IGNORED

Gyruss for Intellivision?

While I agree with the general premise that overtly expensive homebrew offerings are not a good thing, I have to also point out that should any of these doomsday scenarios come to pass it will be the collectors' fault, not the sellers. We control what the market will be and what price points will be considered acceptable, not the sellers. Ultimately it is on us if prices spiral out of control. If something is priced at an unacceptable amount we simply have to choose not to purchase it until the cost comes down to a reasonable level. If it sells out at said high price point then we were wrong about the proper value to begin with and simply have to accept that some things are worth more than some of us would like. Regardless, it is up to us to decide. There's no point in complaining about the market and how it moves when we are the ones that move it.

I also don't see anything like this happening. There will always be people like Rev around publishing and selling games at reasonable rates and in decent volume. None of the other publishers seem to be venturing too far past the $70-80 range either even with full packaging so I think one group trying to sell something at $200 is hardly a threat to the community. In truth, considering how much it costs to acquire older homebrews like 4-Tris and Stonix, one could say a part of your concerns has already come to pass with little effect on the scene in general.

Collecting isn't some Utopia *snert* where everyone has equal access via equal resources to having equal collections. We all have to decide what fits and what does not in our individual stashes based on value, quality, desirability and available finances. We can't all have cmart's collection. We can't all have the entire 125. We can't all own every homebrew ever created. If you didn't know that coming into the hobby or didn't figure that out shortly after, that's on you. I have ZERO intention of paying $200 for any new homebrew and I get to express that by voting 'NO' with my wallet closed. But if I am outvoted by 100 people who think $200 actually is reasonable then so be it. Neither the 100 buyers nor the game's seller owe me anything.

That's just life in a free market folks. Sometimes it sucks.

Excellent post! ??

• Like 2

Unfortunately I have little time for the forum. I do not mind at all the idea that the Roma is available and the box for collectors too.

The source does not release it: I've already released the engine and this is just the set-up and it's not that you can do too many games. Much more interesting could be a SEUK engine to which I can work after this game if I do not want to.

Friday I publish a new video with advances here.

I invite everyone to tell them about the game and the best ones.

I ask you again to readmit DinoY in atariage so that you can communicate with him on how to publish

While I agree with the general premise that overtly expensive homebrew offerings are not a good thing, I have to also point out that should any of these doomsday scenarios come to pass it will be the collectors' fault, not the sellers. We control what the market will be and what price points will be considered acceptable, not the sellers. Ultimately it is on us if prices spiral out of control. If something is priced at an unacceptable amount we simply have to choose not to purchase it until the cost comes down to a reasonable level. If it sells out at said high price point then we were wrong about the proper value to begin with and simply have to accept that some things are worth more than some of us would like. Regardless, it is up to us to decide. There's no point in complaining about the market and how it moves when we are the ones that move it.

I also don't see anything like this happening. There will always be people like Rev around publishing and selling games at reasonable rates and in decent volume. None of the other publishers seem to be venturing too far past the $70-80 range either even with full packaging so I think one group trying to sell something at $200 is hardly a threat to the community. In truth, considering how much it costs to acquire older homebrews like 4-Tris and Stonix, one could say a part of your concerns has already come to pass with little effect on the scene in general.

Collecting isn't some Utopia *snert* where everyone has equal access via equal resources to having equal collections. We all have to decide what fits and what does not in our individual stashes based on value, quality, desirability and available finances. We can't all have cmart's collection. We can't all have the entire 125. We can't all own every homebrew ever created. If you didn't know that coming into the hobby or didn't figure that out shortly after, that's on you. I have ZERO intention of paying $200 for any new homebrew and I get to express that by voting 'NO' with my wallet closed. But if I am outvoted by 100 people who think $200 actually is reasonable then so be it. Neither the 100 buyers nor the game's seller owe me anything.

That's just life in a free market folks. Sometimes it sucks.

I agree half-way.

Remember, the market is different now, if someone sees a high price for a homebrew, or a remade classic game, like my combat example before, people who aren't Atari/Intv collectors might buy it just to sell it at a premium TO Atari/Intv collectors, and those guys raise the prices up significantly as well.

If the sellers are buying high and selling at the same price or higher, than it may be one collector may have no choice but to pay the premium to get that game. Some don't have the patience to wait for the prices to drop, buyer or seller.

Edited by Bubsy3000

As I see it , if prices keep going up in the homebrew scene including farkles (any new intellivision product ) They will be only bought and sold between all the people involved in making/producing/distributors/ and publishing these items. Since they have income to support l/offset such prices and

The only common collector/gamer who will be able to afford these at those prices (150 euro)are people with high income and deep pockets.

It has already started to shift in that direction.

To each their own. I as Hatman mentioned will not support such out right gouging of a community. I really hope they get stuck with all 100 games.

Lets see the burning video. ?

Edited by m-crew

One real way to settle this would be to release not the ROM but the source, and make it a real community project to make the best Gyruss port possible.

artrag has already been working for 3 years to make the best Gyruss-esque game possible. The game we've seen a MP4 recording of has been developed within 3 months, assuming it was created from scratch and not just crudely hacked routines from the source codes artrag previously posted. At this point, I don't see why the community would feel the desire to gather to improve upon a 3 month project with dubious origins, effectively pissing even more on artrag? Surely there are plenty of other cool games from back in the day the community could co-develop from scratch, ignoring "Gyruss" and cherish the upcoming "Deep Zone"?

Also for those of you who are completionist collectors and would be worried the run of 100 overpriced copies would run out before you got the chance to buy it, would you be willing to admit afterwards that you indeed bought this game for $200, or would you keep forever shut about you actually own it?

• Like 3

Also for those of you who are completionist collectors and would be worried the run of 100 overpriced copies would run out before you got the chance to buy it, would you be willing to admit afterwards that you indeed bought this game for $200, or would you keep forever shut about you actually own it?

We have been shown what the answer would be, The answer would be the same answer as the secret release of certain homebrew games.. I wonder if it would be put on the unofficial/ official list of homebrews like the secret games.. ...

Can we get it in a gatefold box?

Inside the box we put in an animated hallmark card that flashes different colors and a liability note at the bottom that they aren't responsible for any damages. ;)

Include two AA batteries with it just because. Make it a bullet point on the back of the box lol.

Edited by Bubsy3000
  • Like 2

I'm coming into this thread kind of late... But seriously.

The guy stole from Artrag. Buying anything from him makes you as bad as the thief, because you are rewarding the behavior. Let's not sugar coat this.

We all need to collectively turn our backs on the scammer. It doesn't have anything to do with "collecting". There are so many analogies in real life to this bad behavior. We're all old enough to know better.

• Like 5

Can we get it in a gatefold box?

I mean, it kinda goes without saying doesnt it? ? This will be available in 47 different manual language variations, with 16 different box colours, 7 different box art styles, 4 different cart labels, 6 OLs and 3 different cart styles.

Inside the box we put in an animated hallmark card that flashes different colors and a liability note at the bottom that they aren't responsible for any damages. ;)

Include two AA batteries with it just because. Make it a bullet point on the back of the box lol.

Batteries and bulletpoints. That should be the name of Revs next band or the title of a new Inty homebrew

• Like 1

I agree half-way.

Remember, the market is different now, if someone sees a high price for a homebrew, or a remade classic game, like my combat example before, people who aren't Atari/Intv collectors might buy it just to sell it at a premium TO Atari/Intv collectors, and those guys raise the prices up significantly as well.

Since the collectors will have the first crack at any sale I don't see how some outsider would be able to accomplish that. We here knew about this game before it was even completed. There is no avenue for an outside speculator to pull off such a maneuver. Those who choose not to buy direct from the seller to begin with are highly unlikely to turn around and pay a massive mark up later.

If the sellers are buying high and selling at the same price or higher, than it may be one collector may have no choice but to pay the premium to get that game. Some don't have the patience to wait for the prices to drop, buyer or seller.

So? It's a video game not food and water. No one has to have a video game. This is like complaining about driving a Ford because one can't afford a Ferrari. If you want it, buy it. If you don't, then don't. If you want to hold out for a better deal, do so. But no one owes us equal access to a product they create. Let them price themselves out of the common market if they like. Either they can sustain such a business model or they can't. Either way I'll be happy buying from Rev and other more reasonable publishers.

There was a listing for Spiker on eBay for months asking for $5000 and yet the last 3 copies to go to auction all went for less than $1000. Setting a high price point does not make everything else more valuable. The market, meaning the collectors, sets the value. Sure someone can try to get $200 for a new offering but with folks like IntelligentRevolution and Elektronite offering product at or less than $80 I don't see that lasting very long. Now if it makes larger dents in the pockets of a few completionists then so be it. That's their problem. I have no issue with their approach to the hobby but market doesn't exist to cater to them or to any of us really.