IGNORED

worst Intellivision games

Gernot

i didn't found something like that here (so quickly)

so i thought why not make a hitlist of the worst intellivision games

post here what you think is complete tard but give a short reason why you think that it is tard.

i will start:

no. 2) coleco Donkey Kong, i never liked it even when i owned it, i played it rarely, the controls are poor this was what displeased me most back then.

no. 3) Pac-Man, same here, the controls are poor, if i compare it nowadays to the atari vcs release (no one i knew had a vcs), it's not that bad especially for the graphics, but i didn't played it often when i was young.

besides, in both games i'm not good, even for the arcade originals.

why do i bought them? because i ordered them for a fraction of the price from HK.

no. 1) Zaxxon, even in the same shipping from HK, i was totally displeased, i liked Zaxxon in the arcade i nearto never played it at home.

i ordered them blind the schedule i had had no pictures in it, a bareboned listing of available games typed on recycling paper (with a typewriter, recycling paper? no it was dark red, hard to read not to see when one would shine through with a light), many games was simply scored out with a ballpoint, i had to send that schedule back and after transferring the money i received the games. don't ask me i only know it was a grey import, unofficial, illegal, but to find new games for my console was more then just difficult in switzerland. mostly all coleco and parker was available, most intellivision games was scored out.

so i decided simply by the name, this i know and that one i know.

i guess that's already all which i didn't liked to play, the rest whatever and however simple they was i liked to play.

i even liked to play that stupid racing game from triple action, i must have been very lonely back then.

sometimes, because i haven't had so many games to choose from before i ordered the bunch from HK, i even played two player games alone, that's how i got good in soccer, i played it solo.

i had the infamous chess, and i played it, i'm not a good chess player and sometimes i just entered a chess problem and watched the inty solve it. Jürgen, my buddy liked to play chess, but one day i smashed the chessboard on his head, i guess that was the last time we played chess :(

yes, i was agressive, couldn't stand losing, violent-tempered.

a well known plant helped me to leave that behind me.

That's okay here are some similar threads.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/8899-intellivision-donkey-kong-worst-game-ever/

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/163677-worst-intv-game/

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/226931-lets-vote-on-the-worst-game/

The thing with Donkey Kong is it's a game everyone played in the arcade and was highly anticipated. Not everyone has played all the other Intellivision cartridges so DK keeps coming up on these lists. With this cartridge it's not so much that the graphics are poor, or half the game is missing; it's that the jump animation is way off. It's important to get that right.

I was never a fan of arcade Pac-man and haven't played the Intellivision version much. I didn't think there was a control problem. Maybe I'm just use to Locknchase. The siren sound with Intellivision Pacman is too loud and really bothers me.

I was also never a fan of arcade Zaxxon. Even if the Intellivision version was more faithfull to the arcade I wouldn't have liked it.

Edited by mr_me

mr_me, i liked lock 'n chase, dunno what difference i saw in it to pac man, it's simply better, maybe just because it's original.

it's different.

do you rember "Pengo"? i liked to play this coin-op much more as pac-man.

but as you can see my lowest rated (or numero uno) is zaxxon and i noticed that many disliked what is obvious, they killed it

yes lathe26

sound, the mentionet jump anim, i stucked often with mario halfways on the ladder, funny that "jr." has no votes in the voting thread.

i felt they was loveless made, most coleco games, but why should one compete with himself?

let's turn it around, most parker games was on my top list, tutankham is to me a great game, it was to hard as arcade for me but just right on the "slow" PAL inty.

one coleco game i liked much and it's very close to the arcade, "Venture" this game i played very often.

what i couldn't remember from the past was the score overflow, before you end all levels for four times it will start at zero, that's a weakness.

a good player would play it endless i guess, it's not hard to play if i compare it to the arcade.

however, that was one good coleco game to me

i have venture for the VCS due to a CD-ROM i ordered, it's not as half as good as the inty release even if the graphics are minimal already in the original arcade game. and i guess it has no music which spices up the game a lot.

talking about it i can hear its music this often i played it.

what i don't understand is why maze-a-tron is often judged so bad, i liked the game. now i'm shit in it but i remember that i played it well.

same (you know it) is with vectron, but i guess i'm the only one for lightyears who really loved to play it, same here i lost my skill in it.

i loved the whole idea of the game, it was very inspiring to me, a different concept, something really unique and hard enough to keep me playing but it didn't frustrated me.

something complete different

techmoan presented a vector laser beam console, it has weaknesses but wow! i want that!

if i had the right money i would order it right now, or would have already.

i'm dreaming of an elite clone on a vector beam console...

being not bound to the 8-bit aera it would be possible on it.

i don't want to pester you further with my love for elite, my recent avatar is "elite" enough.

but do you know what it is?

Edited by Gernot

Vector beam console? You mean the Vectrex? It's pretty good. It's got a small library, and half of what was made was created by hobbyists years after the system was orphaned by Milton Bradley, but it's a fun little conversation piece.

Anyway, you don't know true Intellivision pain until you've played Vectron. Someone at Mattel said, "Hey, why don't we make a Vectrex-style game on a system without vector graphics?," and this game dropped out of their backsides.

As I get older, I have learned to accept game conversions for what they are, Conversions.

Zaxxon is "re-imagined" No, it is not the Arcade version. It is a game with some similar concepts, not a PORT of the game.

PacMan has it's issues as stated, My only real problem with it, is it is so slow. I don't care about the maze changes etc. In fact, It adds a little life to the tired maze.

Even the 2600 version everyone hated... With all it's wonderful flicker etc. Is still an okay game. It is a version of pacman, It is not Arcade Pacman.

DK, it just cannot be defended. Certainly post Carl's version(s). But I still like it better than the 2600 version. So, If the WORST intellivision game is still better than the Atari version.... I can live with that! LOL

Sub Hunt, one of my favorite 1 player games.

Sharp Shot, Yup, 1 button. It is all about timing. I have played this a bunch over the years. You only need 1 minute to play! I know of some other titles that are just one button to play and some are hits.

Some are frustrating as heck FLAPPY F-n BIRD. But because it is simple, doesn't make it bad. It is TV-PIXxxx

Some games don't live up to expectations or the hype certainly. But try to play the game it is, not what it was called/based on. I like that River Raid is not the 2600 version. I get to play 2 different games!

Everyone sees things as they will. Tastes vary. That is what makes life interesting.

mr_me, i liked lock 'n chase, dunno what difference i saw in it to pac man, it's simply better, maybe just because it's original.

it's different.

do you rember "Pengo"? i liked to play this coin-op much more as pac-man.

but as you can see my lowest rated (or numero uno) is zaxxon and i noticed that many disliked what is obvious, they killed it

what i don't understand is why maze-a-tron is often judged so bad, i liked the game. now i'm shit in it but i remember that i played it well.

same (you know it) is with vectron, but i guess i'm the only one for lightyears who really loved to play it, same here i lost my skill in it.

i loved the whole idea of the game, it was very inspiring to me, a different concept, something really unique and hard enough to keep me playing but it didn't frustrated me.

What I meant with Locknchase was lots of people complain about it's controls but I haven't heard the same complaints about Intellivision pac-man. I don't have issue with the controls in either cartridge.

I would never put Mazeatron or Vectron in a worst cartridge list. There's things I like about both games. The automatic scrolling in Mazeatron bothers and frustrates me, and you can't defeat the MCP. Vectron controls are awkward and some levels are too hard, too early. These games suffer from having to read the instructions to understand the game. For some reason some people don't and these end up on worst games lists. I still wouldn't recommend spending 40 1982 dollars on these cartridges.

The reimagining of Zaxxon is an example of not meeting expectations and why it ends up on these lists. I heard it's not a bad game otherwise. Space Armada is another. After playing so much arcade Space Invaders, Space Armada is unacceptable to me.

Cartridges on these worst lists that I like are Sub Hunt and Space Hawk. Neither is perfect, I expected more strategy from Sub Hunt after having Sea Battle, but there's nothing wrong with the game. Sub Hunt is challenging, I could never beat the hardest skill level. Space Hawk also suffers from Asteroids expectations. It's a different game and I enjoy tracking the space hawks. Like Astrosmash, Space Hawk is too easy but I much prefer Space Hawk. If there was a most overrated game contest, I'd select Astrosmash.

Edited by mr_me

1 love point from me for Sub Hunt! Was one of my favorite games back than and I was amazed by the graphics, strategy and the controls of this game!

Zaxxon looks nothing like the arcade original, but it is quite fun to play.

Most Coleco games have sloppy controls and annoying sound effects. Otherwise Donkey Kong and especially Carnival could be pretty good.

Star Strike is a great game, if not a bit short (except for the highest level). It has a good 2D feeling for me.

I don't know what to think about Tron Maze-A-Tron and Vectron because I never understand what to do (maybe I should give them another try).

Star Strike is a great game, if not a bit short (except for the highest level). It has a good 2D feeling for me.

Star Strike at the highest levels can be the shortest game, unless you're exceptionally good. I like the Star Strike game play. It's a little frustrating flying a damaged ship that doesn't repair itself. I wish it wouldn't signal an upcoming target I've already hit. The cartridge was a little disappointing after all the hype Mattel put on it. For those having trouble with the controls, there's a known bug with the left controller; use the right controller, it doesn't have the bug. Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

To me, the worst games are, in no particular order:

* Horse racing

* Maze-A-Tron

* Vectron

* Space Hawk

Those are all games that I had when I was a kid, but I could never get into them. Most of the time I couldn't even figure them out.

It's not that they weren't my thing; I actively disliked them. That's in contrast to, say, sports games, which are not my cup-o-tea, but I could appreciate that they were good games to whomever is into that.

Coleco Donkey Kong and Carnival may not have been great games, but I did play them quite a bit and enjoyed them a lot. The former was a disappointment because of my expectations, but I played it with my friends and we enjoyed it.

dZ.

• Like 2

To me, the worst games are, in no particular order:

* Horse racing

* Maze-A-Tron

* Vectron

* Space Hawk

Those are all games that I had when I was a kid, but I could never get into them. Most of the time I couldn't even figure them out.

It's not that they weren't my thing; I actively disliked them. That's in contrast to, say, sports games, which are not my cup-o-tea, but I could appreciate that they were good games to whomever is into that.

Coleco Donkey Kong and Carnival may not have been great games, but I did play them quite a bit and enjoyed them a lot. The former was a disappointment because of my expectations, but I played it with my friends and we enjoyed it.

dZ.

I actually Like Horse Racing. It is strategic / Gambling. If you can have a strategy to gambling!! Well, that works long term. The house wins eventually.

What I don't like is you can control 2 of the horses. With That, you can block other horses or whip a horse out of the get and change the outcome.

This is also a game I played with my uncle. He was an animal lover! Horses, Dogs or anything else you could bet on. Miss that guy!

Astrosmash is the game I have the single most hours on lifetime. It was one of the few one player games early on. So, I cannot dis this game.

Ditto on Horse Racing and adding Roulette. Like the slot machine carts every other system had (funny how INTV didn't), computer games that are only chance, and without control, are beyond my comprehension.

Also, I don't care for any of the voice games. The voice functionality was neat but didn't enhance the games.

That said, I love Auto Racing and that cart seems to get nothing but grief.

Space Hawk and Star Strike are both pretty lame.

Agreed. For me the worst games are...

3. Donkey Kong - we played it a ton because it was Donkey Kong but it should have been so much better

2. Maze-a-tron - my friend had it and we tried and tried to like it but it never happened

1. Space Hawk - was just boring

/\/\/\ I'm the lone vote for Carnival in that poll just because I derive more enjoyment from Donkey Kong.

I wouldn't really consider a vote for Roulette. It's a dumb idea for a game with very limited gameplay built right into the design. I'm sure it is a waste, but I can't be bothered to play it long enough to form an opinion.

Other games that I have played that got votes in that poll are:

• Empire Strikes Back
  • Maze a Tron
  • Space Hawk
  • Vectron
  • Zaxxon

I understand why all of those games are near the bottom of the list in most people's estimation, but the only one that really belongs there for me is Vectron. I would also include Star Strike, and my worst list would be something like:

Bottom List

• Carnival - too simple with annoying music; tough on 201X eyes and ears
  • Donkey Kong - just not good enough to meet even low expectations
  • Star Strike - needs to repeat and increase difficulty; feels like a demo
  • Vectron - bad combination of game elements without enough player reward

Misunderstood List

• Empire - kills your hands without an alternate controller
  • Maze a Tron - just a RTFM problem
  • Space Hawk - mostly a controller problem as well
  • Zaxxon - pretty big difference from the arcade throws people, but it is fun

Donkey Kong is excreta on INTV and I always hated Vectron.

I never played DK on INTV and after seeing a youtube video of it I'm glad I never played it.

Maze a Tron and Vectron are just too damn confusing .. not fun at all. I did like the Deadly Disk games but it's not on the Intellivision Flashback I currently have.

Space Hawk is a controller problem.. almost as bad as Kaboom or Breakout using the AFP Dpad.. Argh! Anyway I was not sure if this was just a Flashback issue, but seems to be a big issue with the real INTV hardware.

Edited by thetick1

Also, I don't care for any of the voice games. The voice functionality was neat but didn't enhance the games.

Hmmm... I don't agree. I loooooove B-17 Bomber and I still play Bomb Squad. I thought the voice did enhance the games by adding tension, character, and depth.

Space Spartans I never got into, and I didn't have Solar Sailor as a kid. I did play the latter a few years ago when I acquire it, and found it a bit confusing and too "techie."

-dZ.