Most of mine are C64 games but here is my list:

Sequel better:

Pitfall II > Pitfall (Atari 2600)

Mrs. PacMan > PacMan (Atari 2600)

Beach Head II > Beach Head (C64)

Summer Games II > Summer Games

Pitstop II > Pitstop I (C64)

There are a lot of sequels I consider as good but different:

Impossible Mission II / Impossible Mission (C64)

Dig Dug II / Dig Dug (Arcade)

Frogger II / Frogger (C64)

Beyond Forbidden Forest / Forbidden Forest (C64)

Spy vs. Spy II / Spy vs. Spy (C64)

Sequel much worse:

Ghostbusters II < Ghostbusters (C64)

California Games II < California Games (DOS/C64)

Spy Hunter II < Spy Hunter (NES/C64)

Exploding Fist II < Exploding Fist (C64)

Revenge of the Mutant Camels < Attack of the Mutant Camels (C64)

I haven't played Spy Hunter II, but it looks like a sweet shooter.

The NES port of Spy Hunter is very glitchy and not that good.

EDIT: Never mind. I was thinking of Sunsoft's Super Spy Hunter. Not Spy Hunter II.

Edited by mbd30

I prefer Alien over Aliens, but I can see why people would view it other way. Both fantastic movies. The real brilliance was the willingness to put Aliens in a different genre (action-horror vs survival horror.)

I'll go out on a limb and say that I prefer Aliens to Alien- and both are great films.

I'll go out on a bigger limb (or would it actually be a smaller, flimsier, and therefore riskier limb to go out on? :P ) and say I prefer the special edition of Alien 3. Bet my avatar didn't give that away, eh? :P

I'm not saying I think it's the best, because it isn't--for a lot of reasons--but I love its tone and style. I really appreciate what David Fincher was going for with it. It's unfortunate that he quit he project in disgust after shooting wrapped and left the editing to the studio, who gave us the butchered version we saw in theaters in 1992. (Fun fact: there is no true director's cut of Alien 3.)

Looking at the Alien trilogy more objectively, the best one was Alien. IMO it is an absolutely perfect film.

• Like 1

I haven't put nearly enough time into Star Control II...and every time it shows up in a list like this I'm reminded to bust out a copy!

I originally played the pc version, then had it for 3DO (best version). There is a fan made remake http://sc2.sourceforge.net/ that basically is the 3DO version. A really great action/adventure game with fun customization in addition to a player vs player melee bash.

I'll go out on a bigger limb (or would it actually be a smaller, flimsier, and therefore riskier limb to go out on? :P ) and say I prefer the special edition of Alien 3. Bet my avatar didn't give that away, eh? :P

I'm not saying I think it's the best, because it isn't--for a lot of reasons--but I love its tone and style. I really appreciate what David Fincher was going for with it.

Wow, probably the first time since I saw Alien 3 that I witness somebody actually prasing it, and rightly so. Most folks just jumped on the hate-wagon, but that film really has a lot going for it. Incredible visual style (DF-trademark) atmosphere and script. It was grimdark before grimdark. Sure, could be better but definitely holds its own. For me the whole initial trilogy sort of stands equal, all different films with different strengths. Though, if I had to pick one, it'd be Alien of course ;)

I really had high hopes for #4 because Jeunet/Khondji was a genius tag-team, but it was awful. I think the script at fault. And I had no-hopes for Prometheus and sure as hell: a turdiest turd that ever turded. Scott should've really retired a long, long time ago, start an oyster farm or something.

A quick list of strictly 16-bit sequels to 16-bit games (no change in platform between 1 and 2, I mean). I didn't watch the video, but w/e...

I'm mostly a Sega fanboy so there are some SNES games here but not a lot. This is just kind of off the top of my head.

Sonic 2 (Genesis)

Shining Force II (Genesis)

Final Fantasy III (SNES)

Earthworm Jim 2 (both)

Streets of Rage 2 (Genesis)

Bonk's Revenge (TG16)

Mega Man X2 (SNES)

NHL 94 (Genesis)

Madden 94 (Genesis)

Super Bomberman 2 (SNES)

NBA Jam Tournament Edition (SNES)

Mortal Kombat 2 (SNES; Genesis was just the opposite)

Double Dragon III (Genesis)

Fatal Fury 2 (Neo Geo)

King of Fighters 9X (Neo Geo; each got better)

Phantasy Star III (Genesis)

Phantasy Star IV (Genesis; the first 4 PS games got better as the numbers increased)

In this sequel to my post about sequels, I'll discuss 8-bit sequels to 8-bit games which surpassed the original. It remains to be see whether this post is in fact better than the first.

Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES)

Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)

Sonic 2 (Game Gear, though the first was really good)

Super C (NES)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game (NES)

Alex Kidd in Shinobi World (Master System)

Dragon Warrior II (NES)
Dragon Warrior III (NES)

Dragon Warrior IV (NES, the pinnacle of the series IMO)

Rambo III (Master System)

Streets of Rage 2 (Game Gear)

Tecmo Super Bowl (NES)

Double Dragon 2 (NES)

Shinobi 2 (Game Gear)

Mega Man 2 (NES)

Castlevania II (NES)

Castlevania III (NES)

BTW before someone points out the lack of Zelda II: absolutely not.