IGNORED

Best Vintage Game Console for Classic Arcade Games

Foebane

Yeah, I don't recall ever playing Pitfall! or the sequel at the arcades. And I believe while Choplifter! did become a Sega arcade game, it was after all the home systems that got it by several years. Though at this point in history, that's a moot point for the video's target audience.

As far as Atari 8-bits winning a pre-1985 arcade game comparison, that doesn't surprise me one iota. But let's redo the 8-bit comparison post 1985 and I'm pretty sure the Nintendo and C64 will come out on top. Sure the XEGS got a few of the late 80's arcade titles too, and arguably the best versions, but some of those (Xenophobe, Commando, etc.) were never officially released and have only been released subsequently by dealers like Video61 or B&C. Though the 7800 git them as well as classics like Ikari Warriors. Again, a moot point for the target audience now though.

Even though Nintendo did have some classic arcade games on it, so did 16-bits, and like the 16-bits the Nintendo came in '84/85 and I really don't think it should have been included in a pre-85 arcade comparison. And the 7800 I'd say only should make the pre-85 list, since it came out after the Nintendo too, because of 2600 compatibility. Yeah, I know it should have been '83/84 when it was developed, but it was shelved. But they are still both 8-bits, at least designed in a pre-'85 era. But, again Nintendo's and the 7800's release dates are a moot point for the target audience of millennial's.

Another problem in his not including the TI99 4/A, (even if it would have come in last as an arcade game machine) for being 16-bit, is that he did include the Intellivision which also is a 16-bit system (even though it DID come in near the bottom). Oh the irony of early 16-bit systems and the subsequent bit-wars of the late 80's early 90's!

Overall a good, unbiased look though, and I too am always happy to see my favorite system come out on top.

Edited by Gunstar

I posted on the page "You win but you lose."

Atari had the insistence to keep pumping out the 78-82 "classics" in the mid-late 80s on new systems which was a drain on resources and stifled innovation.

Really, it's nice that we do have such good coverage for that period - though sadly lacking if you look at 84 onwards arcade games. But arcade games are "casual" and generally lack depth compared to most of the good computer and even console games from the mid 80s onwards.

• Like 1

I posted on the page "You win but you lose."

Atari had the insistence to keep pumping out the 78-82 "classics" in the mid-late 80s on new systems which was a drain on resources and stifled innovation.

Really, it's nice that we do have such good coverage for that period - though sadly lacking if you look at 84 onwards arcade games. But arcade games are "casual" and generally lack depth compared to most of the good computer and even console games from the mid 80s onwards.

I totally agree with the late 80's rehashes by Atari, but as to other systems, it depends. Remember it's restricted to cartridge only, so Nintendo is fine, but how many late 80's games for the C64 came out on cartridge? Was it less than the 7800 or XEGS?

Like all my moot points to the target audience, I'd have to include your last sentence in that as well, since the focus was only late 70's and early 80's and the target audience looking for games from that era as he stated was the sole purpose of the video. Your argument there, as some of mine, are for another video. And those late 80's Atari rehashes are an advantage taking into account his guide lines in the video and the millennial generation target audience.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

I totally agree with the late 80's rehashes by Atari, but as to other systems, it depends. Remember it's restricted to cartridge only, so Nintendo is fine, but how many late 80's games for the C64 came out on cartridge? Was it less than the 7800 or XEGS?

Like all my moot points to the target audience, I'd have to include your last sentence in that as well, since the focus was only late 70's and early 80's and the target audience looking for games from that era as he stated was the sole purpose of the video. Your argument there, as some of mine, are for another video. And those late 80's Atari rehashes are an advantage taking into account his guide lines in the video and the millennial generation target audience.

I think I commented in that video at the time that the reason i liked those systems was because of the era of arcade games that were featured and repeated. I may be in the minority in that regard but arcade games from, say, 1978 - 1984 were my favorites so I was glad to be able to get different ports of those same games on different machines of that era.

• Like 1

I think I commented in that video at the time that the reason i liked those systems was because of the era of arcade games that were featured and repeated. I may be in the minority in that regard but arcade games from, say, 1978 - 1984 were my favorites so I was glad to be able to get different ports of those same games on different machines of that era.

I don't think you are in the minority, but when it comes to computers, as Rybags stated, there are much more in depth games on other media or not (Star Raiders) that not all consoles have so those of us who went with computers instead of consoles (or had both) naturally include more, even from the late 70's and early 80's era and we remember them just as fondly. But you stated cartridge arcade games only from that era, it is what it is, it's your video so you have every right to choose your comparative guide lines. You can do a video for late 80's arcade games, what systems are best, and include media beyond cartridge in the criteria. And do one with computers only, that includes games that weren't originally from the arcade, regardless if they are "shallow" arcade-like games or in-depth computer games.

Me personally? I don't think I really have a favorite era if we are talking games, I still like everything from Space War and Pong, to the latest generation console games. But my 8-bit is much more than just a classic arcade machine for the living room to me, and when it comes to hardware, I am a bigger fan of late 70's and early 80's computers and consoles over later ones. But my hobby goes far beyond classic gaming and into hardware repair/mod/upgrade and also new home-brew games and productivity and art.

But I agree with all your conclusions in the video, with included systems, and even though the vintage computers are being short-changed as classic gaming systems only, I would still also recommend the Atari 8-bit line for the best classic arcade gaming platform, as a casual classic arcade experience, being objective.

Edited by Gunstar

In terms of out right right build quality and smartness everything in the XL range

Imho the early c64's and spectrum's looked cheap and nasty

And you can include the late model XE's in the same range as C64 and Spectrum build quality too, I too, would have to recommend the 800XL, objectively (my personal fave is the 1200XL), instead of the XEGS, as the winner, since it's compatible with all the XEGS cartridges just like the XEGS is compatible with (for the most part) earlier 8-bit cartridges. but a better over-all build quality, IMHO. Though due to design, I think the XEGS may be better than the 65XE and 130XE in sturdiness. The 400/800 and stock 600XL aren't compatible with all XEGS cartridges (memory constraints). And I think 800XL/XE incompatibility with 400/800 cartridges is far less severe.

Edited by Gunstar

• 2 weeks later...

It came down to game play and precision back in the day, the Atari always seemed more responsive and closer to the arcade, the 800 and up were always better at running machinery in factories and such.... the 800 was a tank, the four ports combined with SIO and plugging a custom card in the machine made it quite the factory master machine... it was faster and controlled a ton of sh*t without much fuss...