IGNORED

Timex Sinclair TS2068 / ZX Spectrum in the USA Help

I've been trying to figure out how to experience the ZX Spectrum in America that also isn't an emulator. Though my research, I found two suggestions for this that make the most sense:

The ZX Spectrum +2, because apparently it puts out an easily convertible video signal as opposed to just an RF Style out. I would need to import a unit, then get the video convertor then get a power transformer or whatever to make it so it can handle north american power grid.

and getting a Timex Sinclair TS2068-- the USA's version of the Spectrum, but with a different rom that doesn't make it fully compatible with ZX spectrum items-- but can be modded / get a cartridge for that can make it largely ZX Spectrum compatible.

So far the current inexpensive option seems to be to be to get a TS2068 and mod it (Which , according to all the youtube videos I've seen, is as easy as opening it, and pulling out the socketed chip and putting a new one in.) or obtain a ZX Emulator cart for it.

The problem is that while it seems easy to get a TS2068 on Ebay, I'm not sure of the other chip I'd need to buy or where to obtain it.. and I'm actually trying to find a premodded one, or the ZX Spectrum Emulator Cart-- which apparently isn't as easy to find as I hoped.

If anyone knows where to obtain such a thing or have other optional ideas, I'm ears!

What you want to search for is a Twister Board. It plugs into the expansion port and allows you to use Spectrum peripherals AND they also have the Spectrum rom in them for compatibility. I have one and it works great.

Be advised though that there a issues with running Spectrum software on the Timex including timing and color issues. I havent played around enough with mine yet to know how bad it is, but Ive see it.

• Like 1

So a Twister board is an item that plugs into the expansion slot and allows you to use Spectrum Peripherals and the Spectrum Rom for compatibility with programs is built into it? Rather than I need to buy two items, the Twister Board is 'One' right? I'm just making sure I understand this correctly! Since when I look this up online it says things like 'With ZX Rom' on it and stuff.

Edited by RockyRaccoon

I have a TS2068 with a Spectrum ROM twister and an Interface 1bis. The Spectrum ROM is compatible enough for the Interface 1bis to work. The main downside of the 2068 is the poor video signal, even from the composite out.

I don't know about the video output of a +2 but I suspect it's still PAL (vs the NTSC we have in the US). The only thing the modulator does is superimpose the video signal on a TV frequency. It doesn't change the scan rate nor number of scan lines. But a video converter will convert the composite PAL signal to HDMI, which would work I think.

As for power, you'll need a 9v adapter. You can get one here in the US that puts out the proper amperage on the correct connector for almost nothing.

Here's the person who sells twister boards with a Spectrum ROM on them. You might want to reach out to him about making a couple.

He also is responsible for a whole series of new motherboards ("Harlequin"), if you're really adventurous. He has one up now that will do 128k, has build-in DivMMC, AY chip and joystick port. You "just" need to populate it :)

And Retroradionics has cases, keyboards, overlays, etc. Here's their facebook page, too.

I have a 98% complete 128K Harlequin with a case, keyboard and overlay from Retroradionics. Just need to finish up some jumpers and test it out... but then I backed a kickstarter for the ZX Next, so I'm just waiting for that to finish up and ship instead.

If you have a way to display (slightly weak) PAL composite video, you can pick up a regular rubber keyboard ZX Spectrum 48K and perform a fairly reversible, 5 minute solder job. The only item you need is a short piece of wire. You lift the lid off the RF modulator, desolder the wire that goes to the center pin of the RCA connector that normally holds the RF signal. Then you thread your wire through the unused side hole of the RF modulator, solder one end to the center pin. Finally you desolder the RF wire from the motherboard and instead solder your wire to the same place. You have now bypassed the RF modulator.

Since 9V DC is 9V DC all around the world, you won't need a step-up converter for the rubber Speccy, just a regular 9V DC adapter with center negative polarity (Genesis, Jaguar etc, just check how many ampere those produce).

IIRC the +2 and +3 have a DIN style power connector which will mean more work if you need to replace it, or a step-up to use the original PSU. On the other hand those computers have RGBI or even analog RGB from the computer.

Actually I believe the rubber Speccy also has RGBI on the expansion port, but it might need amplifying in order to be useful, plus that unless you find a multi purpose expansion with both video output, joystick input, memory card reader etc, you probably want to use the expansion for just one of those.

If you're still interested in the Timex I *might* be willing to sell mine (works and has the Twister/ROM board). It's neat and all but I just don't have enough time to devote to it at the moment.

If the OP isn't interested, I just might be. How complete (documentation and extra software) is your system, and what is the price that you're thinking to ask for it?

If you have a way to display (slightly weak) PAL composite video, you can pick up a regular rubber keyboard ZX Spectrum 48K and perform a fairly reversible, 5 minute solder job. The only item you need is a short piece of wire. You lift the lid off the RF modulator, desolder the wire that goes to the center pin of the RCA connector that normally holds the RF signal. Then you thread your wire through the unused side hole of the RF modulator, solder one end to the center pin. Finally you desolder the RF wire from the motherboard and instead solder your wire to the same place. You have now bypassed the RF modulator.

Since 9V DC is 9V DC all around the world, you won't need a step-up converter for the rubber Speccy, just a regular 9V DC adapter with center negative polarity (Genesis, Jaguar etc, just check how many ampere those produce).

IIRC the +2 and +3 have a DIN style power connector which will mean more work if you need to replace it, or a step-up to use the original PSU. On the other hand those computers have RGBI or even analog RGB from the computer.

Actually I believe the rubber Speccy also has RGBI on the expansion port, but it might need amplifying in order to be useful, plus that unless you find a multi purpose expansion with both video output, joystick input, memory card reader etc, you probably want to use the expansion for just one of those.

I don't think I do! This is gonna be my main issue with a 'real' unit I think then. Will look into PAL conversion or see if I can't get a TV that might have a PAL setting.

What about (theoretically) getting a ZX Spectrum Next computer?

With a HDMI output and international 9V PSU it should work in the US right?

Oh! I didn't know this existed. Is this a 'finished' product I can buy? I can't figure this issue out. Their shop page says they're all sold out, regardless-- but. Gonna add this to possible soultions if all the other attempts don't pan out.

If you're still interested in the Timex I *might* be willing to sell mine (works and has the Twister/ROM board). It's neat and all but I just don't have enough time to devote to it at the moment.

I would be! It'd save me a lot of hassle, honestly of finding these things both separately. Go ahead and shoot a price at me, and we'll go from there, when you finish your poking around/research on what the price might be.

Edited by RockyRaccoon

Oh! I didn't know this existed. Is this a 'finished' product I can buy? I can't figure this issue out. Their shop page says they're all sold out, regardless-- but. Gonna add this to possible soultions if all the other attempts don't pan out.

From the forums:

The Kickstarter and the shop purchases are now ended. There is currently no method to acquire a Next but keep checking on the Spectrum Next web site, or Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/specnext/ for updates.

It's rather weird, is this a one off? I thought they would continue with constant production. Hopefully it's just a break after finishing the kicksarter batch. I think I want one somewhere in the forseeable future.

I'm currently emulating ZX on a Pi using a NTSC CRT TV. It's a bit of a pain. Obvious problems with jerkiness and heavy artifacting abound. Not sure if it would translate to real hardware too, but unless you can get hold of a PAL-capable TV you may be in the same boat.

I recently imported a grey ZX Spectrum 128k +2 to Canada. It has composite out (PAL, of course), can use a standard 9v dc power supply (negative tip), and runs like a charm on an old 19 Sony led tv I had sitting around... it is my understanding that most modern led flat screens can take PAL, NTSC, or SECAM in the composite in. Plus, the built in tape deck on the +2 is great. I got the dc power supply from China off eBay for $8 shipped. I have a bodged together video cable right now, but Ive ordered a nice professionally made one from these guys.... https://coolnovelties.co.uk/coolnovelties/sinclair-zx-spectrum/299-sinclair-spectrum-128-2-grey-model-rca-audio-video-cable.html.

You should check the manual for your tv, you may be pleasantly surprised by what it can display.

There may be Twister boards that don't have the ROM, but it's really obvious when they do (there's a chip on there!).

The old Zebra twister board didn't have a ROM. It was huge, though, and had a Spectrum connector on one side and continued the TS connector on another, I think. It's been a good 25 years since I sold that system.

Actually I believe the rubber Speccy also has RGBI on the expansion port

Ditto the 2068. I've seen several schematics for making it useful (I think in the Yahoo group) but you lose the half-intensity colors and, if I recall correctly, it requires a monitor like the Commodore 1902.

Is this a 'finished' product I can buy? I can't figure this issue out. Their shop page says they're all sold out, regardless-- but. Gonna add this to possible soultions if all the other attempts don't pan out.

Not yet. The latest update was test castings of the case. The only thing that's shipped so far is motherboards for backers who wanted only that.

Join the FB group. I've seen a couple people offer to sell theirs.

The people behind the kickstarter have been working fairly hard on it for more than a year, have had a few setbacks (original case manufacturer bailed) but seem to be reasonably on track. From what they've said, they are just trying to get through. There doesn't seem to be any extra capacity in their budget to make it an ongoing concern. My guess is that there will be overrun on the PCBs and cases and anything extra will be assembled and sold in the shop.

The Next PCB will fit in the Retroradionics case, I believe.

I'm really excited for the Spectrum Next and am hopeful it will solve some of these issues fellow US citizens have to deal with when importing a Spectrum, as it's supposed to work out here via HDMI.

In the meantime, I assembled myself a Spectrum clone called the Harlequin, which was mentioned above. I'm sure it's probably daunting for most to assemble one, but it does work well and IMO gives probably the closest ZX Spectrum experience here in the states. 1 simple power adapter and 1 video cable and mine is housed in an original 48K rubber keyed Spectrum as well. And like mentioned above, those cases have been replicated now by Retroradionics, so you have a lot of options to choose from with a build.

It was so frustrating to me being in the US and trying to get a Spectrum up and running, the Harlequin is really fantastic. Depending one ones budget and or skills of course, as I'm sure if you purchased a pre-assembled Harlequin PCB and new case, it could easily go over the $200 mark.

One thing of note for anyone in US interested in putting one together. I'd highly recommend modding it for S-Video and making sure you have a TV that can handle that, as my impression of the composite output was not great. Or, if money isn't an issue, Ben at ByteDelite offers an HDMI adapter that plugs into the expansion port!

Lotta options and I'm glad with the upcoming release of the Next, it seems like things are looking up for Spectrum users all around the globe finally.

Ick.

Can't source the Twister Board, Can't Source a ZX Spectrum to have someone do composite mod to. I'm not really hand enough to put together a custom from scratch unless it's all 'snap together'. Gonna need to figure this out.

Input/suggestions still welcomed!

Ick.

Can't source the Twister Board, Can't Source a ZX Spectrum to have someone do composite mod to. I'm not really hand enough to put together a custom from scratch unless it's all 'snap together'. Gonna need to figure this out.

Input/suggestions still welcomed!

Shoot me a PM if you want and maybe we can work out a price for mine with the Twister Board. I didn't realize they weren't making them anymore.

• Like 1

I'll preface this by saying I don't own a ZX Spectrum, but I have been looking into one some time in the future. If you don't mind giving up the authentic CRT experience, many modern TVs can swap between NTSC and PAL, and some even do it automatically depending on the signal.

• 5 months later...

If you buy one of the non-Amstrad Spectrums, purchase a US 9v power supply with correct tip polarity, one of these... https://www.bytedelight.com/?product=zx-hd-hdmi-interface-with-ulaplus and one of these... https://www.bytedelight.com/?product=divmmc_enjoy_pro_one then you are in business. No internal mods needed.

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys, sorry to revive this topic but I just got an Timex Sinclair 2068 and hooked it to my PAL/NTSC compatible monitor and tried to output colors from the MONITOR composite output and for the avaialble colors, I just got GRAY scale output, so my question is:

Is the composite monitor output mono or color?

Thanks!