IGNORED

Delta Space Arena Deluxe Edition

peteym5

Posted Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:27 PM

I would like to make an official announcement for the re-release for Delta Space Arena Deluxe edition for the Atari 8-bit. It is essentially an enhanced version of Omega Race (aka DeltaRace). I did want to showcase the ability of the Atari 8-bit computer over that of versions of Omega Race on Commodore 64, Vic-20, Atari 2600, and the Arcade version. The game is more colorful, each level has a different design for the Arena. Some additional enemies. It works on any standard unmodified Atari 8-bit. I cannot guarantee it will work with certain hardware mods. The cartridge is now available from Atari Sales (video 61) for $39.95. The game will also be available for the Atari 5200.
The Deluxe edition was made after receiving some requests for games that can make use of the Indy 500 controller. I decided to make that an option, along with the ability to use paddles, trackball. The default controller at start up is still joystick. You will need to press OPTION when the start splash screen is up to change the controller. There were never any glitches or bugs reported with the original version of the game so this version plays essentially the same with the exception of using a different controller. Some sound effects were changed, a background drum beat can be heard every few seconds, and a short tune is played an the end of each level. The "Fuzzies" or "Static" on the right side of the screen had been reduced to one pixel for those who play Atari games on modern displays. This is done by activating the HSCROLL bit in the display list and setting the HSCROL to 1. The cartridge will have a new label similar to Atari Silver label with the rainbow color strip.
The 8-bit version fits into a 16K cartridge and uses inflate compression instead of more expensive bank switching cartridges. It was the first in a series of smaller games that were developed with intent to be sold at a lower price. I already ported a version of Venture to also fit into a 16 cartridge. I made a video and some screen shots of the game.
I am would like to keep this in the 8-bit section to answer questions and provide wide spread support. Since this game can receive input from four different controllers, I anticipate questions. One thing I did similar to the Commodore version of Omega race was when using a paddle, you need to hold down the fire button for a second for thrust, this also applies to the driving controller.

post-14332-0-03582500-1528378631.jpg

post-14332-0-01769900-1528379427.jpg

post-14332-0-60334100-1528379434.jpg

post-14332-0-00824000-1528379442.jpg

• Like 4

Neat, looking forward to information on the 5200 version, good idea offering paddle and Trakball option. In watching the video, is that the fastest the ship can move? One of the unique aspect of Omega Race is the crazy fast response of the thrust causing the player ship to bounce in a mad frenzied control. Perhaps include thrust speed setting option defaulting to Arcade Omega Race standard?

I was just doing just quick tap of the thrust. The ship can actually move faster. When I was recording the video with Alitrra, noticed some time lag and they might had been recorded in the video.

I could not to duplicate Omega race 100% due to copyright issues. Although I only seen Nintendo coming onto AtariAge and cracking down for similar replication their properties, other companies could also see this and lawyers could seen this as an opportunity. I had been hearing rumors that other people had been contacted.

I used thick lines made up with redefined graphic font characters. Added more color, different enemies, animations, sound effects, and power ups.

Edited by peteym5

For me the instant thrust speed the main part of the game. By throwing in the Trakball support for the 5200, the instant "Spinner control" could be emulated along with rapid rocket in performing the crazy moves. Delta Space Arena already has the gameplay of the old vector arcade Omega Race, so adding the speed should not make any difference as far as copy right of a decades old cabinet.

Perhaps include an option menu just like the vector arcade Space Wars to select speed? You could even go nuts in a 2.0 version adding a second player and include the Space War options of team or enemy play. now that would be a cart I would hyper jump and even buy a second Trakball for the 5200!

space_war_044.jpg

Edited by CRTGAMER

I tried to adjust the speed of the game, however, the way it is currently set up allows up to a certain speed. It would require me to recalculate the sine tables and mess around with program. I believe many are satisfied the game works as it does. Some may find the game unplayable if the ship and objects move too fast. The game does challenge you in other ways.

The controller and sound update is the only update I plan to do for this game, but the game play is kept the same as the version released in 2014. This update happened because Video61 wanted something more going on for the 5200 version, I made the changes, and decided to why not enhance the 8-bit version and maybe we will sell a few more games.

I am currently working on wrapping up Secretum Labyrinth Dark Castles before doing more small games that only use the first 16K RAM area, like a 600XL or 5200. I am finally getting around to doing something like Ladybug & Mouse Trap. Also looking at games similar to Solar Fox and Zoo Keeper.

Edited by peteym5