IGNORED

Gyruss for Intellivision?

1980gamer, I think that it is because of you and people thinking like you that operations like Dino's one happen and will continue to happen...

Be aware that stealing code and graphic of an ongoing project (to be released as cartridge!) to make and sell your own cartridge having changed the game titles pretending it is your own work is the worst aberration that software piracy has ever conceived. It is the safest way to make the real developers quit from the scene slamming the door.

Pretending mercy and acceptance by

1) not telling the real story, but spreading lies and half truths: we are newbies, in good faith, we produce at cost (150€!!), we didn't know your game was under development (it is also in Intybasic competition!!), come to Milan to see the game - but he is in Pavia (!!) , we have rewritten the whole code (sure, look at the video and the picture), the list is very long and even growing...

2) refusing to return the stolen goods by showing the game and publishing the code under the same conditions of the one he has stolen

is not acceptable by any means in general, but even less acceptable in this case, where these apologies are solely aimed to gain reputation and new public for his fore coming productions.

If he want to publish the code of "his" game, he can use github or whatever public repository, so he is still on time to accept my request.

This is my condition to close the affair.

Not accepting this condition could only mean he is still thinking to sell the 200 (!!) cartridges sooner or later and some people (you ?) could be interested in buying them.

Edited by artrag

No, just a phone call. I was just looking to take some server load away and speed up the process for our accounting department.

Which I did.

Maybe I was foolish? Water under the bridge.

If its a recent event, they have no legal right to your program.

If they are using his method and not his code (ie. rewritten) than there is no copyright infringement. You can't copyright an idea or method; maybe it can be patented. If it's within 12 months he might still be able to patent his method. If they are using his code then permission to use was given but not to make and distribute copies. Edited by mr_me

If they are using his method and not his code (ie. rewritten) than there is no copyright infringement. You can't copyright an idea or method; maybe it can be patented. If it's within 12 months he might still be able to patent his method. If they are using his code then permission to use was given but not to make and distribute copies.

Rewritten what ? They are using my code, my math tables, my sprites, it is my program under any relevant aspect.

The video and the picture show exactly this.

The fact he does not want to publish a new video nor the code is even more explicative for clever people, but maybe you are not getting there...

[edit] You was telling about the other case, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Edited by artrag

Rewritten what ? They are using my code, my math tables, my sprites, it is my program under any relevant aspect.

The video and the picture show exactly this.

The fact he does not want to publish a new video nor the code is even more explicative for clever people, but maybe you are not getting there...

[edit] You was telling about the other case, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Yes. Sorry for confusing the topic!

I need to be severely punished. ?

1980gamer, I think that it is because of you and people thinking like you that operations like Dino's one happen and will continue to happen...

Artrag, I am Sorry you feel this way about me. How you feel about Dino is understandable. Again, I don't know this guy. I assume you have spoken to him directly?

Only you and Dino have real information.

I want him to release the game code as well. Banning him, to me prevents ever letting this happen.

Be aware that stealing code and graphic of an ongoing project (to be released as cartridge!) to make and sell your own cartridge having changed the game titles pretending it is your own work is the worst aberration that software piracy has ever conceived. It is the safest way to make the real developers quit from the scene slamming the door.

No doubt. I understand where you are coming from. Without seeing his code being significantly different from your original code. He is 100% a thief.

Of course refactoring variables etc. is NOT new or original code by Dino. Anyone can do that, or tweak graphics etc.

If he rewrote movement algorithms and collision detection significantly. That would help him. But even if he completely rewrote you game, I still feel that is not correct either.

For learning purposes, fine. To release as a NEW game.... when you have the same game in progress for 2 or more years is ridiculous!

Pretending mercy and acceptance by

1) not telling the real story, but spreading lies and half truths: we are newbies, in good faith, we produce at cost (150€!!), we didn't know your game was under development (it is also in Intybasic competition!!), come to Milan to see the game - but he is in Pavia (!!) , we have rewritten the whole code (sure, look at the video and the picture), the list is very long and even growing...

I have never talked to Dino, I hope you have. But I can only base my knowledge of Dino by his comments here.

2) refusing to return the stolen goods by showing the game and publishing the code under the same conditions of the one he has stolen

is not acceptable by any means in general, but even less acceptable in this case, where these apologies are solely aimed to gain reputation and new public for his fore coming productions.

Yes, your demand is perfectly inline with what should have happened. But banning him gives him an out now.

If he want to publish the code of "his" game, he can use github or whatever public repository, so he is still on time to accept my request.

This is my condition to close the affair.

Not accepting this condition could only mean he is still thinking to sell the 200 (!!) cartridges sooner or later and some people (you ?) could be interested in buying them.

I hope he does release the code to YOU at the very least. I would hope no one on AA would buy this game without your blessing. But in the wild, he maybe able to sell them.

At the rediculous price he was asking, I can't believe he would sell very many. But in this case, 1 is to many.

I still feel banning was to much at this time, without all the facts. yes, I believe he stole your game. Even if he changed the code. But at least if he rewrote it completely, I wouldn't ban him.

If they are using his method and not his code (ie. rewritten) than there is no copyright infringement. You can't copyright an idea or method; maybe it can be patented. If it's within 12 months he might still be able to patent his method. If they are using his code then permission to use was given but not to make and distribute copies.

The conversion was along the lines, Do you mind is we use this in our next version. I said, No. Not thinking a Forced new purchase was coming.

Also, I will not really know if they rewrote my procedures? I did it quick and dirty as a test. No error handling etc. So I would HOPE they modified the code. :?

It would have been nice if they said, you get yours free.... The software is cloud based. But the data extraction is local ( the adapter piece ). So even though I could just use my code,

We have to pay for all the pieces anyway, and the support for it too.

We have recently installed another 3rd party product that ALMOST works properly. But I feel like we are doing all the Beta,no, Alpha testing for them.... I want to send them a bill!

I don't know how other users don't see these problems. Does anyone else reconcile their books?

Anyway...Way off topic.

...Disassembling someone's code for analysis is perfectly legal.

Shouldn't have said it like that. A disassembly is still an unauthorised copy, however courts have allowed it when the reason for the disassembly was acceptable.

...Taking someone's work for your own must not be welcomed.

-dZ.

There's plenty of other examples here where the original credit has been removed and replaced or programming work has not been credited.

Edited by mr_me

may i interfere?

all creative work is derivative. to "lean out" is more as just common without that any art wouldn't have been developed ever.

plagiatism is something quite different, i claim it's mine and that's the problem.

it's a well known old problem and unfortubately money drives it.

dino is just a small fish, intellivision is not of interest for the real sharks in the business.

however i do understand artrag and his frustration well, in fact it is a good reason to turn your back on it (and slam the door).

money, ts - sometimes it's all about fame, money i would understand.

some are trustworthy others are sleek bastards.

unfortunately the sleek ones have usually the better hand (cards).

i guess we noticed such a bad behave for pretty the first time here and that is disappointing.

but it's common, we just grew and such is a side effect of this growth.

in the end our developers have to decide if they will further publish their work before it's engraved in a rom.

that would be sad, but what option do you have?

either or not, 0 or 1 - decide ;)

how would gernot handle this on the street?

i would have the greatness not to take it serious - with nothing you can change someones mind as with his own feel of debt, show greatness and they feel guilty.

my best buddy the hool, never understands this he's more the type of let's cut off his balls, this can also work out well.

mr. me

no reason to excuse this, it's 100% legal, if a third one takes this table and makes something new out of it for the same purpose it's no theft.

that is good and shouldn't be changed resp. has been softened for the good of industry already to much.

in a further sense pioneer is nothing else as this.

of course the least you can do is to state that you did it and that it is based on someone elses idea.

i'm not talking about legality, to me it's a matter of pride.

copyrights are the matter of sleek lawyers (*and similar) who i only would touch in a protective suit and a long claw.

*and similar

we had this guy in our team, i never liked him, already his shitty avatar told me what sort of human he is.

he accused me of plagiatism, while he blatantly copied code, his quite small contribution to the project stayed while i was pushed out.

see that's the sort of ppl, that's their character, false hearted through and through.

he will become certainly a brillant lawyer.

Shouldn't have said it like that. A disassembly is still an unauthorised copy, however courts have allowed it when the reason for the disassembly was acceptable.

There's plenty of other examples here where the original credit has been removed and replaced or programming work has not been credited.

It seems to me that you tend to pick one or two words from peoples sentences and then arguing a very narrow and pedantic point, often missing the forest for the trees. You seem to do that quite a lot.

If you want to be obtuse and ignore the overarching point -- that of actually taking from the small community of contemporaries which happens to be its target audience as well -- then that's your problem. I think many others see this for what it is without having to mince words like some semantic lawyer nazi. :roll:

-dZ.

Now that the minds are a bit 'chilled and the reason prevails on impulsiveness I try to explain well what happened and why.

I apologize for English, I write in Italian and I translate from google. In fact, translator was a bad invention because it worsens the English of those who are lazy.

It goes well I hope you understand.

he "gyruss incident" was born in October-November 2017 (I do not remember the exact date) when I met Dino and I found in him a strong and genuine passion for intellivision and retrogaming. Passion is seen, it is sincere and can not be faked. He is a "pure" collector who does not stop at a high price for having the piece of the collection that he is missing and very important to the box even more than to the content. I do not know absolutely intellivision, I've never had it, I started from c64 and I only know that it is an antagonist of the 2600. It speaks to me of intybasic (and I am very fond of basic) and of his desire to make a piece missing from the intellivision collection: gyruss. It involves me and I decide to take the measures of this console. Downloading intybasic (the 0.3 of the nanochess site) and doing some experiment, I put together a development environment (on linux, I only use that) and I find it simple even if weird to develop in intybasic.

Gyruss is a tough game, it is in practice a galaga with pit coordinates. You need to rotate the sprites and zoom them. The inty sprites (mob) are 8x8 in 2 colors a little bit. I do not have a memory map yet and I have not found any sources to work on it, but above all I do not have the time necessary. However I write the 32-coordinate coordinate conversion table. More awkward than the atari version but very fast.

And here comes the accident,

Dino tells me about a game in development similar to gyruss.

I look for it and in the end I find it with google. We are still in October 2017. The game is stopped as a post for more than a year. There is also the source !!!!! Download the source and do not compile but thanks to the source I find out that atariage to which I am not registered (and I do not register) there is a working version much newer than intybasic. The exhaust and finally fill it out. It works, the rotation is at 64 angles and even if I do not like the source I try to make changes. There are parts that I have not even considered yet (audio background levels) and control and mainship (which combination is called equal to mine) is already at the level I wanted to reach.

At this point the maximum would be to involve the author and understand what nationality is, and if it is possible to collaborate.

But in the source there is not a license there is not a mail there is nothing but code commented in English and more I have the impression that it is written code with several hands. If I publish a source code I always put a license and an email (or an alias) to contact me. If I do not do it for me, it is public domain software that I want to spread but I do not want it to be attributed to me. I look for the post again but I can not find it anymore and I do not give weight to the thing. I decide to start from this source to adapt it. I repeat the title and in the meantime I learn, and then I make music again in the Christmas holidays.

I'm not even too convinced by the source Dino sees progress (has in the meantime become one of my best friends he writes and spitsis me) and with the phone makes a movie (what you saw), buy an LTO to test it on console and it works well. Being a videogame enthusiast does not mean being a programmer and Dino can not even load the Rom on the LTO. It is probably for what he could not explain with artrag. We decide to continue on this code and he would like to publish immediately. We do not have cartridges and we do not have shells. Only the draft of the boxes and software that is a very bad demo derived from abandoned software (so I thought). The brake tell him that it takes a long time to change enemies, defined levels and that the game will not be a masterpiece. Furthermore, being a large part of the code not written by me is difficult to adapt and modify. I have broken the code in several files to divide it with more logic, I removed or translated the comments and I wrote of mine in Italian I created the warp with the ship that climbs to the center I created the planets and I removed intellivoice and the boss at the end of the level. I do not know very well intybasic at a certain point I remember that the program did not work because I did not understand that by default the one byte variables are unsigned. Then I lost for 2 months in the mechanism of enemy movements. I have repeatedly thought of discarding everything and starting from the blank sheet. I redid the enemies with different movements divided into non-consecutive waves, which rotate to 8 positions and I rearranged all the enemies trying to follow the logic gyruss. Bonus levels are missing and asteroids are missing

In April the game is formed, it is certainly not a nice gyruss you can do much better but Dino is impatient and very happy with the result. I do not think it's money to push it, it does not need it. So as I am not the money to push me, In fact I had already said that I did not want money but that we could use the earnings to continue developing other games maybe better done. At this point there is to find the shells and the cards and evaluate the cost. Everything magically resolves almost by itself, we find the typography to a quality never seen before (to hear Dino, I know very little about it) 3D printing for shells and hardware cards.

Everything is easy for June everything is ready.

And then the disaster closes.

Between April and June I developed several games (3 to be exact) 2 to distribute I thought in free gpl. These are very simple original games that I would need to enter the community and become familiar with the environment. Unfortunately here we speak English and for me it is a serious obstacle but it could be overcome.

I'm terribly sorry for what happened to Dino who lost his dream as well as a nice bundle of money, for artrag as I know how it feels when you steal a game and for myself because I'm feeling the situation to find myself in the new experience of being wrong and having a fault that I can not explain.

Other times I used third-party code, but either it was abandoned code without credits or it was gpl and I could publish the source and in general I almost always managed to contact the author.

It was done by superficiality. If I wanted to camouflage the code I would not have made any effort: I would change the ship, change the color of the stars and the position of the scores and levels (which had to be done anyway but that I forgot to do ..).

Now on the legal level nothing is published and nothing is sold for which there are no faults.

If we publish the code the legal problem arises because at that point artrag has something to denounce Dino and me.

So Dino prefers to keep the copies in the cellar to mold and I have already moved the folder in the failed projects.

I do not think there is any loss of value if the source is published: in my opinion, all of them are 100 the same (the other one hundred are boxless and without shell for what I know).

A practicable way is to rewrite everything starting from the initial version to 32 positions (which I will take at least 64 positions but that will use another logic for rotations) that with the experience I have now should involve 6-7 months of coding and reloading the cards . I think it's clear that the most efficient way to merge 2 points is a straight line and so I'm sorry but it will still look like dz_gorf because dz_gorf looks a lot like Gyruss.

I'm thinking about it but a lot will depend on the comments of this forum and see how you lynched Dino I do not know if I will find the desire to do so.

I cannot belive of your self-claimed good faith. It cannot be an accident that you have even mistified the reference to the original game by referring to a wrong game name on the box. Even the time line of your telling is off with respect to what Dino was telling me by messager. I will not insist on the scamming and the piracy you and your minions have done, but I insist that you publish the source and the rom here with proper references to my game.

As I am asking you to publish the sources, you cannot be accused by me of anything. You are only accepting my legitimate request to close the accident and refund me and the intellivision world to which my sources were destined.

Edited by artrag

A practicable way is to rewrite everything starting from the initial version to 32 positions (which I will take at least 64 positions but that will use another logic for rotations) that with the experience I have now should involve 6-7 months of coding and reloading the cards . I think it's clear that the most efficient way to merge 2 points is a straight line and so I'm sorry but it will still look like dz_gorf because dz_gorf looks a lot like Gyruss.

I'm thinking about it but a lot will depend on the comments of this forum and see how you lynched Dino I do not know if I will find the desire to do so.

vroby, I would love to see this game released if you would like to reprogram it using none of artrag's code. I think it would go over very well with collectors here. I know that would be a lot of work but it would be a shame to see such a game become lost especially given the amount of work that has already gone into it.

vroby, mi piacerebbe vedere questo gioco rilasciato se si desidera riprogrammarlo usando nessuno dei codici di artrag. Penso che andrebbe molto bene con i collezionisti qui. So che sarebbe molto lavoro, ma sarebbe un peccato vedere un gioco del genere andare perduto, specialmente in considerazione della quantità di lavoro che è già stato fatto.

Edited by the1hatman
  • Like 2

Actually without publishing the sources you can't say how much work he has done (if any) compared to what he has deliberately stolen from my game without my permission.

There are a few key points of high technical value that I claim as characteristics of my work and that this guy can't reuse

One above all is the projection system that requires a bit of above the average math skills that in my game is developed by tables

But above all, I do not see how a guy attempting to fraud hundreds of people, who refuse to repair his error by returning the stolen goods to their owners (me and you) could be allowed to stay in this community

Well if he gets kicked out of this community then he cannot "return the stolen goods" so how about you back off the rage a little bit and just see what happens? While we are at it, I don't consider anyone to be a "fraud" when they refund sales and shelved the game's production. I'm not saying that I agree with their explanation as to how your code was used but I also don't see how they are such "stealing, fraudulent, dastardly, evil" code thieves when they scrapped the project once you made it clear you had issue with the use of your work.

Overall, I agree that your work should have never been used without your permission or approval. At the same time, I feel both of them have done everything, SHORT OF posting the source code you requested, to make amends for their error in judgement. At this point, I feel you are just angry to the point of being irrational, that nothing will appease you and that even if they did grant your request to post the code it would make no difference and you'd still find a way to rage over the entire incident.

If these guys had not refunded orders and ceased promoting the game and simply told you to get bent as they sold the work anyway, I'd be as disgusted as you are and would demand they be removed from this community. But I believe they have made enough amends over the incident that it's time to move on. I realize you are going to disagree and tell me that I don't understand or even simply dismiss my view as silly but I believe a second chance should be granted and I am willing to see if they can make good on it.

• Like 2

Let me make clear a few points, Roberto tells he does not want to publish "his" Gyruss source because:

1) he has already admitted, also in other messages, it is 100% my code

2) if he publishes the code I would have the prove of his crime (he says so)

3) I could sue him based on the prove of the crime above

Provided all above, tell me, if you would accept to be in business with this guy and his buddy

I do not want to sue anyone, I only want that my code, who was intended for educational purposes, and its derivations (like Gyruss) is public on this site, to promote the knowledge and the use of Intybasic

Now he says he is going to redo the game from scratch, I do not believe it will be independent by my sources, but even if it is, would you "promote" this kind of people by buying his games?
Edited by artrag
  • Like 1

Well if he gets kicked out of this community then he cannot "return the stolen goods" so how about you back off the rage a little bit and just see what happens?

And why is that? Is AtariAge the only place on the Internet in which to publish? The issue was originally found out by people visiting FaceBook, why not publish there?

-dZ.

At this point, I feel you are just angry to the point of being irrational, that nothing will appease you and that even if they did grant your request to post the code it would make no difference and you'd still find a way to rage over the entire incident.

We could take that notion both ways: at this point it seems like you really really wish to get your hands on this game sooooo badly, that you'll just say anything to motivate the guy to publish the game (or is it the box?)... :roll:

If you do not like people getting that impression of you, there's an easy solution: stop promoting this and let it die.

-dZ.

And why is that? Is AtariAge the only place on the Internet in which to publish? The issue was originally found out by people visiting FaceBook, why not publish there?

-dZ.

artag asked for the code to be presented here which it cannot be if everyone involved is banned. I agree with artag that this step should be followed to return

the code to the source and as a good faith showing they are continuing to make amends but demanding the code to be published here while calling for a ban is counterproductive.

Facebook was never a part of revealing the nature or alterations of the code.

We could take that notion both ways: at this point it seems like you really really wish to get your hands on this game sooooo badly, that you'll just say anything to motivate the guy to publish the game (or is it the box?)... :roll:

If you do not like people getting that impression of you, there's an easy solution: stop promoting this and let it die.

-dZ.

I outright said I'd like to see this game produced and would be happy to purchase it should it be reprogrammed using none of artag's work. You can simply go back and read my post saying such, so not sure what kind of revaluation or accusation you think you are making here.

As for whatever impression you think that creates of me, I'll make it very clear for you; I could not care less what you think. I am absolutely encouraging vroby to make this game because I want to see it done and done the right way. I'd be just as happy if you would like make it happen as well as long as neither of you uses artag's work or gets his permission first.

So rather than pouting and demanding other members "let things die" how about I'll continue to "promote" whatever I please and you can continue to dump on every little thing that bothers you as you please and we'll both just be content little AA posters now won't we? :-D

Let me make clear a few points, Roberto tells he does not want to publish "his" Gyruss source because:

1) he has already admitted, also in other messages, it is 100% my code

2) if he publishes the code I would have the prove of his crime (he says so)

3) I could sue him based on the prove of the crime above

Provided all above, tell me, if you would accept to be in business with this guy and his buddy

I do not want to sue anyone, I only want that my code, who was intended for educational purposes, and its derivations (like Gyruss) is public on this site, to promote the knowledge and the use of Intybasic

Now he says he is going to redo the game from scratch, I do not believe it will be independent by my sources, but even if it is, would you "promote" this kind of people by buying his games?

I was speaking about vroby not Roberto. Unless they are the same person but I was thinking Roberto was the "publisher" and vroby the programmer. If that is not the case, my apologies.

If vroby does complete this game using none of your code, then I do not see any ethical issue supporting the project. If it is proven your work was still involved without your permission then I would be against the project and would not purchase anything from this group now or in the future.

I would also not support any work by them, original or otherwise, should any current copy of this game (with your code that they claim to have removed from being sold and issued refunds for) show up on the market.

vroby=roberto=programmer=pirate trying to sell my free game as his gyruss at 150

Dinoy = producer = scammer pretending to be the coder

Let me recollect the facts, as I think you do not get what it is happening

1) they have taken my code from deep zone from atariage (code from an active project still ongoing, submitted to the intybasic competition)

2) changed the title and few details pretending to have done a proper Gyruss port without any notice or permission (they could have joined atariage when they have stolen the code, but they decided to keep anything secret)

3) without showing a single picture or video of the game (because equal to mine) they have started to sell on Facebook their gyruss (my deep zone) at 150 euros limited edition to 100 pieces (actually 200) for an expected incame of 15.000 euro (or better 30.000 euro) - not bad for a stolen game

4) when I see the box with a picture of my game on the back and I ask explanations they say, without showing a video or other pictures, that it is a different game, that I have no right on 'their' game, but they cannot show it and I have to go to Milan to see it (they are in another city, what a scammer! )

5) I protest but they keep on selling the game on Facebook and Dinoy blocks me on Facebook preventing me to see what he says (that he has used only my ship but the rest is original and that he will soon show a video but not now!? )

6) the admin receives a video from a tester of their game and it is evident that their gyruss is nothing but my free game

7) they get banned from the Facebook groups and I publish their video

8 ) Dinoy joins atariage to say that they have evolved the game from the version shown in the video but in the end they admit it is my game under any relevant aspect and get banned from here too

As derivative work of my game I ask that gyruss is published for free with his sources, here or on github, with proper credits and references. It is in my full right to ask a compensation for their fraud attempt to me and to the community.

I will not sue them for the fraud attempt nor for having used my sources without permission, but they have to release the source here or on any open platform of source sharing they like.

If you think that you want to buy something from them, I would suggest you to make sure in advance it is not stolen elsewhere.

Edited by artrag
  • Like 2

I appreciate the summary from your perspective. Thank you for taking the time to address that for me.

Be assured that I do not support any use of your work without your permission and that I have no intention of buying anything involving stolen or uncredited programming. I was only responding to vroby's suggestion that he might release the game after reprogramming it from scratch and that if he did so, I would be interested in it.

At this point the maximum would be to involve the author and understand what nationality is, and if it is possible to collaborate.

But in the source there is not a license there is not a mail there is nothing but code commented in English and more I have the impression that it is written code with several hands. If I publish a source code I always put a license and an email (or an alias) to contact me. If I do not do it for me, it is public domain software that I want to spread but I do not want it to be attributed to me. I look for the post again but I can not find it anymore and I do not give weight to the thing. I decide to start from this source to adapt it. I repeat the title and in the meantime I learn, and then I make music again in the Christmas holidays.

This is a common misconception. There are lots of programs, binary or source, uploaded for free download without a license. Almost all of them are not public domain.

Even if it's declared "public domain", it's better to contact the owner because people have different ideas of the meaning of public domain.

I'm terribly sorry for what happened to Dino who lost his dream as well as a nice bundle of money, for artrag as I know how it feels when you steal a game and for myself because I'm feeling the situation to find myself in the new experience of being wrong and having a fault that I can not explain.

Other times I used third-party code, but either it was abandoned code without credits or it was gpl and I could publish the source and in general I almost always managed to contact the author.

It's somewhat risky using "abandoned" code; it still belongs to somebody and requires their permission. In most cases nobody will know but there's always the chance someone will complain. Edited by mr_me

They haven't even thought to contact me or anyone else. The fraud was conceived from the beginning.

In order to mistifying what they were doing they have also written on the box that the game was inspired by 'Z gorf' where my game was called for a while deep zone gorf...

Had the been in good faith why not posting a single picture or video of the game? they were trying to avoid to be discovered by the people knowing my game.