IGNORED

Intellivision Entertainment launching a NEW Intellivision console

Rev

...Are you trying to ascribe what I posted earlier as an attempt to "try and squish souls"? All I did was state facts and personal opinions.

Not at all, nothing was directed at you.. So I don't know where you ascribe to think that...

Cheers Brother...

Edited by m-crew

I've also started collecting used CDs. I'm picky about condition, but thrift stores are filled with CDs for $0.50 to $1ea that are often near mint condition. My CD collection jumped from maybe 250 to 500 in the last few years. I pick up LPs as well, but I rarely find any good ones in thrift stores. I did pick up Def Leppard's High 'N' Dry recently for $1 8)

Jason, There is a process to resurface CDs. If the scratches have only affected the plastic part and not the media part, scratched CD surfaces can be repair to new condition.

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Ideas-In-Motion-705565-Repair/dp/B007YX3CW4?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B007YX3CW4

• Like 1

Wow, that guy on the right sure is full of himself. :roll:

I don't necessarily disagree with some of the things he says, but he exaggerates so much and talks as if he knew everything, even though he later goes back and retracts precisely what he said. It's just silly.

-- "The Intellivision library is blows!"

-- "The Intellivision has no good games at all!"

-- "They did no marketing back then... That's why it failed."

-- "Nobody knows about the Intellivision. It has no mascots, no good games, no name, brand."

Really?

The guy next to him had to constantly contradict him and he would respond with "well, I don't mean to say XXX, it's just that YYY." :roll:

• Like 1

Wow, that guy on the left sure is full of himself. :roll:

I don't necessarily disagree with some of the things he says, but he exaggerates so much and talks as if he knew everything, even though he later goes back and retracts precisely what he said. It's just silly.

-- "The Intellivision library is crap!"

-- "Nobody knows about the Intellivision. It has no mascots, no good games, no name, brand."

Really?

The guy next to him had to constantly contradict him and he would respond with "well, I don't mean to say XXX, it's just that YYY." :roll:

Did you mean Pat, on the right? Ian (left) defended the quality of the Intellivision library, but suggested that none of these new consoles (Intellivision, Atari, etc) would be successful, particularly after the initial launch. Also, I get that Nintendo corners the "family gaming" market, but that doesn't mean that a new Intellivision console couldn't also aim for more of a family market. That said, I suspect the percentage of kids and teens that will play these for more than 5 minutes is pretty small. It's not that Nintendo has the market cornered. Kids are just overwhelmingly going to choose Super Mario Odyssey on the Switch over Astrosmash.

The Intellivision library "blows", is what the guy with the dark hair said. I'm surprised the guy with the long hair said he likes the Intellivision library. It's true that in 1980 Mattel marketed Intellivision as the sophisticated game system (thats why I wanted it), and now they are promoting the new system as more pickup-and-play. They also said this new system will fail because they have no marketable properties. As IE has said, they are focusing on new games; I don't think Intellivision nostalgia is what they are counting on. They just have to make good new games.

Edit:

And if I were to choose between Asteroids, Astrosmash, and Space Invaders. I would choose Asteroids first and then Space Invaders; maybe Space Battle before Space Invaders.

And Tommy Tallarico is not the president of Intellivision (Productions). That would be Steve Roney. Intellivision Productions still controls the old Intellivision properties.

Edited by mr_me

Did you mean Pat, on the right? Ian (left) defended the quality of the Intellivision library, but suggested that none of these new consoles (Intellivision, Atari, etc) would be successful, particularly after the initial launch. Also, I get that Nintendo corners the "family gaming" market, but that doesn't mean that a new Intellivision console couldn't also aim for more of a family market. That said, I suspect the percentage of kids and teens that will play these for more than 5 minutes is pretty small. It's not that Nintendo has the market cornered. Kids are just overwhelmingly going to choose Super Mario Odyssey on the Switch over Astrosmash.

Sorry, yes, the guy on the "right." I'm getting old... :dunce:

The Intellivision library "blows", is what the guy with the dark hair said.

Well, I guess that is so different from "is crap" that it must change the meaning completely. You definitely caught me there. :roll:

- - - - - -

I don't expect the new Intellivision to succeed if they are aiming to compete in Nintendo's backyard, in that I agree with them. I just thought that guy on the right was full of bullshit with some of his comments that he even had to retract a few times when his buddy challenged him.

Tommy Tallarico saying that of the AtariVCS is a bit rich. :lol:

He's not necessarily wrong, it's just that he shouldn't throw stones when his house is made of glass. *shrug*

-dZ.

Tommy Tallarico saying that of the AtariVCS is a bit rich. :lol:

He's not necessarily wrong, it's just that he shouldn't throw stones when his house is made of glass. *shrug*

The use of that phrase seems to imply that Intellivision Entertainment is criticizing what Atari SA is doing while being guilty of doing the same thing themselves. I'm not aware that Intellivision Entertainment has launched a grandiose crowdfunding campaign before producing a working prototype, collecting money a year in advance without being able to answer even the simplest questions about the product.

As for the CUPodcast ... I have a lot of respect for Pat and Ian, and they've been good friends of the classic gaming community and of AtariAge in particular. However, I think that Pat Contri (aka "the guy on the right") is mistaken here about the Intellivision. As I've said before, the original Intellivision library still had enough name recognition to sell millions of the Plug and Play TV units that Intellivision Productions and Techno Source produced in the mid-2000s, not to mention the Intellivision game compilations that have been released for just about every major platform since the late 1990s. The Intellivision library is certainly smaller and not as well known as the NES library, but it's generally of very high quality; in fact, I submit that the Intellivision has a more favorable ratio of quality games to crap games than the NES.*

The problem with the Intellivision is that it is a pre-crash system, which (as I've also said before) makes it inherently more difficult for players who grew up post-crash to relate to and appreciate. From the NES onward, games were indeed more focused on mascots and branding and franchises, which wasn't true to the same extent in the Intellivision era. I know that Pat has an extensive collection of pre-crash consoles and that he's very knowledgeable about them, but he's an NES player at heart (as evidenced by his complete NES collection), so I can't blame him for his impressions of the Intellivision when viewed from his context. The pre-crash games often seem idiosyncratic and weird to those who grew up post-crash because the two eras are so different, but I think this can be surmounted, and that the Intellivision games—which are more idiosyncratic than most—can be marketable even today, with the right presentation. I'm curious to see what Intellivision Entertainment has in mind for them.

* Just out of curiosity, I checked the Video Game Critic's list of reviews for both systems. Out of his 115 published Intellivision reviews, 30 of them received a "failing grade" of D+ or lower, or about 26%. That's better than the NES, which got 84 "failing grades" out of 288 published reviews, or about 29%. Granted, this is only one source, and I would take issue with some of his rankings, but the percentages feel about right to me given the limited sample size. I suspect that the NES percentage would be higher if he reviewed the entire library.

You're talking about the intentions and I'm talking about practical market reach and feasible business models. It's cute how some are pitting Intellivision Entertainment as a wholesome return to family fun, against the soulless Atari going for a cash-grab. It won't really matter because at the end of the day, both are relying on nostalgia, both are aiming at a greater market, and both are most likely going to fail. More importantly, they are both blind to this -- or at least they make it seem so.

When they fail, it'll be for mostly the same reasons, and it won't matter that Tallarico and his crew has "a bigger heart" than those "evil Atari guys." We have a saying in Spanish that translates roughly to "the one-armed making fun of the lame," or like I suggested before, "those who live in glass houses should not throw stones" because both Atari's and Intellivision Entertainment's houses are made of the same pixie-dusty glass.

-dZ.

It's true that in the mid 2000s about four million Intellivision direct-to-tv game systems were sold. I use to think that it was because it was a cheap toy for parents to buy their kids who didn't know better. I think jaybird3rd might be right in saying the Intellivision name did help. But I think that name recognition it may have had 15 years ago has faded. Like the guys in the video say, Atari has far more brand recognition than Intellivision today. The Intellivision name won't be much help and I think everyone, including Tommy T, recognises that there isn't much demand to playing legacy Intellivision games. It's why Tommy T is downplaying the emulation capability and focusing on the new games to be designed for this machine. Atari on the other hand is focusing on the shape of their console, nostalgia, and not much else. It's still early, we have to see what games IE comes up with, but I agree that success might be a longshot for both.

It's true that in the mid 2000s about four million Intellivision direct-to-tv game systems were sold. I use to think that it was because it was a cheap toy for parents to buy their kids who didn't know better. I think jaybird3rd might be right in saying the Intellivision name did help. But I think that name recognition it may have had 15 years ago has faded. Like the guys in the video say, Atari has far more brand recognition than Intellivision today. The Intellivision name won't be much help and I think everyone, including Tommy T, recognises that there isn't much demand to playing legacy Intellivision games. It's why Tommy T is downplaying the emulation capability and focusing on the new games to be designed for this machine. Atari on the other hand is focusing on the shape of their console, nostalgia, and not much else. It's still early, we have to see what games IE comes up with, but I agree that success might be a longshot for both.

I agree with you that the Intellivision brand is not very recognizable in the mainstream nowadays. The problem, as I see it, is that then... what else is there? That's kind of like the "hook" they could use to get a hold of a new market.

Without that, then, they are just a brand new and unknown console coming from virtually nowhere to compete with the big guys -- especially on Nintendo's turf. It seems completely futile to me.

-dZ.

The first and best place to start marketing or even doing basic research to whether or not it will even sell is to test the product/idea on kids from 5-12. That's how you build a base to your product. If they like it, mom and dad will buy it, just for the sake of it being a fun distraction and cheaper than a major console. To just go out and assume it will be bought and used and loved by hundreds enough to warrant the investment is financial suicide. Nintendo got it right with the Wii because the games were very playable for a 7 year old or a 107 year old... unlike many of the Xbox and PS games at the time. Sure both systems had and still have amazing games, that's not the issue, the issue is getting the whole family to have interest and play. I could play Animal Crossing, Wii Sports Resort, Mario Golf....etc... with my 9 year old at the time... I can't play Call of Duty, Gods Of War, Witcher 3... etc.. with a 9 year old, let alone have the hand-eye coordination with the 9 zillion button combos required to be a decent player. Grandpa can sit with Grandson and play Golf on the Wii... and STILL can... what are they playing on a modern console?

Simple is better, but it has to be simple in a way like the games on our phones... or like I said, the Wii. I don't know if the industry is too far down the road to come back to the beginning though. Kids expect some serious sensory overload with these new game consoles, and damn... the look and feel to many of these games really brings it. Just think of the price of an PS4, or an XBox One.. and many have both.

I hope they can pull it off.

As for the #CUPpodcast video of those two Millennial Clowns sitting there debating the validity of something they obviously know very little about.. shame on me for watching it

• Like 2

Wow, that guy on the right sure is full of himself. :roll:

-- "The Intellivision library is blows!"

Really?

100% agree. Pat (curly shorter hair on the right) even got a number of facts wrong, failing to do research. Ian (long straight hair on the left) corrected him and was moderately knowledgeable about the Intellivision.

• Like 1

"Tallarico had more thoughts on why he thinks the VCS is going to fail, as well as his hopes for Intellivisions own (also still unknown) system, which well be publishing on IGN next week."

Ok, IGN has my curiosity piqued...

In that interview they talk about rom files. They say they won't allow the console to take user rom files because that stuff is all stolen. They are okay with someone adding a cartridge slot because cartridges are legitimate. I don't think that's fair; not all rom files have stolen content and you can certainly buy cartridges that have "borrowed" software on it. I also learned that Tommy Tallarico is Steve Tyler's cousin.

Edit:

They also say that Intellivision Productions will be going away and the old Intellivision properties will eventually transfer to Intellivision Entertainment.

Edited by mr_me