IGNORED

Gyruss for Intellivision?

Here is the attached video. On the proof that it is not the arttrag code in the developer section there is pit engine which is the basic engine of this. I wrote it and distributed with a gpl license.

The version of gyruss is naturally much improved, but not too much

I want to clarify that the source of artrag I had downloaded was in a post that had no updates for 13 months, without a license in the interior, not even a classic readme and without any credit. It has not been boxed as it was but has been largely rewritten and adapted. I understood that the code could not be used and could not be compromised to make up for the error, I rewritten everything from the blank sheet. When John Carmack wrote doom3 he had the same problem with an audio routine and I did the same thing

I apologize again for my English: I'm using google translator to read and write

Gyruss.mp4

I want to clarify that the source of artrag I had downloaded was in a post that had no updates for 13 months...

Then, I guess you won't mind if 13 months after you release your game, the ROM gets ripped and passed around the forum for free.

-dZ.

Vroby, you should publish here the rom for free before selling the boxed game. This would be a good compromise for you have done to me and to the community.

Collectors will buy the game in any case, and you are respecting my willing about the reuse of my work.

This sounds like a more than fair enough compromise and then everyone can move forward from there.

If this is ok with Artrag and he has no plans to box and distribute the game or his code on his own of course!

Edited by wolfy62

My game is already free on this forum, and its cartridge version is on the way.

We expect to sell it to collectors even if the rom is on internet.

If Dino and Roberto do the same this would be a good compromise for everyone.

I agree with artrag. That would be a good faith gesture towards the community.

• Like 2

From the video, it's closer to Atari 2600 Gyruss than Deep Zone Gorf, which is good. I recommend to do some additional polish like multi-color planet using the MOBs. Atari 2600 uses additional color for the planets. Also spelling correction too like Change Stage to be Chance Stage, Urans to Uranus.

Vroby, you should publish here the rom for free before selling the boxed game. This would be a good compromise for you have done to me and to the community.
Collectors will buy the game in any case, and you are respecting my willing about the reuse of my work.

I think this would be great. The feedback and help provided by the community can improve this game.

This is an interesting proposal.

The source of engine is already available in programming section with a demo.

The Rom could be published here when game is available.

I also believe that if it works it could also be used for other projects in the pipeline.

However, it is right to talk about it with Dinoy too and it would be better to re-admit it in atariage, so that we can all understand how to find the compromise.

I do not like writing on the forums. I prefer to write the code.

@kiwi Thank'you for the suggestions that I really appreciated.

I finish the last levels and try to improve the planets.

I already use mobs (2 for saturn)

I am unhappy with collisions and I have slowdowns in some phases of the game

The fraud you were organizing is not only against me, but against all the community, by selling at 150€ as your, my free game.

The Reparation should go toward the community you were going to fraud.

Publishing the rom version here for free is in line with the aim of my work with Deep Zone and represent a compensation to the scene.

Collectors, on the other side, are interested in the physical item, with box and manual.

In a good percent of these cases with collectors the box will stay unopened on a shelf and the game can be whatever (they buy mainly te box).

So, it could be a way to rehabilitate your reputation to my eyes and I think to the people who has understood what you was doing.

Edited by artrag

Just my $0.02:

One real way to settle this would be to release not the ROM but the source, and make it a real community project to make the best Gyruss port possible.

As for the CIB price: $200 USD is a total deal-breaker for me. That is NOT a reasonable price for a homebrew IMHO.

• Like 4

Just my $0.02:

One real way to settle this would be to release not the ROM but the source, and make it a real community project to make the best Gyruss port possible.

As for the CIB price: $200 USD is a total deal-breaker for me. That is NOT a reasonable price for a homebrew IMHO.

Agreed on both counts.

• Like 1

My game is already free on this forum, and its cartridge version is on the way.

We expect to sell it to collectors even if the rom is on internet.

If Dino and Roberto do the same this would be a good compromise for everyone.

That is very gracious of you, artrag. I agree this step should be taken before anyone even considers purchasing anything involving Gyruss.

• Like 2

Plus because of this..... Complete ripoff in every way, for trying to steal code and then trying to steal from the community.. burn then and show the video here..

Was 150 euros I think, currently $176us, $227cdn!!

Plus postage I assume

Nice packaging but not that nice!

Edited by m-crew

The last thing we need is for someone to help increase retro prices by selling a homebrew retro game for $200.

Yeah, that is wacky-doodle. I'm a capitalist and all, but that won't go over well with the collector community. That is pure abuse of the collector market. I would argue that creating expensive items for the pure goal of charging a lot of money as opposed to releasing a great game would lead to me adding those items to collector lists with a big asterisk of "not considered a normal collectible item" or some such verbage. I am one of the folks blessed with the freedom and means to purchase high-cost, collectible items but I don't like this business model at all.

• Like 3

Yeah, that is wacky-doodle. I'm a capitalist and all, but that won't go over well with the collector community. That is pure abuse of the collector market. I would argue that creating expensive items for the pure goal of charging a lot of money as opposed to releasing a great game would lead to me adding those items to collector lists with a big asterisk of "not considered a normal collectible item" or some such verbage. I am one of the folks blessed with the freedom and means to purchase high-cost, collectible items but I don't like this business model at all.

It makes many retro games inaccessible, and only reachable by a few individuals. This in the long-term would actually cripple the retro community. Can you imagine if I sold a homebrew 2600 version of combat, with the tanks having different colors, and sold it for $200 and it sold? original Combat would be $100 or more a pop. It would then spread to other 2600 games, and suddenly, collecting for the 2600 wouldn't be viable.

It's why i disliked Ebay so much in the early 2000's. Most gaming items have recovered and lowered in price since then, but some things are permanently expensive since those Ebay mark-ups back in the day.

• Like 3

While I agree with the general premise that overtly expensive homebrew offerings are not a good thing, I have to also point out that should any of these doomsday scenarios come to pass it will be the collectors' fault, not the sellers. We control what the market will be and what price points will be considered acceptable, not the sellers. Ultimately it is on us if prices spiral out of control. If something is priced at an unacceptable amount we simply have to choose not to purchase it until the cost comes down to a reasonable level. If it sells out at said high price point then we were wrong about the proper value to begin with and simply have to accept that some things are worth more than some of us would like. Regardless, it is up to us to decide. There's no point in complaining about the market and how it moves when we are the ones that move it.

I also don't see anything like this happening. There will always be people like Rev around publishing and selling games at reasonable rates and in decent volume. None of the other publishers seem to be venturing too far past the $70-80 range either even with full packaging so I think one group trying to sell something at $200 is hardly a threat to the community. In truth, considering how much it costs to acquire older homebrews like 4-Tris and Stonix, one could say a part of your concerns has already come to pass with little effect on the scene in general.

Collecting isn't some Utopia *snert* where everyone has equal access via equal resources to having equal collections. We all have to decide what fits and what does not in our individual stashes based on value, quality, desirability and available finances. We can't all have cmart's collection. We can't all have the entire 125. We can't all own every homebrew ever created. If you didn't know that coming into the hobby or didn't figure that out shortly after, that's on you. I have ZERO intention of paying $200 for any new homebrew and I get to express that by voting 'NO' with my wallet closed. But if I am outvoted by 100 people who think $200 actually is reasonable then so be it. Neither the 100 buyers nor the game's seller owe me anything.

That's just life in a free market folks. Sometimes it sucks.

• Like 4