IGNORED

Help me pick which Pinball game to get

AtariBrian

I was wanting to get one pinball game for the Jaguar . I am really clueless when it comes to the Jaguar . So either Ruiner or Fantasies ? Maybe give a reason why you think which one is better . I have not really even watched any video game plays yet . I did think Ruiner looked pretty good . And if anyone has a cart of one that they would sell me ...

Ruiner has this "zone" in which you are able to get from a multiball to the next pretty much continuously for extended periods of time (in the Tower table at least) .... it's mesmerizing to say the least, it's not "believable" as a pinball game (it's a mindless button masher at that point) but it's sure is fun when you get into the "zone" .... last time I was at it for a good 10 minutes with an unbelievable high score (400+ M) before the sucker crashed on me by locking up .... I was so mad I think I chewed the joypad cord in revenge (as if).

So told Fantasies is much more polished and less "rage inducing".

Why not getting both?

Not even 'Dive Bomb' or 'Drop Target' save Ruiner Pinball from itself. :lol:

And besides the unrealistic gameplay and silly cartoonish playfield graphics, here's two other things I disliked about the game:

post-13896-0-39771300-1527683642.png post-13896-0-52039500-1527683651.png

Forced, artificial load times on a cartridge. :mad:

As a person who isnt into pinball games as a genre I actually like both of these equally. I would second the suggestion to get both as they dont generally command a premium. If you are into pinball games specifically then PF is the way to go.

This thread got me to wanting to play Fantasies again last night. I've discovered that I don't like the Easy mode physics on the ball at all! The ball moves slower yes, but also acts like it weighs 5x more as even a full spring pull to launch it will sometimes barely make it onto the playfield?! I don't remember this being the case in the past, but it was definitely the issues on every single table last night. I moved it back to Hard mode where the ball moves at lightning speed and at least able to get better scores as the ball would make it up the ramps and such now.

Out of curiosity? Has any attempt been made or thought about porting over Epic Pinall? Or is the fact that Epic is still around and still sells it through GOG part of the issue there? I believe Epic Pinball was released for the Amiga as well right?

If Wikipedia is to be trusted, Epic Pinball was only released on the PC. But there are plenty of other pinball games on the Amiga.

I'm sure that is true as Epic was primarily PC only as i recall back then. Too bad though as it used the same MOD type music that Fantasies uses. Wonder if the mechanics from Fantasies could be used as the basis for Epic style tables ported over? Hmmm...

Pinball Fantasies, definitely! Stones n Bones is the shit! My buddies and I played PF, and especially SnB, all the time. My one buddy had a stupid-high score on it, like 20 billion (we were never sure if the game glitched or he just hit the jackpot) but alas, the high scores reset themselves a year or so ago, and that score is gone. I actually owned two copies, because, well, I kinda sucked at the game when compared to my friends, so I wanted y own game where I could actually get the high score. :D

Billion Dollar Gameshow is a decent board, but never could do well in Speed Devils or Party Land. We would always go back to Stones N Bones!

I own Ruiner and we tried it a bit, but just couldn't get into it like we could Fantasies.

Cheers,

Smeg

I think that 20 billion score on SnB is a glitch, it happened to me also :)

Ruiner is nice, I like the music and layout but it's difficult to get to the goals as there always seems to be something in the way, and the ball never seems to get enough speed to get you anywhere.

At the Tower table, when I get from the lower table up to the upper tables it's more a case of luck then skill imo.

What I do like a LOT about Ruiner is the ability to nudge the table sideways with the shoulderbuttons on the Pro Controller, very intuitive.

If I only had to choose one game, it would also be PF, but I play both games for the sake of diversity.

I would welcome a good fast and smooth port of STE's Obsession Pinball on the Jaguar though.

Edited by Isgoed

I second the request for a Jaguar port of UDS's excellent STE/Falcon game Obsession! As much as I like Pinball Fantasies and Ruiner on the Jag Obsession somehow manages to look and sound better on a 1 meg STE. The only flaw is the spongy Atari keyboard for the controls. With a Jag pad who knows what scores can be achieved...?

• 3 years later...
On 6/6/2018 at 3:26 PM, doctor_shred said:

I second the request for a Jaguar port of UDS's excellent STE/Falcon game Obsession! As much as I like Pinball Fantasies and Ruiner on the Jag Obsession somehow manages to look and sound better on a 1 meg STE. The only flaw is the spongy Atari keyboard for the controls. With a Jag pad who knows what scores can be achieved...?

Obsession supports the Jagpad:

• 2 weeks later...