IGNORED

Who uses an Adam just to play regular CV Games?

Hannacek

I just got a good deal on an Adam Memory Console with a homebrew power supply. I think I will just use it to play ColecoVision games. It didn't come with a keyboard or anything else.

I don't even know how the Adam works. When you turn it on, it goes to the Word Processor. Then you can reset the cartridge to play Colecovision games. Do you have to turn the computer off to switch cartridges, or can you reset back to the word processor to change cartridges?

Does anyone else use an Adam just to play Colecovision games? Are there advantages to using the Adam? The Adam has composite video out with no modding, but I think you need the monitor cable to get the audio. I don't believe in modding, so using an Adam would be a way to get composite video without any modifications.

Edited by Hannacek

you can cycle the other switch to go back to smartwriter... and if you use the cable the volume output from the sgm will be very low... i open mine and tap the sound from the c88 and add 2 port to use a normal red white and yellow cable to plug in the tv... and i have one of the adam that dont require the sgm to play sgm game but of course i dont have the ay sound...

• Like 1

The standalone ADAM works great for composite video and audio output until one tries to connect Expansion Module #1 Atari 2600 adapter or the OPCODE Supergame module (if the game uses the SGM sound chip there is no audio). There is an audio bug on the standalone ADAM when using the expansion port with products that use a different sound chip (low and distorted audio for ATARI 2600 games and no audio at all for games that access the SGM sound chip). Coleco never fixed this problem and the work around is to use RF channel 3 and 4 output where the audio works fine, or better yet have a professional company or individual with the skills open the ADAM and fix the audio problem when using composite video or upgrade the ADAM to HDMI output.

Since 1983 the ADAM computer has had exclusive supergames up to 256KB in size that are much better quality when compared to a standard a 32KB Coleco cartridge. If you own a Microfox ADAM microSD Floppy Emulator (which are still in production) or you find a Disk or Digital Data Drive, then you can play exclusive Coleco ADAM supergames. Most games for the ADAM computer do not require a keyboard. Now some third party companies like TeamPixel Boy have spend a lot of time converting many of the Coleco ADAM supergames to cartridge rom format between 128KB to 256KB so that the supergames can run from the standalone ADAM computer cartridge slot with no SGM needed and the ColecoVision cartridge slot as long as the OPCODE supergame module is connected.

Edited by HDTV1080P

The ADAM is a good option to use to play ColecoVision especially since you acquired a power supply with it and don't have to deal with the space hogging printer. You also don't have to listen to the printer cycling on or everytime you press the Computer Reset.

There is a company on eBay that sells a couple variations of the 7-pin DIN Monitor Cable for Composite Video with Audio.. Sorry, don't have a link for you right now, just search Adam Monitor Cable. They are made specifically for the Adam and are very good quality.

Always TURN OFF the computer when inserting or removing cartridges... no hot swapping.

The issue with low sound output when using the E.M. #1 and or Opcode SGM can somewhat be fixed by turning the volume of the TV up until you can hear the sound effects/music. To properly fix, you have to open up the system and make a small mod on the CV Delta Board by cutting the existing wire for sound and soldering it to CAP #88 (C88).

Do yourself a favor and purchase the AtariMax Ultimate SD Cart... www.atarimax.com

Edited by NIAD

I already have a regular Colecovision, a Super Game Module, and the Ultimate SD cartridge. The sound is low when using the Atari expansion module, and the Super Game Module? I don't think I want to do a bodge to fix this, so I can just use those 2 things on my regular Colecovision.

I already have a regular Colecovision, a Super Game Module, and the Ultimate SD cartridge. The sound is low when using the Atari expansion module, and the Super Game Module? I don't think I want to do a bodge to fix this, so I can just use those 2 things on my regular Colecovision.

100% of store purchased ColecoVision’s only have RF channel 3 and 4 output and the sound works perfectly fine with the Expansion Module #1 Atari 2600 adapter and OPCODE Super Game module.

The audio problem can occur if someone made a mistake when modifying the ColecoVision for composite video, S-Video, component video, or HDMI. Some people that did hardware modifications for the ColecoVision did not use the correct location for audio and have the same audio problem the standalone ADAM computer has when using expansion modules that use their own audio chip.

From 1982 to the end of 1985 the ADAM computer was the best quality color videogame system on the market when compared to any other system. Also one of the best home computers back in 1983. Even when Coleco stopped production of the ColecoVision and ADAM computer in January 1985 and left the computer and videogame business, it was not until October 18th 1985 in North America that a more powerful videogame system was released called the Nintendo Entertainment System. But even then the 4 screen Donkey Kong the supergame and the unleased 5 screen Donkey Kong Junior the supergame (leaked by a Coleco employee into public domain) for the Coleco ADAM was still better when compared to the versions the NES system was offering .Yes the NES is more powerful, but those systems did not take full advantage of porting over quality versions of Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Junior when compared to the amount of game screens the Coleco ADAM had for those two titles. Also on the computer side Commodore released the Commodore 128 in January 1985 and the Amiga in July 1985 that was faster and better then the ADAM computer. However, because of the ADAM’s awesome classic videogames I kept using the system as my only computer from around October 1983 to around 1993, then I finally started using a computer with Windows 3.1 operating system sometime around 1993.

There are many untold stories of why the ADAM computer was not successful in the business world. Someone once told me that they knew a person many decades ago (most likely around 1984), that purchased a ADAM computer for their business with a disk drive, and after a week of owning the computer they had to get rid of it since all or most of the employees would spend too much time playing videogames on it. The business owner ended up after a week replacing the computer with an IBM text based computer with no graphics capability. Back in 1983 the ADAM was an easy to use computer with Smartkeys and built in word processor, and I am sure there are other business owners that decided to get a IBM or an Apple computer because they did not want people playing really cool state of the art videogames like Buck Rodgers the supergame. Therefore, because of the awesome color videogame quality of the ADAM computer, it hurt Coleco in the professional business world. Having nice color programs like Smartfiler and ADAM Calc was very fancy that most people were not use too. In addition, the Coleco ADAM was marketed as a home computer that also had the supergame module built in. When OPCODE games came out with their Super Game module for the ColecoVision they used extra ram technology that the ADAM already had built in (ADAM has 80KB of RAM, 64KB of useable RAM). OPCODE added a sound chip to their Super Game Module to make that part of the module better than the ADAM computer. In addition, Team Pixelboy has ported over many (not all) of the original Coleco ADAM supergames so that they run on the ColecoVision with the OPCODE supergame module attached. So what is occurring in modern times is people are using hardware and software technology for the 1983 ADAM computer and porting that technology over to the 1982 ColecoVision platform. Doing this gives ColecoVision owners a taste of what the ADAM computer is like when playing classic ADAM supergames from the 1983-1985 time period (Plus many new original 21st Century games are being developed for both the ColecoVision and ADAM computer).

Edited by HDTV1080P

I do. I had a stand alone colecovision as well. A co-worker said his wife was really into it back in the day and was looking for a Christmas present for her. I made it look awesome, tested everything with a multimeter to make sure voltages were good, and refurbished the controllers. Sold it to him for $50.

About a month later he threw me under the bus at work for something that wasn't my fault at all. 'Cause that's what friends to, right?

Quit that job, haven't talked to him since, even though he tries to chat on Facebook from time to time.

Seriously, screw that guy. So now I just use my ADAM and emulators to play.

There is a company on eBay that sells a couple variations of the 7-pin DIN Monitor Cable for Composite Video with Audio.. Sorry, don't have a link for you right now, just search Adam Monitor Cable. They are made specifically for the Adam and are very good quality.

Is this the Adam Video Cable you were talking about?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6ft-DIN-7-Male-to-2-RCA-Male-Coleco-ADAM-to-TV-Audio-Video-Cable/292364883695?hash=item44124e16ef:g:RUgAAOSwH3haLIJf

That is ideal if you only need 6 feet and it is also good quality. The following solution is better since you can use anywhere between 3 feet to 100 feet on the ADAM computer.

6-inch DIN-7 Male to 2-RCA Female Coleco ADAM to TV Audio/Video Adapter Cable

You would need to purchase two of these RG-6 RCA cables with the above adapter. It has been tested and well work all the way up to 100 feet with the standalone ADAM computer. Of course the shorter the cable a little bit better the picture and sound quality.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10236&cs_id=1023603&p_id=2680&seq=1&format=2

Edited by HDTV1080P

That is ideal if you only need 6 feet and it is also good quality. The following solution is better since you can use anywhere between 3 feet to 100 feet on the ADAM computer.

6-inch DIN-7 Male to 2-RCA Female Coleco ADAM to TV Audio/Video Adapter Cable

You would need to purchase two of these RG-6 RCA cables with the above adapter. It has been tested and well work all the way up to 100 feet with the standalone ADAM computer. Of course the shorter the cable a little bit better the picture and sound quality.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10236&cs_id=1023603&p_id=2680&seq=1&format=2

Do you have to use the RG-6 RCA cables, why not use a regular RCA cable, I have a bunch of the regular ones.

Do you have to use the RG-6 RCA cables, why not use a regular RCA cable, I have a bunch of the regular ones.

Yes you can use regular RG-59 RCA to RCA male cables if you already have some. The only advantage of the RG-6 RCA is that there is less signal loss per foot, double shielded to prevent EMI/RFI interference, and gold plated to prevent corrosion. But if you are only running 6 or 12 feet your existing cables might work perfectly fine. The nice thing about that 7 PIN to two female RCA adapter is that one can always switch to a different length of cable or brand of cable if the RCA cable gets damaged for some reason. Getting the other type of cable that has the DIN plug with the RCA ends already on it also means if the cable gets damaged or is not long enough in the future, the entire cable needs to be replaced.

Its nice to have more composite video choices for ADAM computer owners that have not yet had their ADAM upgraded to HDMI output.

Edited by HDTV1080P

Why would one want to upgrade to HDMI? Are you talking about the f18A?

Yes a direct HDMI output or VGA output like the f18A is the best solution for a better picture quality. Also all modern desktop computer monitors use HDMI without a composite video option. Now most flat panels on Smart TV's do still have at least one composite video input.

Edited by HDTV1080P