IGNORED

Replacement XEGS micro-switches?

I have an XEGS working except a problem with the micro-switches. OPTION does not seem to work so XEX files are out for me right now with ReseQt software. Now, If I turn on the system, it alternates between built in Missle Command and the Self Test. Seems my SELECT button micro-switch somehow now is REVERSE polarity: If I push select it WONT boot into M.C. I've a feeling I should replace the microswitches for OPTION and likely SELECT, if not them all or just the wonky ones and wait for the others to go. I have many microswitches but does anyone have a link to or part number for these taller ones needed on an XEGS? Most appreciated!!

I have an XEGS working except a problem with the micro-switches. OPTION does not seem to work so XEX files are out for me right now with ReseQt software. Now, If I turn on the system, it alternates between built in Missle Command and the Self Test. Seems my SELECT button micro-switch somehow now is REVERSE polarity: If I push select it WONT boot into M.C. I've a feeling I should replace the microswitches for OPTION and likely SELECT, if not them all or just the wonky ones and wait for the others to go. I have many microswitches but does anyone have a link to or part number for these taller ones needed on an XEGS? Most appreciated!!

These are listed in the Best Electronics catalog addendum:

XE Game Machine Start, Select, Option and reset mother board vertical mounting small black switch. CB101777 $2.00

• 5 weeks later...

I managed to repair them by removing top part carefully with pliers then removing the rubber pad, cleaning with isopropylalcohol. drying out with cotton pads. then use pencil to cover the rubber tip that is touching the contacts inside the switch.

see here: http://vybostok.com/flooded-and-rusted-atari-xegs-repair/

Edited by goldy/gmg aka lopez453
  • Like 5

@goldy: I saw your link which is very helpful! I was excited to see the type of switch and how they work prior to yanking on them willy nilly. Also positive was the chance of not needing to desolder if an alternate fix exists. I have replacement switches, but tried your method first. Unfortunately in my case, the problem remains - my select and option buttons are still buggered. With the system also toggling between booting to self test/missile command/self test/missile command, could I maybe have a failing PLA chip? (Wait, maybe lowercase text on diagrams is throwing me- I think PLA is C64 and PIA is Atari)...

@goldy: I saw your link which is very helpful! I was excited to see the type of switch and how they work prior to yanking on them willy nilly. Also positive was the chance of not needing to desolder if an alternate fix exists. I have replacement switches, but tried your method first. Unfortunately in my case, the problem remains - my select and option buttons are still buggered. With the system also toggling between booting to self test/missile command/self test/missile command, could I maybe have a failing PLA chip? (Wait, maybe lowercase text on diagrams is throwing me- I think PLA is C64 and PIA is Atari)...

You could have a bad GTIA chip (which handles the console switches), bad 6520 PIA (used to for PORTB bits that trigger bankswitching and accessing the Self Test screen), or a bad MMU chip.

And rather than a bad chip, it might also be a bad connection or connections at the socket(s). I’ve had a single machine with three bad sockets before - albeit this was a badly abused machine that I was rescuing.

Well, I swapped out the START, SELECT, OPTION, and RESET micro switches one at a time and testing each new switch before moving on to the next. They all are working fine now. I'm glad I ordered extra as one of them felt squishy vs the others being nice and springy. So I had to redo the one squishy I didn't notice until testing. Great simple lesson to remember if anyone else does this - test the switches' feel BEFORE soldering it to the board. Saves time and better safety keeping heat off the board. This action may have fixed another issue...

@DrVenkman and everyone: the buttons work but as I never had a XEGS and am not used to having a built in game (I was an 800xl only type before), one question about default XEGS behavior:

Is this the way the machine was made when no cartridge is inserted?

POWER ON = Missile Command

POWER ON with HOLD START = Blue screen with BEEP and no "Ready" nor cursor.

POWER ON with HOLD SELECT = Ready Prompt

POWER ON with HOLD OPTION = Self Test

RESET = Missile Command

RESET with HOLD SELECT = Ready Prompt

EDIT: I should also add that I tested RespeQt software with it, and I must hold down SELECT when powering on if I want to load an ATR image through my SIO2PC cable. On my XL I just power it up. I'm hoping I don't have a reverse polarity issue with SELECT.

EDIT TWO: ** A Youtube video had someone demonstrate the XEGS where he showed that if the KEYBOARD is plugged in it boots to the Ready prompt and if you UNPLUG it, then it boots into Missile Command! I never knew about that quirk. Maybe my system now is back to 100% intended functionality?

Edited by seastalker

@Kyle22: Thank you for the confirmation. The change when you disconnect the keyboard had me thrown. I've successfully fully restored my XEGS with 4 brand new Alps switches, and fully cleaned. I really like the look of this in my collection. I was XL all the way so this is my first XE (I don't have much interest in getting a 65 or 130XE unless it was a steal)

• Like 2

This one has ZERO socketed chips. I do have a U1M on order but it will likely go in an XL with Svideo (and maybe Sophia too). The XEGS will be more retro casual with stock everything - Only component out (no UAV, Antonia, Sophia etc). The XEGS at least IS on a CRT with light gun and SIO2USB cable. :) Until I get some Hakko solder/desoldering gear, I dare not butcher the XEGS.

• Like 1

Why they named both starting with 'compo" instead of sounding completely different in name is beyond me.. except to trip us up like now. :)

I guess CVBS would be a less ambiguous designation - (Composite Video Baseband Signal) or YPbPr for Component :D

• 5 months later...

Are the switches that difficult to replace? I'm pretty good with a soldering iron. I need to replace all four on my XE. Any other source for the switches besides Best Electronics?

I’m actually going to attempt this fix first since I have two XEGS in need of repair:

http://vybostok.com/8bit-atari/flooded-and-rusted-atari-xegs-repair/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk