IGNORED

Ambery S-Video to HDMI Converter Scaler

figliar

Hi,

do you have experience with Ambery S-Video to HDMI Converter Scaler (item#DVH3). I'm mainly concerned about the conversion lag, is it something to worry about ? I have tested their S-Video to VGA converter, I'm ok with the image quality but for the future use the HDMI seems to be better option.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Peter

• Like 1

S-vid to VGA... On what system(s) do you use that converter?

Looking for a way to get a signal that can be fed to an O.S.S.C. https://www.videogameperfection.com/products/open-source-converter/

and go to HDMI that way. Initially wanted to go from S-vid to RGB but such converters are hard to get.

Next option is to go from S-Vid to a lag-free VGA signal and go from there. The converter you have seems to do exactly that.

I've used the Ambery S-video to VGA converter (they do have several models to choose from) for a several years and have nothing but good to say about it's performance, it handles any signal or any Atari interlaced software graphic mode I throw at it wonderfully, upscaling and motion-blur correction, lag-free, etc. But an Ambery S-video to HDMI will be the next one I buy if need be. I fully expect the HDMI to surpass my VGA with flying colors (pun intended). The important thing to me is that it's an Ambery product, I also have an Ambery RGB to VGA converter I've owned for more than a decade and it has also worked and still works wonderfully. I use switch boxes and all my composite/S-video/component/RGB devices go through these two converters output to what ever VGA compatible monitor/TV or projector I use them with.

Mind you, the converters can only do so much with the signal they are given, if the source signal is poor, the output quality of the converter will necessarily be poor too, the Supervideo 2.1 video modification I did to my 1200XL gave it fantastic S-video, and so I get a fantastic conversion through my converter. It really is VGA quality output, my 1200XL on my LCD TV via VGA has a picture every bit as sharp as what the Altirra emulator has on my LCD monitor, but much more vibrant color to boot!

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

My reason to go for an O.S.S.C. is the lag-free conversion because it's not an upscaler but a scan doubler in stead. This will do for the ST/MegaSte/Falcon/Jaguar because those use RGB but unfortunately the O.S.S.C doesn't support video/S-video. I need to convert those to, preferably, analog RGB first, with VGA as a second option.

I was not aware that there are Amber RGB versions too. Maybe I should consider to skip the O.S.S.C. for now and go for a set-up as you have now. My main display only has HDMI inputs but AFAIK it should work fine with a simple VGA->HDMI adapter but didn't actually try it.

As for the A8 picture quality... I don't expect miracles but as long as the result is better then using the plain video input the SCART provides, and is lag-free, I'll be satisfied. As a bonus I'll get rid of possible NTSC/PAL issues too. I'm in PAL land, so using the 1200XL and 5200 always was a bit troublesome because not every tube TV was prepared for that.

edit: typo's

Edited by Fox-1 / mnx

My reason to go for an O.S.S.C. is the lag-free conversion because it's not an upscaler but a scan doubler in stead. This will do for the ST/MegaSte/Falcon/Jaguar because those use RGB ...

That's precisely the problem with O.S.S.C. Scan doubler is nice for reducing lag, but then a simply scan doubled signal won't work with many (perhaps most) HDMI monitors. Many HDMI monitors are very picky about the signal, much more than RGB ones. They might refuse to display a signal that doesn't comply with the standard. Even a "simple" upscaler might not be enough. You need a converter with a frame buffer that would perform frame conversion. And that besides the lag, is quite expensive unfortunately.

Note that many US monitors are known to not support 50Hz altogether.

The O.S.S.C. uses several different ways/algorithms to produce a usable signal and only buffers a single scan line. The later versions also have settings to slightly change timing parameters for picky HDMI inputs. The list of classic systems it's been used with without problems is a long one so it can't be that bad.

This, of course, isn't a guarantee that it'll work with ones particular set-up. The long list is of no use if your system is not part of it.

I won't use anything that adds lag. I'd rather go for less quality with plain video, or even RF out.

Too late for an edit...

The SDV500 seems to be able to do it all, accepting both Vid/S-vid and RGB as well to convert to HDMI. It's not overly expensive but no idea about the lag. There isn't much "neutral" info around for this one like a review or something.

http://www.ambery.com/hdscrgtohdsc.html

The O.S.S.C. uses several different ways/algorithms to produce a usable signal and only buffers a single scan line. The later versions also have settings to slightly change timing parameters for picky HDMI inputs. The list of classic systems it's been used with without problems is a long one so it can't be that bad. This, of course, isn't a guarantee that it'll work with ones particular set-up. The long list is of no use if your system is not part of it.

The problem is not the "classic systems". It probably works with most of them. The problem is the non classic monitors. So it can be used without problems, but only with the "right" monitor. If you happen to have say, a monitor that doesn't accept 50Hz, then NO system whatsoever that outputs a 50Hz will work.

Too late for an edit...

The SDV500 seems to be able to do it all, accepting both Vid/S-vid and RGB as well to convert to HDMI. It's not overly expensive but no idea about the lag. There isn't much "neutral" info around for this one like a review or something.

http://www.ambery.com/hdscrgtohdsc.html

Looks to me like the SDV500 only supports SCART and an HDMI passthrough. The RCA on the other side is a digital coax audio.

*UPDATE* Okay in looking it over it does indeed support composite and s-video....

But only through a SCART connector. I would need something like this that did it all and also had inputs for RCA composite, and 4-pin DIN S-video input as well.

This does what I would need, but there has got to be lag in there with this much hardware required...

http://www.ambery.com/rfcovitohdvg.html

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-

The problem is not the "classic systems". It probably works with most of them. The problem is the non classic monitors. So it can be used without problems, but only with the "right" monitor. If you happen to have say, a monitor that doesn't accept 50Hz, then NO system whatsoever that outputs a 50Hz will work.

What I tried to say is, users of classic systems using various modern HDMI monitors. Those are the typical persons that use these things.

And, yes, if the output signal doesn't match with what a monitor can handle it simply won't work, but that's why the O.S.S.C. has settings to tweak the output. This also has it's limitations, because no frame buffer, but the open source nature helps a lot and updated firmware may solve issues. Still no guarantee but unfortunately there's only one way to find out if it works for ones system.

• Like 1

Looks to me like the SDV500 only supports SCART and an HDMI passthrough. The RCA on the other side is a digital coax audio.

Input Connector:

• SCART female x 1 for CVBS/y/c (PAL, NTSC), RGB (480i, 576i) S-video PAL (576i) NTSC (480i)
  • HDMI female x 1

Input Video System Support:

• PAL B/G/D/K/H/I
  • NTSC_M, NTSC4.43
  • SECAM

CVBS/y/c does it for me, which is part of a full blown SCART connection.

Input Connector:

• SCART female x 1 for CVBS/y/c (PAL, NTSC), RGB (480i, 576i) S-video PAL (576i) NTSC (480i)
  • HDMI female x 1

Input Video System Support:

• PAL B/G/D/K/H/I
  • NTSC_M, NTSC4.43
  • SECAM

CVBS/y/c does it for me, which is part of a full blown SCART connection.

I get that, but I don't use nor have SCART ability so I would have to use their much more expensive all in one box that has s-video. RCA, component, VGA to HDMI. If it weren't so damn big, I would really think about getting it but I haven't room in my AV setup physically for it.

SCART is mainly just a replacement for a collection of regular audio/video signals. It has pins for Audio and Video-In/-Out, RGB, and so on. The video signal is exactly the same one as used with the typical yellow RCA connectors. Audio is just like a regular amplifier. Red RCA for right, a white one for left.

http://mixinc.net/atari/pinouts/scart.htm

Problem is that many manufactures don't implement all signals. My modern TV screen has a SCART but only Video-In, Audio-In and Audio-Out are wired. No RGB, no S-video and the quality sucks.

Hello,

thank you for you answers. I meant it for PAL Atari 8bit computers (with Super/Ultra video mods) and S-Video modified 2600. But I don't insist on S-Video connector itself.

Yes the O.S.S.C lacks S-Video.

But the SDV500 seems like a better option, because of SCART (all signals in one) plus it can handle RGB as well (for Atari ST). Does anybody have it (SDV500) , can confirm it does not have possible lag issues?

Thanks,

Peter

• 6 months later...

I purchased a cheap s-video to HDMI converter and I only get black and white on my element flat screen TV. Is that because I bought a cheap converter or could it be something specific to the TV?

If you try to use s-video on a standard 800XL, it will only be black and white because the chroma line isn't brought out to the jack. It's a simple wire to add though.

I have a 19" Element LCD TV and it works fantastic with my s-video-to-VGA converter, which is a quality Ambery model converter. I've tried cheap converters twice, once before I got the Ambery, it worked, but lasted about six months and became a brick. Then I bought the Ambery AV-8 which I have had for over a decade and it still works flawlessly. I bought another cheap Chinese converter to use with some other equipment last year and all it would show on the Element, my Sceptre LCD and my projector, all only B/W. So I bought another Ambery which works great again.

My guess is the cheap converter. In the long run it is so much more worth it to buy an Ambery converter, they are of the highest quality and will most likely outlast you and your TV.

I am confident enough to make you an offer hueyjones70, if you buy an Ambery brand s-video-HDMI converter and are unhappy with it for any reason, and/or it doesn't solve your problem, I will buy it off of you for the purchase price, I am planning on getting one myself in the future anyway.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

And they are rock-solid for longevity. It will become an electronic fixture that just always works whether you think about it or not. over a decade for me with my VGA version, often left on and forgotten about for days or weeks at a time, never a problem with either my RGB-to-VGA or Video-to-VGA models. I fully expect them both to work the rest of my life at this point.

• Like 1

Did you get the DVH3 model? My VGA models have all the exact same features for the video conversion and upscaling, adaptive 3D comb filtering, etc., and same output resolutions to VGA. Just no audio I/O since that is separate for video and VGA.

Edited by Gunstar

• 3 months later...

I recently bought an Ambery DVH30. (You guys keep saying DVH3, was that an older model?)

https://www.ambery.com/cosstautohdd.html

Anyways, it is only putting out black & white images. Doesn't matter which Atari I hook to it. My 800, my 800XL (modded with Chroma/Luma), and my 130XE. All black & white. Even when I simply use the component output... this thing is displaying everything in black & white. I've tried multiple cables and multiple TVs. Anyone else experience this?