IGNORED

What's the Best PlayStation 3 Model?

I'll be getting a PlayStation 3 at some point in the future and I was wondering what's considered the best model. I've heard the "phat" model has some heating problems and of course it's huge, but I think there's a specific model that plays original PlayStation and PlayStation 2 games. That must be sought after so how do I look for that in particular? Then there's the slim that just looks cool and solid, but I've never owned one so I just don't know. And then there's the super slim model that I helped my cousin hook up a few months ago and looks and feels flimsy as hell. That's just personal experience from using that version for a few hours and it's completely anecdotal.

So I turn to you guys Which is considered the best PlayStation 3 model? I looked up on some Facebook groups and there's barely any difference in terms of price between them. Just for reference, I never owned a PS3, so when I get the console, I intend to catch up on some exclusive games which means I'll use it a lot.

If you are looking for a fat PS3, there are some things to watch out for.

Only the PS3's with 4 USB ports on the front can play PS2 games. If it has two ports, then no PS2.

Model numbers for the PS2 compatible fats start with: CECHA, CECHB, CECHC, and CECHE. "A" and "B" models are most compatible, but generate the most heat. Thus they tend to overheat the most. "C" and "E" models are least compatible but generate a little less heat, and so are less prone to overheat than the first two models.

Edited by chue
  • Like 1

Avoid the fat PS3. I babied mine, didn't use it much, kept it fully out in the open with plenty of clearance for all vents and fans, and of course it died in the same way so many others have.

Sony had this problem with a lot of their stuff around that time. I have a VAIO laptop that has the same exact issue. It's something about the way they were soldering stuff back then. The solder just cracks.

I haven't heard of any real problems with the slim or super slim. At this point I might be more inclined to get a super slim, just because a super slim is likely to have fewer miles on it, and they're mechanically simpler machines. There is no motor for the eject mechanism to go bad, which is something happening to a lot of PS2's now (including both of mine). Also, the laser mechanism and disc motor are just right there; no need to even take the system apart to access them. So I think the super slim will be somewhat more reliable as time goes on, and will also be easier to work on if anything does go wrong.

I feel the Slim may be more elegant, but agree that the Super Slim will likely remain more reliable over the years. I have the later and it has treated me well over the years. I sort of like the slide door covering the disc tray, no waiting to put the games in or take them out.

I owned a 40GB fat (bought new) that was not backwards compatible. It lasted many years before giving me the yellow light of death. I fixed it a few times, but eventually it would fail again.

I later bought a 250GB slim (bought used) which lasted about a year before the disc drive failed. It can still be used as a streaming machine or for playing digital games, but I cannot run any discs through it.

I finally bought a 500GB super slim (bought new), and so far no issues. It's definitely my least favorite design, but if it works, it works.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I don't know why people are so attached to the slim, I've had a slim and a super slim and well i kept the super. Reasons.

less moving parts that slot loader is just crying out to fail where the manual opener will never fail.

smaller. fits into my shelf where the super is too deep.

system noise is about the same, outputs are just as good on either.

the only downside i can see, mate of mine mods ps3's and there doesn't appear to be a mod he's found that's as good (or any mods) for the super slim. i imagine that will be a time thing.

I have a Super Slim Azurite blue PS3 and won't lie, I largely bought it for the color. I'm a simple guy :P

But this one and my daughter in law's oooold Super Slim PS3 run like champs, despite many many many katrillion hours of gameplay and blu ray watching.

Just make sure to get the remote if you're going to watch movies; keeping the controller battery up is a serious pain for movies and the remotes can be had dirt cheap pretty much anywhere.

I had a fat model...never had a single problem with it (60GB). My brother still has his (we both picked them up on launch) and his is fine to this day...not a single issue. But, neither of us play games for hours and hours on end like some people do. Maybe an hour or two at max per play session. So that may be the saving grace. Maybe they just never hit those thermal temps needed to cause any damage. In any case, I stand by them personally. By contrast, I had a slim in which the HDD died one day after purchase. I'll never seek out a slim again due to that bad taste.

I always wanted the 20GB model myself. When I purchased the 60GB model the 20GB model was right there as well for $100 cheaper IIRC. I almost got it but didn't.

I didnt buy a PS3 until about a year and half ago, when I picked up a slim for a nice price. Since then, Ive bought several more. The 60GB BC is my favorite. I like it for the same reason I like the 5200. Both are the epitome of DE-luxe for their respective eras.

Edited by boxpressed

I had a fat 60G model. It died. I bought it very close to launch, so late 2006 or early 2007. Looking back at old posts, it looks like it died somewhere in late 2009 or early 2010. So it gave me about three years.

I had a Slim model. The disc drive died. I could still play downloaded games and use it in every other way, but I couldn't play discs of any type: PS1, PS3, DVDs, Blu Rays, CDs. I bought it almost immediately after the old one died, so let's say 2010. It died in mid 2013. I remember I had just got one of the later JP Blu Ray volumes of Space Battleship Yamato 2199 and discovered it wouldn't play, prompting me to have to replace the system. So, I guess it was in service for about 3 and a half years.

I currently have a SuperSlim. It is still performing admirably. It has been my primary console since at least August of 2013, so five years.

• 4 weeks later...

I had a fat 60G model. It died. I bought it very close to launch, so late 2006 or early 2007. Looking back at old posts, it looks like it died somewhere in late 2009 or early 2010. So it gave me about three years.

I had a Slim model. The disc drive died. I could still play downloaded games and use it in every other way, but I couldn't play discs of any type: PS1, PS3, DVDs, Blu Rays, CDs. I bought it almost immediately after the old one died, so let's say 2010. It died in mid 2013. I remember I had just got one of the later JP Blu Ray volumes of Space Battleship Yamato 2199 and discovered it wouldn't play, prompting me to have to replace the system. So, I guess it was in service for about 3 and a half years.

I currently have a SuperSlim. It is still performing admirably. It has been my primary console since at least August of 2013, so five years.

Crazy how similar you situation was to mine. I still think the fat model looks the best, but I will continue to stick with my super slim as long as it works.

• 2 weeks later...

The original BC models are the most feature-rich, but also the most prone to failure from overheating. But they also have memory card slots for various media applications, which Ive never used but its a cool addition nonetheless. The slim is my personal favorite but that disc insert drive can be prone to failure. The super slim supposedly has the highest quality internals but they really skimped out on the case quality. That sliding door is incredibly flimsy and some of the side panels can quite literally pop off in your hands. It does have the smallest form factor, so if shelf space is a concern for you then that might be the one to go with.

I own one of each model and enjoy each of them in different ways, but overall I would recommend the slim version because it has the best balance of build quality, reliability, and general aesthetics. But if PS2 backwards compatibility is your jam, then an original fat 4-port is your only option, but like others here have pointed out, the vast majority of them are ticking time bombs waiting to overheat and yellow light their way into oblivion. I know because thats exactly what happened to my first BC 80gb.

• 10 months later...

For sure, as others have said previously, the phat models tend to overheat more easily, though they are more reliable when it comes to being backwards compatible, espesically the units that end their CH designation with "A" or "B". However, from what I've heard, the first batch of Slim models(mostly 120GB models. are backwards compatible with some PS2 games, though not as much as the 20GB, 60GB, and early run 80GB phat PS3s. On top of that, the Phat models are a better but if you want to mod or hack it, especially when it comes to installing CFW.

I've had the original style  (80GB) post removal of the PS2 bits and to date it still works like a dream, though for at least the last 5 years at least it just was used for many discs for movies or streaming.

A stunning deal last week at a goodwill (screw up my guess) I got the super slim model for a steal and I needed a new player for my room so that helped, but I do want to get a few games for it and try some I missed out on as I didn't have games about the time of the GOW Saga box, the Odin Sphere re-release, etc so there's room to play.  From what I have put into it for time so far I like the hardware there as it seems more reliable and basic than the older model and like perhaps less likely to choke with the less electrics parts to it (like the drive motor is gone) which I consider a plus.