IGNORED

Early Fairchild Channel F pcb's and Proto carts

FND

Just getting ready to list some VERY early Channel F PCB's and Proto's and since
I already have the pictures uploaded I figured I would post them here in case anyone
was interested in seeing how the PCB DEVELOPMENT progressed.

demo_early_in_and_out_1.jpg

9_in_and_out_1text.jpg

5_evaluation_in_and_out_1text.jpg

4_evaluation_in_and_out_1text.jpg

3_in_and_out_early_1text.jpg

2_very_early_in_and_out_3.jpg

2_in_and_out_early_2text.jpg

1_very_early_inside_1.jpg

1_in_and_out_early_2text.jpg

17_in_and_out_early_1text.jpg

• Like 5

Ooops forgot to point out the MISSING Copyright line at BOTTOM of the First NUMBER 2 Cart I posted above
Notice all labeled carts SAY "ENCODED PROGRAM © FAIRCHILD 1976" But the number 2 above does not
have that line printed at bottom of label

Also not sure what the N / R hand written on the DEMO CARTRIDGE. Maybe Not Released or possibly something
to do with TESTING like maybe the R stands for Repair ? In any event I tested them all and all work perfectly

Wow, I’ve always guessed wrong that epoxy blobs were a newer thing than ROM chips.

For prototypes they probably ordered what they could get made.

I love the gold plating in the classic electronics.

Wasn’t there a demand for early Intel processors because they have something like $23 in gold each, at today’s prices?

Proud owner of the original release model: Fairchild Video Entertainment System I recently bought locally from a seller who was amazed this 50 year old buyer knew what it actually was!

• Like 1

Wow, I’ve always guessed wrong that epoxy blobs were a newer thing than ROM chips.

For prototypes they probably ordered what they could get made.

I love the gold plating in the classic electronics.

Wasn’t there a demand for early Intel processors because they have something like $23 in gold each, at today’s prices?

Proud owner of the original release model: Fairchild Video Entertainment System I recently bought locally from a seller who was amazed this 50 year old buyer knew what it actually was!

Actually I think these CLEAR EPOXY blobs were an early 1st attempt at using the surface mount type chips ? thinking the flow over the data line (very small attached wires)

was causing shorting or other problems, maybe trouble keeping them separated during the application. Its very interesting to see them on full size boards. Still thinking

maybe they were only wanting to have a view at the connections so used clear epoxy ?

BTW Just pulled a bunch more. Most are from a collection I picked many years ago from an EX Employees son, Could possibly be a early promotional set

used to gauge interest before release ? Not all are from this set as I have collected these since 1990 or so

• Like 1

chip on board, which is still used today is not that much different than placing a chip in a ... well chip

instead of wirebonding to a metal frame its wired to a metal trace on a pcb

These chips are NOT connected to the pcb in a well type connection THEY have each data line

connected with a small wire, they can all be seen using a loop.

EDIT After re-reading I think thats what you were describing :)

Additionally if you ever get a CHANNEL F game with the small round or square plastic covers like the

ones pictured on the EVALUATION carts pictured above, and the cover comes loose it will bounce around

in the closed cart and will most likely break some wire connections and cause the game to stop working.

Also the first type (square style cover) use little holes in the PCB that the black cover has small pins that

they press into and are much more secure than the ROUND covers that are just glued in place

EDIT:

LAST These plastic covered chips do not use any epoxy at all, the wires are open and accessible once the

small plastic cover is removed

Edited by FND

Amazing! Congratulations! :-)

Also not sure what the N / R hand written on the DEMO CARTRIDGE. Maybe Not Released or possibly something

to do with TESTING like maybe the R stands for Repair ? In any event I tested them all and all work perfectly

Maybe "No Resale"?

• Like 2

Amazing! Congratulations! :-)

Maybe "No Resale"?

Nice Guess, that one did not occur to me. What went through my mind originally was

"Needs Repair" but thankfully it works just as it should

BTW I was a little bored and put this together as an example of the Time Line according to the

PCB development, Also have some links to my DATA Base of all date codes found on cart covers

Here is a link to the NUMBER 1 Dates (never finished it still have many more to enter)

http://fndcollectables.com/CHANNEL_F_INFO/U_S_/Board_Dates/CART__1/cart__1.html

pcb_time_line_4.jpg

• Like 2

These chips are NOT connected to the pcb in a well type connection THEY have each data line

connected with a small wire, they can all be seen using a loop.

EDIT After re-reading I think thats what you were describing :)

yea even in most chips its still a small wire going from package leads to chip

• Like 1

All these years and I just noticed something

COULD the FOOTBALL board also contain the SLOT MACHINE & CHECKERS Games ?

NOTICE the bottom right corner of my picture above of all the PCBs and notice the
Slot Machine & Checkers are contained on the same game, JUST need to switch the jumper.

BUT just noticed the FOOTBALL game PCB Looks the same and the jumper is attached to a different
hole ?

NO JUMPER for SLOT MACHINE
TOP JUMPER for CHECKERS
BOTTOM JUMPER for FOOTBALL

• 1 year later...