IGNORED

No picture from Atari XE Game System

amstrudy

I finally tracked down a power supply for my XEGS and fired her up with a dig-dug cart. I started with component cables, and... no picture. Some flashes of color appeared when I pressed the power button, but that was it. I tried using a Nintendo Switch RF signal changer next on the RCA jack and got some colorful, snowy picture and gross tones. Any idea what the problem could be? I tried two different carts, as well as the diagnostic button combinations to no avail. The console doesn't look damaged in any way. Thanks in advance! A video is attached, where the green is from pressing reset.

video-1527869894.mp4

If using the "Television" output jack, Use a simple RCA to Coax adapter like this: https://www.amazon.ca/Female-Straight-Connector-Coaxial-Adapter/dp/B00LUS30QM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1527870581&sr=8-4&keywords=rca+coax+adaptermost hardware stores still carry them. - Make sure TV is set to channel 2 or 3 matching the switch on the back of the XEGS. The nintendo switcher is likely not compatible.

If using the "Monitor" output jack, that would connect to the composite (usually yellow) jack on your TV or monitor. If your TV only has Component, the Y or Green connector will double as the composite input, or will at least show you a greyscale picture.

The XEGS doesn't have a channel 2 or 3, though, just H or L.

L = Channel 2

H = Channel 3

Probably so they could re-use the shell for PAL machines that use UHF channels. Nope, I just googled a picture of a PAL XEGS, and there's not even a hole or markings on the case for a switch. Permanent channel 36.

Edited by Nezgar
  • Like 1

Ok, I tried using the RCA to Coax and got pretty much the same thing as when I used the Nintendo switch box. I used the fine tuner and just got varying colors and snowy lines. At some point on the low setting I got a completely black screen with little flashes of colored dots, but that was it. I'm guessing the next step is opening it up and checking for hot chips?

Try composite video output to a display that supports composite video in.

Also connect the audio output to something and listen for bootup sounds, and key click sounds when you type.

Edited by Nezgar

I don't have a keyboard, but I tried hooking up the audio to an external speaker but didn't hear anything.

I checked each chip to see if it was getting hot, and all I found was that the 6502c chip started getting warm a few minutes in but wasn't scalding. Not sure where to go from here. Does that warrant a replacement?

This is probably the point when the next step is to start swapping IC's into this machine from a known working system. However that's daunting for most because
a) you would need another working Atari XL/XE Computer
b) the XEGS has no socketed IC's which means laborious desoldering, and high risk of damaging traces due to the low build quality of XE PCB's...