IGNORED

Wizard of Wor (SGM) thoughts

ZillaRUSH

TPB....one word sums up this game...AMAZING!! Just a perfect reproduction of the arcade game. Played it all weekend and cant get enough. Playing it with the F18 in wonderful. My Edladdin controller is due in soon...that will complete the perfect setup on the perfect game. A must have game.

I may have to see if he will be selling more of these . Everyone seems to love this one .

I seem to recall a certain AtariBrian who actually had a recorded pre-order for Wizard of Wor, but decided to cancel it last year when he heard that the voice samples were only heard between levels, and not during the actual game like in the arcade version. Oh how the wind turns, eh? ;)

• Like 1

I seem to recall a certain AtariBrian who actually had a recorded pre-order for Wizard of Wor, but decided to cancel it last year when he heard that the voice samples were only heard between levels, and not during the actual game like in the arcade version. Oh how the wind turns, eh? ;)

You must be confusing me with Ataribrain , he is a different member :lolblue:

• Like 1

I like minor variations from the arcade, if they don't affect game-play, or are additional options to it. My favorite is the cartoonish spider in CV centipede. It makes it my favorite version. I do miss the "Prepare to Qualify" voice in the various 8-bit Pole Position ports.

I've never played the arcade version and I know there were other console versions but this looks to be the definitive home version for sure. Since the arcade was relatively primitive (1980/81) it can practically be fully realized on the ColecoVision. I love how the mazes are varied which really makes each one it's own thing with totally different ways to approach and navigate while collectively really deepening the entire game as a whole. Perhaps the enemies are the only thing that's not quite as detailed as the arcade but it does keep the player(s) and enemies easy to tell apart since it can get pretty frantic at times. I like how the player(s) legs move while walking and also how the stars twinkle before each level. And of course the speech audio is awesome which sounds similar to a Speak & Spell. I'm still interpreting what is being said but it sounds so cool even if I can't understand exactly what's being said.

Would the voice be easier to implement on the Inty Oscar? ?

The important thing is to get the voice converted. Only one person is able to do it currently.

But it's easier for games because Intellivision allows to play voice while doing other game things.

• Like 1

Intellivision + Intellivoice

Inty is the nickname :)

So i think it is not so easy to make speak the intellivoice... i mean to make it say something else than "Mattel Electronics Present" and "numbers" .

From what i have seen , the Intellivoice has an SPO0256 , but not a standard AL2 . It is an 012 , and this SPO has a custom set of allophones , and you can not make it say what you want.

Or if you know a way , i would be very interested.

There were a set a custom SPO0256 done in the past , some for clock (017) , some for Mattel (012), some for the speak Module of Odyssey 2 (019) . the only ones with a full set of usable allophones are standard AL2 and the 019.

on the market now, you find lot of SP0256-AL2 chip that are in fact 012.... be careful if you order this kind of chips.

So i think it is not so easy to make speak the intellivoice... i mean to make it say something else than "Mattel Electronics Present" and "numbers" .

It's possible but currently only one person has the ability to build the voice files from the WAV files, it requires a very convoluted toolset.

Since Wizard of Wor is one of my all time fav games and play it a lot on my 5200 I had to get this CV version.

It looks and sounds amazing.

Havnt yet received my order but would be interested in knowing how hard is the game on the CV?

is it comparable to the Arcade difficulty?

Thanks.

I haven't played the arcade version much myself, but I believe the difficulty ramps up as quickly as it does in the arcade version. The programmer went out of his way to reproduce the arcade experience as best he could. :)

• Like 3

TPB....one word sums up this game...AMAZING!! Just a perfect reproduction of the arcade game. Played it all weekend and cant get enough. Playing it with the F18 in wonderful. My Edladdin controller is due in soon...that will complete the perfect setup on the perfect game. A must have game.

I used to play the Atari version a lot with friends because you could both play at the same time. We had a blast playing that game.

Later on I got the C64 version, which I thought was great, but neither had the voices.

The two player simultaneous games are always the most fun when you can gather some friends to play. My dad never really liked video games other than Pong or Asteroids (I think he was about 45 when we first got an Atari, my 2 older siblings had moved out and my younger sibling was too young) and so unless I had friends over, games were usually a 1 player affair.

• 3 weeks later...