IGNORED

Gyruss for Intellivision?

It's not a mantra, it's reality. No one is saying it shouldn't be criticized. We are saying that the way to oppose this is to vote with your wallet. Don't buy new games with a ridiculous price tag and the costs will stay reasonable. At the same time it doesn't matter what the initial offering is if the collectors are willing to pay it. We are the ones who need criticizing if we allow the market to spirial out of control.

It's also not something I see happening anytime soon. Reputable publishers are not going to attempt this kind of cash grab as it creates an unsustainable business model for them. Just look at the 2 new CollectorVision offerings for under $70 announced today. This is a non-issue for the community in general so let a few out of touch programmers attempt some crazy price hike. It won't change us as a market.

An unsustainable business model... Like the selling of empty boxes for games that never existed? :P

• Like 2

That's not entirely unsustainable, just limited haha.

Maybe, but just until about a year ago, we tended to joke that all we needed to do to make money out of the collectors was to put a rock inside an empty box and seal it, and they would never know the difference. It turned out that we don't need the rock nor the shrink-wrap. Heck, we don't even need the game depicted on the box to be real!

-dZ.

• Like 1

Maybe, but just until about a year ago, we tended to joke that all we needed to do to make money out of the collectors was to put a rock inside an empty box and seal it, and they would never know the difference. It turned out that we don't need the rock nor the shrink-wrap. Heck, we don't even need the game depicted on the box to be real!

-dZ.

build it and they will come !!!!!angrysheep.jpg

An unsustainable business model... Like the selling of empty boxes for games that never existed? :P

Ha! You'd have to check with Steve about that though. Even then I think his projects were just something he wanted to do and share with the community. His prices are so low I doubt there was much, if any, money in it.

I have only made boxes for games that were released without them so I am out of element here. I did buy a few of Alex's offerings though. I used his Interplay sample reproductions to hold loose Sewer Sam and Blockade Runner variants I had and bought the Go For The Gold box when it looked like a cart might be getting made for it. I keep variant versions of all 6 games' manuals and overlays in that one.

Yeah I make a little money on the boxes if you dont count the hours I spend designing them :)

I just did them because I wanted them and put them up for sale because I needed an order of 50 for each print run.

There are only about 20 guys who regularly buy them so Im not getting rich.

The boxes using 1Hatmans designs for actual boxless games sell much better, close to 100 each.

• Like 1

Yeah I make a little money on the boxes if you dont count the hours I spend designing them :)

I just did them because I wanted them and put them up for sale because I needed an order of 50 for each print run.

There are only about 20 guys who regularly buy them so Im not getting rich.

The boxes using the1hatman's designs for actual boxless games sell much better, close to 100 each.

I think people just like seeing what might have been and much of the concept box art was out there to begin with. Getting to see it come alive is appealing to a lot of collectors. I am limited on space so I haven't obtained many concept boxes but I do appreciate the design and getting to see your work become a real item. The quality of your offerings is top notch.

It's also interesting to point out that roughly 100 boxes will sell for actual released carts. The reason is because only about 100 of those homebrews sold to begin with. That's something people need to keep in mind before accusing someone of "manipulating buyers by limiting releases" when they announce they are making 100 copies of a game. I think a lot of people have an inflated sense of scale when it comes to the actual homebrew scene. Some games might break the 250 to 300 sale barrier but the majority are only going to move around 100-200. People don't seem to realize that we are a niche market at best. Maybe it will grow out of that but not any time soon.

• Like 1

Here is the video of the rc1 as promised. I used all the space available in the rom and there are all the levels.

Only the last Chance stage are a different and obviously many formations are reduced because I have only 4 enemies available and not the 16/24 of the gyruss arcade.

I still thank kiwis for suggestions.

I would like to answer Carlsonn about the development time: I do not know if I know but I do not write much on the forum. This happens because most of the time I use it to write the code.

Actually I've always been a fast developer. I had expected 5-6 months instead I have used only 3.

And do not worry: that in this gyruss there is not a line of code that is not written by me.

Gyruss-rc1.mp4

Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?

Thou art more lovely and more temperate:
Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May,
And summer's lease hath all too short a date.
- Excerpt from Sonnet XVIII - W. Shakespeare
There is not a line of text on the above that was not typed by me.

You are a thief and this is a fact

Now you are reworking my code and this is a different matter

If you were able to make the game in 3 months by yourself why have you tried to sell my game as it were yours (at 150 per piece) telling that you have been working on it for years ?

Now the issue is ethical, your game is derived from mine, even if you have permuted the instructions, recompiled tables with other parameters and renamed variables.

For me the issue can be closed only if you publish here source and rom, and this was my original request. Otherwise this is a derived work from my game, and you stay a thief in bad faith that should be banned by the community you where trying to fraud

Edited by artrag
  • Like 1

Now you are reworking my code and this is a different matter

If you were able to make the game in 3 months by yourself why have you tried to sell my game as it were yours (at 150 per piece) telling that you have been working on it for years ?

I'm asking myself too.
Artrag say that this software is based on your bad faith.
The engine is published.
The incident for me is closed.
The Rom will publish it to DinoY when it is to be readmitted.
As for me, I'm already preparing the the next game.

You say it is closed but you have no right to say that.

I am the offended part, the buyers you attempted to fraud are the offended part

Only the offended parts can say if the incident is closed or not, and to me it isn't until you do not publish code and rom on this forum

Edited by artrag

*sigh* It doesn't really matter. This game will be released, either here or outside, and people will buy it at whatever cost, at least some -- even if they do it quietly. It'll then show up on e-Bay several months later at an even higher price.

Oh well. :roll:

-dZ.

This guy is accrediting himself as the original author of an unauthorised rework of my code to sell it as its own.

I do not think he should be supported by the community he was trying to fraud

I would close the incident only if he publishes the sources and the rom of this game on this forum, from where he has stolen mine.

After that, for me he can sell the cartridge on ebay or amazon, he is free to do what he likes.

Edited by artrag

This guy is accrediting himself as the original author of an unauthorised rework of my code to sell it as its own.
I do not think he should be supported by this community unless he publishes the sources and the rom of this game on this forum, from where he has stolen mine.

I hear you, and I agree, but that's probably not what is going to happen. Most people will just ignore the whole drama. The most you'll get is a few people agreeing publicly -- some of which will then go and purchase the game secretly when it comes out.

-dZ.

I think the question is now closed.

Vroby has made a new game, Artrag is now putting an end to this dispute.

Then there will be those who buy the game and who will not buy it, as with all games.

No, this is a derived work from mine, and he has offended me and this community trying to sell at 150€ amy free game

The issue is far from being closed

I hear you, and I agree, but that's probably not what is going to happen. Most people will just ignore the whole drama. The most you'll get is a few people agreeing publicly -- some of which will then go and purchase the game secretly when it comes out.

-dZ.

Maybe, but up to now he has been kicked out from all intellivision groups on facebook with shame for having tried to sell my game as his Gyruss

He claims to have ready 200 copies, I'm curious to see how sells will go.

I think that reputation and ethics in business are values and those guys have none of them

Edited by artrag

Maybe, but up to now he has been kicked out from all intellivision groups on facebook with shame for having tried to sell my game as his Gyruss

I understand, but I would imagine he would have been kicked out by now. Notice that this drama went from outrage to "well, he re-wrote it, so it's fine now." Some have even suggested in the last couple of weeks to re-allow Dinoy back to the forum because ... "it was all a misunderstanding." :roll:

Apparently, most people don't care, and it seems that includes the moderators. Oh well.

-dZ.