IGNORED

How many Interton VC4000-type consoles in use?

I'm curious to know if anyone has any estimates of how many of the 1292 Advanced Programmable Video System type consoles are still in active use, by players or programmers. These model include the Voltmace Database, Interton VC4000, Acetronic MPU 1000 and many other clones.

You should probably ask Rolo how many multicart adapters he has sold for the VC-4000 and the 1292 type models. IIRC he has made at least two batches of the VC-4000, but just because people are buying multicarts doesn't mean that they really are using them.

I use my VC-4000 about 1-3 times per year.

It kind of seems you already asked that question. Of course you can just run a head count or a poll, but a figure from one of the few (the only?) hardware provider these days would at least give you an estimate. Of course I'm aware that there may be hundreds of active VC-4000 and APVS 1292 owners who don't subscribe to the multicart principle and would be missing from the sales figure.

Now are you asking out of curiosity, or to gauge interest in new products (software or hardware) before you invest time and money into those projects? I seem to remember you used to be one of the original developers, looking to get back into the system so it would make perfect sense to determine if it is worth your time to develop new games, if anyone is willing to play / buy those in the end.

• 1 month later...

Now are you asking out of curiosity, or to gauge interest in new products (software or hardware) before you invest time and money into those projects? I seem to remember you used to be one of the original developers, looking to get back into the system so it would make perfect sense to determine if it is worth your time to develop new games, if anyone is willing to play / buy those in the end.

Sorry, I guess I missed your post when you made it Carlsson.

A bit of both really. I am working on a game, as time and enthusiasm permits, and have some other ideas too. I don't mind investing my time in the project as a hobby, but money is tight for me these days, and so far everything I have done has been with the WinArcadia emulator. I have no dreams of making money from the effort, but would like to cover some of the costs of buying a console and other hardware for test purposes, so wonder what sort of interest there would be in a new game, whether I could justify making cartridges, or just making binaries available for download and seeking support via Patreon. I might also make the source code and documentation available, either as a download or print on demand book.

I am also interested in exploring just what the console could have done if the the cost of rom and ram were less prohibitive back in the early 80's.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Hey, I just saw this. I'm probably not doing enough reading.

Concerning sales figures? Well, I'd guess the system is as good as dead (, at the moment). It really could use a couple of attractive homebrew games. Derek, great that you put time and effort into that console again.

I sold maybe 25 INTERTON-adapters and 15 or so 1292-AVPS-adapters. Not much going on. Maybe one order every six weeks. Just a few people, who still have some childhood memories, from all over the planet. The different 1292-families do not make it easier to cover demand. Everybody wants his special format to be covered, of course. I focussed on the two families, which I considered to be the biggest.

Yes sure, multi-cartridges are not what real collectors are fond of. They want original hardware, boxes and booklets. But multi-carts are great, to check out a system or to save storage space in the appartement.

Rolo

:)

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

I just saw this too. I have a couple of Fountain Force 2 consoles and every game released here in NZ. It was a VERY popular console here and they're pretty easy to find in the wild.

So yeah, add me to the list. LOL.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Just see this post.... I have every commercially released game and I would definitely be interested in any new homebrews.... I use my Acetronic MPU 2000 once or twice a month, still love playing Invaders & Spiders Web. I'm also on the waiting list for a multicart.