IGNORED

"Stranded" - My first ever attempt at writing an an Atari 2600 game.

OldAtAtari

** I previously posted this in the "Programming for Newbies" forum but then figured out that since this is a Batari Basic game, I should post it here instead. **

Hello, everyone.

I've been tinkering with this for a few days. I'm using Batari Basic and Visual Bb. I considered going with straight-up assembly, but I figured for my first attempt, I'd keep it as simple as possible.

I'll go ahead and post this here. It's just the basis of the first level.

There's no collision logic yet. And no scoring or dying. And the sharks need to be prettied up and made more aggressive. But it shows what I'm going for.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear it. I'm a total newb and a hack at this stuff.

Thank you!

Stranded.bas

Stranded.bas.bin

post-64679-0-91254500-1527999347_thumb.jpg

Edited by OldAtAtari
  • Like 6

** I previously posted this in the "Programming for Newbies" forum but then figured out that since this is a Batari Basic game, I should post it here instead. **

Hello, everyone.

I've been tinkering with this for a few days. I'm using Batari Basic and Visual Bb. I considered going with straight-up assembly, but I figured for my first attempt, I'd keep it as simple as possible.

There's no collision logic yet. And no scoring or dying. And the sharks need to be prettied up and made more aggressive. But it shows what I'm going for.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear it. I'm a total newb and a hack at this stuff.

Thank you!

attachicon.gifStranded.bas

attachicon.gifStranded_Level1.jpg

Can you post a .bin file to play test?

Arenafoot, you are totally right! I should have put the *.bin file there instead of just the *.bas file. I've fixed this now. The *.bin is in the first post now. If you try it, don't expect much. It's just a beginning, but I'd love to hear if you have any thoughts about what would make it better or how I could do a better job coding it.

Thank you!

• Like 1

Speaking of swimming, you can hunt for videos at YouTube for overhead swimmers like this one to give you inspiration:

youtube.com/watch?v=aQGYakT-Qbo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQGYakT-Qbo

You can also search Google Images for animated GIFs like these:

post-13-0-75783200-1528054533.gif

post-13-0-01952800-1528054541.gif

There's no way to copy them exactly, but they can point you in the right direction when making your own animations.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello, everyone.

Thank you!

attachicon.gifStranded.bas

attachicon.gifStranded.bas.bin

attachicon.gifStranded_Level1.jpg

Any more work on this???

Speaking of swimming, you can hunt for videos at YouTube for overhead swimmers like this one to give you inspiration:

youtube.com/watch?v=aQGYakT-Qbo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQGYakT-Qbo

You can also search Google Images for animated GIFs like these:

attachicon.gifabove_freestyle_swimming_rotated.gif

attachicon.gifabove_breaststroke_rotated_02.gif

There's no way to copy them exactly, but they can point you in the right direction when making your own animations.

Random Terrain, I'm sorry I just saw your post about swimming animation technique. Those are great examples. They should be of good use. Thank you!

• Like 1

Any more work on this???

Arenafoot, in a word, no. I decided that if I'm going to write a game, I might as well go whole-hog and learn assembly, which is what I'm doing now. I'm not sure that I can do what I want to do with this game in Basic. So for now, it's on hole while I educate myself. Thank you for your interest!

• Like 1

Arenafoot, in a word, no. I decided that if I'm going to write a game, I might as well go whole-hog and learn assembly, which is what I'm doing now. I'm not sure that I can do what I want to do with this game in Basic. So for now, it's on hole while I educate myself. Thank you for your interest!

Well, poop! I was going to suggest trying out the water effect I made in a game a loong time ago called Uppa Creek:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/165449-uppa-creek/

Maybe with your help and my year in review homebrew book, he might return back to it....... ;-)

• Like 1

Thanks for the support, you guys. Almost makes me want to get back into Basic.

Gemintronic, I just tried Uppa Creek! It's fun. Was it done in Basic? I do like the moving water technique.

Arenafoot, what's this about your review homebrew book?

Are you guys both into Batari Basic? Do you use VisualBB to write it, or do you write it out long-hand? Maybe I should continue with Batari Basic. I just figured at some point I'd hit something that I couldn't do in Batari, and then I'd regret not going with assembly.

Thanks.

• Like 1

I know most of the advanced programs like Bogax, Gemintronic and other use a combo of ASM and Bb. Hopefully this book will help me learn ASM when it comes out or if someone knows a site ASM for Dummies (no pun intended). It seems to have more advantages with the mixture and if your able to build your own kernels as well.

Edited by Lewis2907

Are you guys both into Batari Basic? Do you use VisualBB to write it, or do you write it out long-hand? Maybe I should continue with Batari Basic. I just figured at some point I'd hit something that I couldn't do in Batari, and then I'd regret not going with assembly.

Thanks.

I've already written two books in my series "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" (volumes 1 & 2), and volume 3 will be in 2019 (see link in my signature below for the books). But currently I'm working/writing on two books at one time - a Holiday Homebrew Companion & a 2018: Year in Review Homebrew Companion. So any game posted between Jan 1st and Dec 31st - completed, released, WIP, demo, proof of concept, etc will be included in the book (with permission) - so hoping you continue this one....

I know nothing of programming - that's why I'm the curator of the "List" and now have branched out into book writing. James O'Brien (ZeroPage Homebrew Gaming videos) and I are trying to bring the homebrew scene to people who didn't know it existed, and give exposure to the programmers. I started the "List" out of a need to find an updated list of homebrews and hacks since the last homebrew posted on the AA website is from 2005 and you would have to search thru the forums here for everything else from 2005 to present day. Which is what I've completed in the first 3 years of the list (2013-2015).

• Like 1

Gemintronic, I just tried Uppa Creek! It's fun. Was it done in Basic? I do like the moving water technique.

Thanks.

I only got into batari BASIC after VisualbB came out (late 2007/early 2008). Grew up with robust IDEs and it's been just about a requirement ever since. batari BASIC lets you focus on game design rather than agonizing over the graphical kernel. As noted inline assembly and custom add-on kernels can be integrated as needed. Fortunately, many canned kernels come standard in bB allowing multiple virtual sprites, multicolored sprites and colorful, resizable playfields. RevEngs title screen kernel makes high resolution intro screens a snap. batari BASIC can work with AtariAge boards up to 64k ROM with SuperChip RAM. batari BASIC can support a format up to 256k ROM with SuperChip RAM. This is all without serious hardware assist.. I'd look into DPC+ for further enhancements :) Techniques to utilize genesis gamepads, I2C flash storage and voice are available.

UPDATE: Please note that some people LOVE to "agonize" over the graphical kernel and enjoy the game of chess that is cycle counting. That is a totally valid and awesome viewpoint. It makes Boulderdash, Draconian and demo scene intros possible :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ha! If you procrastinate long enough, you'll often end up not needing to do the work. I was just looking through some Atari 2600 roms, and I found something called "Survival Island" from 1983. I loaded it up in Stella, and sure enough, the first stage of this game has a guy swimming toward an island. He has to dodge sharks and such. It's more or less exactly what I was going to do!

So maybe I'll think of a different game to try.

• 1 month later...