IGNORED

C256 project

sm3

This is the reason it was created, for a challenge and I guess her opinion on what a Commodore 256 could have been:

This is from the blog: http://blog.snapeda.com/2018/06/06/building-the-commodore-computer-that-should-have-existed-an-interview-with-stefany-allaire/

"Stefany, you’re working on a very interesting project. Can you tell us more about it?

Sure! Not too long ago, I was watching this YouTube channel called The 8 Bit Guy, whose creator David Murray, reviews retro computers – things like the Commodore 64, and also homemade computers. On his April 12th episode, he did a review of a computer based solely on TTL logic called the Gigatron.

At the end of the episode, he made the remark that he’d never encountered his perfect computer. He went on to post his full wishlist on his website. Already looking for a new project and in the “retro” mood, it felt like the perfect project. Considering that I was part of the whole Commodore 64 revolution, it brought me back down memory lane. This revolution was also the reason I got into electronics design in the first place.

You have to realize that David’s wish list, is pretty much the specifications for what a Commodore C256 could have been. I set out to make his dream a reality."

Debates about what Commodore would have done or not done next wasn't the intention of this thread, just to present the info here in case someone else missed the project.

Hehe. Less than one year after his video, his own retro computer project was launched, though in all honesty I haven't checked how it is going along or which elements it has in common with the C256. If I had the motivation, I would find that old episode and compare the two projects, which one best matches his wish list.

I've watched a lot of the 8-bit Guy's video's. He's knowledgeable and I enjoyed his video's, but think he's got an uphill battle to design a full 16 bit 6502 based computer and be able to sell it for his projected price of $50-$100.

The completed C256 sells for $459

Isn't the $459 for a development model though, not the cost reduced mass market product?

Yes, $459 to get the 3d printed case, rev c development board, floppy, PS2 mouse and keyboard. But you can just pay $299 for the development board (without a floppy drive) and it includes shipping.

Supposedly if they get to the point where it's made for everyone, there will be a cheaper cost reduced version and I guess at that point it will have a new case as well.

Interesting, this looks like an alternate timeline where someone at Commodore said "Hey, we can do our own Apple IIGS but without the backward compatibility!".

Not for me but still, an interesting engineering project for sure

Edited by Loafer

• 2 months later...

Time is running out to get a C256 FMX Rev C if you were considering it. Orders will be taken through July 31st.

Here is a link to the shop https://c256foenix.com/shop/

Latest info on the board:

https://shoutout.wix.com/so/95MmISon2#/main

Then the final version will appear in 2020.

Note: I have nothing to do with this project other than being interested myself.

I was slightly surprised that the page didn't contain a link to the shop. It took a few educated clicks to get away from the reminder to a place where I'd be able to order it.

I'm sure others are interested, but even at $299 for the bare board it is too rich for my blood (and I don't have the time to invest in playing with it anyhow).

4 hours ago, carlsson said:

I was slightly surprised that the page didn't contain a link to the shop. It took a few educated clicks to get away from the reminder to a place where I'd be able to order it.

I'm sure others are interested, but even at $299 for the bare board it is too rich for my blood (and I don't have the time to invest in playing with it anyhow).

Yes, good point. I edited my post with the store page as well.

Here is a link to the shop https://c256foenix.com/shop/

Latest info on the C256 FMX Rev 2:

https://shoutout.wix.com/so/95MmISon2#/main

Note: I have nothing to do with this project other than being interested myself.

On 5/13/2019 at 12:45 AM, christo930 said:

Am I missing something? Is there a particular reason to invent a new obsolete computer? What are the advantages which would make it worth it?

$500 for an obsolete new computer with no software available? I just am unable to grasp why.

I do like the idea of a "new" computer that exists only in software that could run on a modern PC which would come with an "easy" environment for writing software like if you were 15 again with your C64 or if our sons could work on it.

Well I agree with all these points.

I don't believe I'm gonna spend $500 on a new/old computer that has no software available. I could take that $500 and upgrade one of my emulation rigs, or outright build 2 low-cost general purpose rigs or put it toward an upgrade. Or a dozen other things.

As for an easy environment there's tons of options and flavors available. Just about every old-school computer is emulated and comes with pseudo-support for modern filesystems, via that emulation. Drag'n'Dropping disk images of junior's graphical experiments and 1st game attempts can't get any simpler.

And if emulation isn't your thing. There's always ebay to get the REAL thing. Point is is that there are tons of options to help get yourself into a proven vintage system. No need to fight learning a new system at the same time you're learning to program.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Keatah said:

Well I agree with all these points.

I don't believe I'm gonna spend $500 on a new/old computer that has no software available. I could take that $500 and upgrade one of my emulation rigs, or outright build 2 low-cost general purpose rigs or put it toward an upgrade. Or a dozen other things.

As for an easy environment there's tons of options and flavors available. Just about every old-school computer is emulated and comes with pseudo-support for modern filesystems, via that emulation. Drag'n'Dropping disk images of junior's graphical experiments and 1st game attempts can't get any simpler.

And if emulation isn't your thing. There's always ebay to get the REAL thing. Point is is that there are tons of options to help get yourself into a proven vintage system. No need to fight learning a new system at the same time you're learning to program.

I agree, I don't want to spend $500 either, so that's why I'm getting one for $399. If you don't want the 3d printed case you can get it for even cheaper.

I guess we can put you down as "no" for purchasing the Mega65 when it's released as well? Fortunately we don't all like the same things and there are options out there for us all.

Fair enough. I'm simply not one to chase after the smaller one-off FPGA projects. They're too specialized for my tastes when it comes to sharing the experience with friends, family, kids, neighbors and the whole damned town.

Like I'm hoping to find time to get into and evaluate the new R-Pi 4. The 4GB model and a few accessories comes in at around $100. And it's because it's so generic and cheap everyone can have access to it. It's a lowest common denominator.

It's like when I introduce emulators and small form factor computing (R-Pi or Intel NUC) people think it's cute and immediately want one. And software support for both those platforms is comprehensive and global. Can't beat that!

• Like 1