure if there is a market for it with the ambition and work the team is putting in. There is also a new generation of game consoles going to ship around this time + or - which is going to suck a lot of the air out of the room for a home console. I guess it all depends on how many they need to sell to be viable. If they are expecting more than a few hundred thousand, that would worry me.

I wish this system the best, I really do. I'll be watching closely.

• Like 2

Mickey Mouse Accessories?

attachicon.gifScreenshot_20181022-232202.png

Says the guy who had to spend 45 minutes playing Tetris with packing his baggage just to get it on the plane.

I'd pay money to see Colormesticky slap around the1Mouseman for a few rounds :D

I'd never hit a lady... so good thing it's colormesticky then ;) :lolblue:

This one - I'm not so sure. It seems like a very ambitious project with a bunch of games that could easily be released on current consoles as indie games. I'm not sure the Intellivision brand carries much mass-market weight (certainly smaller than Atari, and arguable if it's bigger than Coleco), and those controllers are not going to make any sense to a modern gamer.

I'm not sure if there is a market for it with the ambition and work the team is putting in. There is also a new generation of game consoles going to ship around this time + or - which is going to suck a lot of the air out of the room for a home console. I guess it all depends on how many they need to sell to be viable. If they are expecting more than a few hundred thousand, that would worry me.

Agreed. I see a lots of potential, which can also be easily squandered by:

a) unrealistic expectations re sales

b) unrealistic expectations re exclusive content - see (d)

c) alienating lots of potential buyers with silly statements like "only E10<"

d) alienating lots of potential devs with the above and other hoops such as price and min 7/10 rating (WTF)

e) how can you not put physical buttons on a controller for 2D games ?!?!!11!

While the "couple of dudes in their fifties..." remark was no doubt overtly harsh, you do need some sort of reality check when it comes to these things. Some vague family-oriented and anti-CoD sentiments do not sell high volumes of units. Especially seeing as the retro-device market is already fairly saturated, what with endless amount of official/unofficial Minis and retro-consoles already available and in the pipeline. A new entry with questionable design, narrow target audience, high price point and dev-unfriendly does not really have high hopes of surviving.

Agree. With their current statements and positioning, this has GX4000/Gizmondo written all over it. They're never going to crack into an exclusively kid friendly market competing directly against tablets, phones and pretty much anything with a screen. Just ask Toys R Us, Hasbro and others who are currently tanking.

Edited by JBerel

(...) Intellivision just simply doesn't have the brand power to get enough worthy developers on board to create quality experiences and limiting the type of content that gets released on the platform is very stupid.

no, man. It's a way to be different from the competitors and to make the parents want to buy a safe video game system for their children and have fun playing WITH them. A great plan, in my opinion

I can corroborate this. My son likes SNES / Genesis era graphics pretty well. He is okay with NES era graphics. However, he has seen Atari (2600) games and never fails to comment how the graphics suck (in his opinion).

In prior interviews, Tommy has said that original Intellivision games will also be available for the Amico.

The most likely reason that feature is not being focused on much at the moment is that only a "couple dudes in their 50's might get excited for" for the original games. As Tommy stated in the PRGE video, today's kids are fine with 2D graphics that are NES / SNES era but they start to lose interest in earlier looking graphics. The trailer is focused on their main market.

no, man. It's a way to be different from the competitors and to make the parents want to buy a safe video game system for their children and have fun playing WITH them. A great plan, in my opinion

As a father of 3, i can only express our experience as parents. We struggled to find newish games for our kids in the age window of 7-13 that were PG rated. I didnt have my old Intelly system. We settled on a game cube and played ENDLESS hours of monkey-ball with the kids.

I see this new system filling a niche of that age group. It will also have some appeal to old farts like myself who suffer from game nostalgia. I dont see many 17-22 year old boys buying these systems.

Think of the racks of your favorite toy store. Each toy had a 3+ years, 11 months - 2 years old, 8 and over label on the packaging.

I see this as exactly that. Maybe they are not boldly saying it...but they kinda are...in code, saying it. "Family Friendly" is that.

I dont see this as the Xmas MUST HAVE toy of the season in 2020 but there is a demand for it, me thinks. Especially at the price point.

They are abundantly clear they are not going after Playstation and the like due to the violent nature of the games, so its implied they are targeting a younger age group and families.

Looking back, i played a crap ton of Lock n Chase and MLB with my mom.....and a boat load of Space Battle with my dad in the ages of 9-11..then as i turned into a teen...i wanted Less to do with my parents and more to do with my pals. I think Tommy & Co know and understand this. And THIS is the age group and target audience of this product.

Edited by Denicio
  • Like 1

It would be enough to simply call it family friendly, and leave it at that. Shutting down segments of your market or partner network before you've even developed it is a sure-fire recipe for failure.

Well....as a Pessimistic Fatalist...i am not even ready to use the word "Failure" yet.

Two years is a very long time in the world of technology and games. They have a great team assembled and i look forward to seeing what they come up with.

• Like 3