IGNORED

What's the Most "Portable" Home Console?

I recently attended a family gathering for the long weekend and was thinking about bringing a console to play games. I'm doing most of my gaming on the Xbox One at the moment, but just the thought of moving that massive thing to someone else's house made my back hurt. So I ended up taking my tablet, but we couldn't use it because we were planning to play Hearhtstone which requires a persistent online connection and there was a problem with the Wi-Fi at the house that day. Long story short, we were thinking about playing some games and having some fun and couldn't, but just for future reference: which do you think is the easiest console to transport from one house to another and which one has the best multiplayer games (party games, board games, fighting games, racing games and so on.)

The switch is a solid choice. Otherwise a retro console like a Retro Freak works great for Bomberman on SNES.

For two players only I use the Analogue Super NT and an SD2SNES. That means I have almost the entire library of games to choose from. I could get a multitap but haven't tried yet.

A small laptop with Steam also works if you preinstall everything you may want to play, assuming all games have offline modes. You can test for it in advance, but it's work (thats why I prefer the SNES)

Edited by Newsdee

No votes for the PSP or PS Vita?

Given the parallels to the Nintendo Switch, I'd argue that they count almost more as consoles than handhelds. Granted, there are some significant differences there, but the lines get blurry when the similarities are compared.

(And no, this isn't flag-waving from the Sony camp - we have both a PS3 and a Switch :P )

I'll second the Super Nt. It's inexpensive, readily available, and you can take a heck of a large library with you in a very tiny space once jailbroken.

SNES games have aged especially well, and that look has come back in style. Nt Mini is another choice, but those things are pretty much unobtainable these days.

There has never been a party that super bomberman couldn't make better. You're not going to get the best graphics in a little package anyway, so why even try for recent gen? Just bring something that will make people smile.

I've taken both my Ouya and PS TV with me trying to solve similar problems, and I had a bad time. I will say a tiny windows laptop hooked to a hotel tv with a logitech k400 and a game controller does quite well (if a boring choice).

Edited by Reaperman

The most portable would be the Switch. Second to that would be like the Nvidia Shield tablet as it has a mini hdmi-hdmi port on it so with a bluetooth(or many) controller you're good. Thirdly I'd go with the original remodel PSOne+LCD combo as there was a battery pack adapter for it or you could just plug it in the wall too. And if we're getting into plug ins, then you're up to the NES/SNES classic edition systems or any other of those TV games devices with a bunch of stuff right there needing ac power or batteries + rca (or better) connection.

The least portable would be any strictly TV based system that never had a screen intended for it, even if one came later like the GC/PS2 got in their lifetimes. Those you'll have to haul a pile of discs and accessories and likely need a TV if you don't have the weak little third party LCD for it.

Seconding the Raspberry Pi. It's got support for dozens of consoles, the form factor is ridiculously small, and USB and Bluetooth means you can use just about any controller you have on hand. Alternately, there's the Playstation TV or an Android stick.

I'd just take a laptop loader with emulators. If you want an actual console, the GameCube would be a great choice, especially with a game boy player. Great for party games, over a decade of stuff from game boy to gba, and GameCube library, many of which are multiplayered and nothing requires online.

• Like 1

I'd just take a laptop loader with emulators. If you want an actual console, the GameCube would be a great choice, especially with a game boy player. Great for party games, over a decade of stuff from game boy to gba, and GameCube library, many of which are multiplayered and nothing requires online.

And it's got a handle!

If you will have Internet access, any of the Jackbox party packs is amazing for group play. You don't even use controllers, everybody uses a smartphone while the console serves up a master screen. They're available on every modern platform under the sun (Xbone, PS4, Switch, Steam).

As to the console itself, it's hard to not recommend the Switch. Comes with two controllers? Check. Portable as hell? Check. Has Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, one of the finest multiplayer pick up and play games of all time? Check. By next year, it should have Smash Bros., which is another great party game (as long as none of you are ridiculous experts who slaughter the entire playing field.)

The Wii is very small and can play lots of games of you take Virtual Console into account.

PSone and PS2 Slim are also small and can also be used with a flip screen.

The Switch is the latest option, but has fewer games available though it already has its own screen.

Another choice is a laptop.

Edited by AtticGamer

At this point I would assume HDMI to be required. With that in mind it's hard not to say the Switch. The thing comes with two controllers and has quite a few local multiplayer games. It's quite small, even with the dock, and also can be it's own screen.

I could also see a homebrewed Wii with HDMI adapter. Pretty easy, small, and opens up quite a few libraries.