IGNORED

Ambery S-Video to HDMI Converter Scaler

figliar

I'm bummed because I when I use this with a different s-video source (like an old DVD player or a old camcorder) then it is showing color correctly.

Why would all the Atari's only show black & white? Again, these are all properly configured with chroma and luma outputs for s-video... and when I plug directly into my one TV that has S-video input (bypassing the Ambery) then it is properly showing color.

Can someone who has one of these working units on their Atari confirm for me that their model number is DVH30 (and not DVH3)?

dvh3

looks like they may have gone cheap Chinese on the new ones. so you are going to have to look for old stock on the jungle or paybay sites.

remember there are 3 switches on these things and a display.

the older unit followed the real ntsc standard of slightly less than 60 hz the new ones might not be that way.

There is an entire thread or two dedicated to less expensive but verified working converters.

It's possible if you've modified your computers video or have a strange cord the chrominance could be slightly weaker than the converter would like. Have you tried the composite input?

pictures of your hookup would be helpful.

Edited by _The Doctor__

I am using a very nice cable from 8bitclassics.com

https://www.8bitclassics.com/shop/computers/atari-8-bit-computer/atari-xlxe-5-pin-din-to-s-video-composite-av-cable/

I also have another older cable (minus the composite option) and it also behaves the same way.

I have tried just using the composite out to the Ambery and it also shows black and white only.

If I plug the SAME composite-out directly into my composite-in on my TV (with no Ambery) it is showing nice color.

Digression : I tried this S-Video to HDMI converter from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V2ULHBS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you are looking for an alternative to the Ambery unit then try this one. It works great! I am also using the same cable from 8-bit Classics.

Thanks, I'll try that one. It's actually a lot cheaper than the one that Ambery is currently selling.

Edited by chad5200

Glad to hear it, chad5200! :)

As an added note, you may have to play around with the various output resolutions to pick the one which looks best on your particular display. Otherwise, it's an easy-peasy installation with great color as you said.

since most of their stuff is correctable through firmware, perhaps a number of well place and spread out e-mails/ public comments to the ambery crew could get it sorted again...

Interesting. I did not know that was possible. I don’t recall there being any input where you could do a firmware update.

In my case, I returned it for a refund.

Digression : I tried this S-Video to HDMI converter from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V2ULHBS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you are looking for an alternative to the Ambery unit then try this one. It works great! I am also using the same cable from 8-bit Classics.

I was in the market for a video scaler, and today I received and tested the unit mentioned above. Unfortunately, I cannot recommend it to those with a critical eye. This scaler generates visual artifacts galore. For example, areas that should be solid blue appear instead as a dithered checkerboard. That is but one of the glitches I identified, regardless of the settings I used with it.

This is not to disparage the poster, I just want to save others the bother. Amazon has accepted my refund request.

• Like 1

I was in the market for a video scaler, and today I received and tested the unit mentioned above. Unfortunately, I cannot recommend it to those with a critical eye. This scaler generates visual artifacts galore. For example, areas that should be solid blue appear instead as a dithered checkerboard. That is but one of the glitches I identified, regardless of the settings I used with it.

This is not to disparage the poster, I just want to save others the bother. Amazon has accepted my refund request.

Oh, wow! :-o That's really surprising. The image is super, super clean on my system. No checkered patterns, dithering, or noise. Just goes to show different everyone's system can be. :? I'm glad you were able to return it and get a refund. :)

• Like 1

Recently just got back to Atari after 30+?? years break, yes I know it's been awhile. Anyways I got this (UHD 4K Composite S-Video RCA AV to HDMI Converter Upscaler 1080P HDTV AV Adapter)

41CZdK-u64L.jpg

for my 4k monitor ( LG Electronics 42.5" Screen LED-lit Monitor (43UD79-B) and it does seem to work properly on Atari 130 XE NTSC system. Granted I haven't checked yet the lag or if there is any. Overall the screen looks excellent.

• Like 1