IGNORED

Best PlayStation system

Zap!

PlayStation poll  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Best PlayStation system

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

By "best" I don't mean most powerful (the current one would always win), nor do I mean the most technically advanced in its day (that would have to be the PS3). I'm talking about legacy, and sheer awesomeness. Consoles only please.

• Like 1

Yep-- backwards compatible is pretty huge for me. So many good PS1 games, and the PS2 games are pretty darn impressive too; especially cutscenes with impressive visuals and the characters' mouths moving pretty realistically to the dialogue. I don't want to get any other PS system.

• Like 1

For me it's really only between the PS1 and PS2 since I dropped out of the console scene by the time the PS3 hit.

I've played a lot more of the PS1 over the years, though, and therefore there are a lot more PS1-specific games that I really like, so that's what I went with.

• Like 1

I started out late with a PSOne+LCD and a PS2 at the same time in 2001/02. I've had fairly equal time on both for a long run and in the end I found while perhaps they are earlier, and uglier, the variety of the games and the quality of what was pulled off the PS1 smoked the other systems since by an increasing amount too so I went with the first. Currently it's the only PS system I even bother owning games for as it makes a nice desk toy.

A 60GB PS3 would let you cheat on this poll because you'd have all three PlayStations to that point.

But I'm going with the PS2. It's the one I spent the most time with. So many great games on that system. It's what I got when the Dreamcast got discontinued, and it was also my first DVD player. I still have the fat SCPH-30001 we got in 2002 but man is it loud these days. Maybe it was always loud? It offends my sensibilities compared to my fan-modded Dreamcast (Noctua 5v fan with a 3D-printed mounting bracket).

I'd initially say the PS3, but the games I truly love from that era have better versions on the PS4. Plus, with games like Uncharted 4, the new GOW, Horizon: Zero Dawn just pushes it ahead for me. I can't remember the last time I fired up the PS3. There's not really any PS2 or PS1 games I revisit enough to worth considering those consoles.

I think the OP needs to clarify if we're talking about the physical machines themselves, their libraries, their impact and history, or all of the above.

Sorry, I thought I made it clear that I wasn't talking about the hardware at all (if I was, the PS3 has my vote for the most powerful in its time compared to other systems released). Libraries, impact on history, and how much you enjoyed compared to the others is what I intended for the poll.

• Like 1

Well, in terms of legacy and historical impact I'd say the PS1, which almost seems obvious. But I have a real hard time playing most PS1 games today; the system hasn't aged well. And ditto for the PS2.

I don't think you can really entirely separate the hardware from a poll like this. I wouldn't pick the PS4 as the "best" PlayStation either, despite it having the best hardware, but for me the PS3 is the point where the hardware had progressed far enough that we no longer had to overlook obvious flaws in the graphics and gameplay just for the novelty factor of having 3D on a game console. That's the way almost all PS1 and even most PS2 games feel to me now, unless they were actually 2D games just gussied up with some basic 3D.

• Like 1

The Playstation 3 is underrated. It never did as well as the previous system, but its library is nearly as strong as the competing Xbox 360, and there's a strong selection of downloadable titles on the Playstation Store on top of THAT. Yes, most models don't have backward compatibility with the PS2, but you can download a lot of the good titles, and they run just fine.

I hesitate to say the Playstation 2, because even though it was Sony's most successful system, it led the game industry down a road I wouldn't have gone. I remember being FURIOUS when I went to rent a game at the local video store and saw at least twenty copies of Grand Theft Auto San Andreas lining the shelves. That's always going to be the legacy of the PS2 for me... dominating the industry and force-feeding gamers like me a lot of crap they wouldn't have played if other options had been available.

It's a shame the PSP wasn't listed. That would have been my choice. Easy to hack, powerful hardware, and an unbeatable software library.

• Like 2

The Playstation 3 is underrated. It never did as well as the previous system, but its library is nearly as strong as the competing Xbox 360, and there's a strong selection of downloadable titles on the Playstation Store on top of THAT. Yes, most models don't have backward compatibility with the PS2, but you can download a lot of the good titles, and they run just fine.

I hesitate to say the Playstation 2, because even though it was Sony's most successful system, it led the game industry down a road I wouldn't have gone. I remember being FURIOUS when I went to rent a game at the local video store and saw at least twenty copies of Grand Theft Auto San Andreas lining the shelves. That's always going to be the legacy of the PS2 for me... dominating the industry and force-feeding gamers like me a lot of crap they wouldn't have played if other options had been available.

It's a shame the PSP wasn't listed. That would have been my choice. Easy to hack, powerful hardware, and an unbeatable software library.

What I think is really underrated about PS3 is just how robust the the PSN Store on the PS3 was. I mean not only did you have access to the then today's hits, but you alos had a great selection of PS1 Classics. Especially some pretty hard to find physically releases like the Suikoden games and Brave Fencer Musashi. It's one of things that has stopped me from buying a PS4, sadly. I hate how Sony has completely dropped the ball on providing a means to play the games that launched Sony into the industry leader it is today as well as be a big part of my middle school years in the late 90's.

• Like 1

Sorry, I thought I made it clear that I wasn't talking about the hardware at all (if I was, the PS3 has my vote for the most powerful in its time compared to other systems released). Libraries, impact on history, and how much you enjoyed compared to the others is what I intended for the poll.

In that case it's the PS2, in terms of games and hours put into the system and watching DVDs, but with a PS3 60GB, that system is obsolete for playing PS1/2 games for me (except for Alien Resurrection which doesn't emulate well).

PSP is a close second because of how much I used it with old game collections and PS1 classics, but played little actual new PSP games. I used it extensively as a multimedia device, so much that it's hard to pick between it and the PS2, though ultimately I pick the games first.

Edited by AtticGamer

If I had to put an order to it I'd do PS1 then PS3, PS2 and PS4 last. This generation has been a let down for my care with Sony. The IP hasn't been as fun or refreshing as their PS3 predecessors, and the third party stuff is coming out now more than ever on PC (Steam) and in better shape. PS1 had this era of discovery and newness, it was like the early mid 80s 8bit stuff, a trial of something new with old/new concepts like the NES stuff was (N64 falls into this too.) Then your PS3 would be taking those things, refining them better (in the PS2 era more so) but then doing it to a fine point and in HD. PS3 gave me more hours of unique quality fun than the PS2 ever did, but the PS1 stuff was the most notable and I can still get into enough of it that I keep one around and randomly discover stuff I missed out on that still works well.

If I had to put an order to it I'd do PS1 then PS3, PS2 and PS4 last. This generation has been a let down for my care with Sony. The IP hasn't been as fun or refreshing as their PS3 predecessors, and the third party stuff is coming out now more than ever on PC (Steam) and in better shape. PS1 had this era of discovery and newness, it was like the early mid 80s 8bit stuff, a trial of something new with old/new concepts like the NES stuff was (N64 falls into this too.) Then your PS3 would be taking those things, refining them better (in the PS2 era more so) but then doing it to a fine point and in HD. PS3 gave me more hours of unique quality fun than the PS2 ever did, but the PS1 stuff was the most notable and I can still get into enough of it that I keep one around and randomly discover stuff I missed out on that still works well.

Thanks for writing that out so I didn't have to.

Probably also helps that I'm kinda losing interest in this kind of modern game, and PS3 was probably the peak of my involvement. It's hard to get excited over yet another console cycle.

The first generation backwards compatible PS3 is the king of the hill amongst Playstations for me.

You get to play many PS1 and 2 games with the added quality of HDMI, you have a BluRay player and being able to use Youtube and many streaming services over Wifi. Only bummer is the limited HDD size.

The first generation backwards compatible PS3 is the king of the hill amongst Playstations for me.

You get to play many PS1 and 2 games with the added quality of HDMI, you have a BluRay player and being able to use Youtube and many streaming services over Wifi. Only bummer is the limited HDD size.

This is why I voted PS3, standalone it would be PS2 for sure.