IGNORED

Tank AI

Albert

TankAI.gifHave you ever wished you could play Atari's Combat by yourself when you didn't have a friend handy to play against? Thanks to the efforts of Zach Matley, you'll be able to! Zach is developing a version of Combat called Tank AI that allows you to play against the computer! Tank AI will only feature the Tank game of Combat, but several unique mazes will be included.

Combat always had a one-player game...it's called Dancing Tanks (try to find the position that causes the tanks to jump around the screen the longest). I found one that lasted well past two minutes and into the attract mode before stopping once.

Combat always had a one-player game...it's called Dancing Tanks (try to find the position that causes the tanks to jump around the screen the longest).  I found one that lasted well past two minutes and into the attract mode before stopping once.

LOL! 2 minutes???

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

Yup...they would circle a few times, then move the entire length of the screen a few times (moving slightly upward), then repeat. This continued until the tanks crossed the top boundry of the screen. Then they broke apart and ended up on opposite edges of the playfield.

Hello Everyone,

I'm glad to see such an enthusiastic response to the news. Tank AI started as a project for my artificial intelligence class. We should all thank my professor for letting his students choose their projects. I'd also like to take this opportunity to thank Joe Decuir and Larry Wagner, recognized as the original programmers of Combat. More thanks go to Harry Dodgson, Nick Bensema, and Roger Williams, who put together the Combat disassembly.

One thing I'd like to ask the community is about priorities. Because of limited ROM space, there is a trade-off between the number of mazes and the complexity of the AI. Using my most complex AI design, I could do 2 mazes. With some simplification I could maybe fit 4 in a ROM. With even more simplification, I could probably do more. Where would you like the balance to tip?

Zach

Yes... better AI wins.

Man, if only this had existed back in the day! I always HATED Combat and thought it was the stupidest game EVER because I never had anyone to play it with.

(I really never got why they packed-in a two-player-only game. Sears' choice to pack in Target Fun made a lot more sense.)

Hello Everyone,

One thing I'd like to ask the community is about priorites. Because of limited ROM space, there is a trade-off between the number of mazes and the complexity of the AI. Using my most complex AI design, I could do 2 mazes. With some simplification I could maybe fit 4 in a ROM. With even more simplification, I could probably do more. Where would you like the balance to tip?

Zach

Both? Two roms...one with complex AI and less mazes and the other with the less complicated AI, but more mazes. :)

This sounds like a great idea!

As far as the AI goes, I am going to have to agree with the others on a strong AI. The more unpredictable the computer can act, the better. It will make for a fun and challenging game, no matter how many mazes there are.

Homer: "I love you Atari!"

Not only am I trying to get every game from Atari and Sears Telegames,...but I also collect Homebrews, Repro's, Hacks, and Proto's with labels that closely resemble Original Atari or Sears Label games,(Mini Golf +, Snow White, RealSports Basketball, etc!).....both Pix label and Text Label....so if this game happens to come out looking alot like the original game, (with a modified title or something), I would be extremely interested,...if not.....dernnit!

One thing I'd like to ask the community is about priorities. Because of limited ROM space, there is a trade-off between the number of mazes and the complexity of the AI. Using my most complex AI design, I could do 2 mazes. With some simplification I could maybe fit 4 in a ROM. With even more simplification, I could probably do more. Where would you like the balance to tip?  

Zach

I'd vote for a better AI as long as one of the mazes is this :

s_Combat_2.png

I'd also vote for better AI. But the maze(s) should be complex enough to take advantage of it. I agree some of the original Combat mazes would be great. A wide-open playfield probably wouldn't be much fun.

I like the idea of two versions. A strong AI version with two mazes, and then a less strong version with more mazes.

And... how about for the latter version - a maze design contest, similar to the one done for Miniature Golf+?

But I think I'd prefer a smarter game, than one with more mazes, if it came down to one or the other. (Would increasing the ROM size allow more mazes and strong AI?)

All right. It appears to be unanimous that the balance should tip towards AI. I will keep this in mind when designing. I probably didn't make it clear from my last post that the AI would be good in any of the scenarios described earlier, but I will proceed with my most complex design. Two mazes is a conservative estimate; there's a good chance I can squeeze some more in.

Some people have wondered how large the ROM will be. I'm going to use every byte I can get and make 32K of AI goodness.

By the way, does anyone remember this thread?

-Zach

Archived