IGNORED

MSI plug & plays; Namco Museum and Street Fighter?

Azathoth

The local Wal-Mart has reorganized their electronics section and has most of their plug & plays or standalone consoles all in one section. They've got the shelf space divided off for specific things even if they don't have it in stock and have the UPC sticker in the front. They've got a section of those (rubbish) Famiclone plug & plays by MSI (Mega Man 2, Double Dragon, Ms. Pacman, etc).

Two of the things they don't have in stock but have the prices up for are new plug and plays by MSI, a Street Fighter and a Namco Museum ($17.88). I can't seem to find any info about either of these units anywhere and I wouldn't think a store would bother taking those measures for a product that won't be on the market for months.

Anyone have any info?

MSI's website refers to the Namco one as Collection instead of Museum, but I double checked the UPC at a different Wal-Mart today and it's definitely listed as Namco Museum. Both it and the Street Fighter SKU are next to the rest of the MSI stuff.

Interestingly enough it seems Dreamgear is coming out with a Namco 10 inch machine like their Data East one that is indeed called Namco Museum.

• 3 months later...

On their about page, I noticed that they were formerly Majesco--the company who re-released the Game Gear and Genesis after they were dead--if I remember correctly.

Yes, they're legit if that's the case. The founder's initials are MS so I guess he's renamed the company after himself?

I'm several months late reacting to this, but what MSI Entertainment has on their About page is at odds with a few known facts. It's hard to reconcile the discrepancies. First of all, Majesco is still around, and still operating under the name "Majesco"; see their Twitter account for recent activity. Majesco underwent a reverse merger at the end of 2016, after which it briefly exited the gaming industry, and then its assets were taken private in 2017 (its former NASDAQ symbol, COOL, is still held by the biotech company that briefly owned it) by former CEO Jesse Sutton. Jesse Sutton is one of the sons of Majesco founder Morris Sutton. That brings us to discrepancy #2: Morris Sutton, not Moses Sutton as the MSI About page claims. Here's Morris Sutton's LinkedIn account, which brings us to discrepancy #3: if MSI is the same thing as Majesco, then how is it that Morris Sutton was, as his LinkedIn account says, president and CEO of MSI starting in 2009, when Majesco was most definitely still operating as Majesco (note: the elder Sutton had left Majesco in 2006-2007 under shareholder pressure)?

I can't explain the strange revisionist history on MSI's About page, but they are not the same thing as Majesco, merely founded and run by the same guy who founded and, for a time, ran Majesco. And, I don't know, maybe "Moses" is just a nickname? Or could whoever created MSI's website be so out of it that not only did they write "Jaus 2" and "© 2023" on its pages, but they even misspelled the name of the head of the company?

onmode-ky

• Like 1