IGNORED

Bethesda announces Elder Scrolls VI & Starfield

Yeah I'm more surprised at the announcement than the trailers....Starfield I'm kind of hoping for a TES in space really lol. But fuck yeah for next Elder Scrolls. Hopefully it doesn't take them 6 years to poop it out. Could care less about Fallout76

Edited by cimerians
  • Like 1

I want to say I'm pleased or impressed, but those videos are awful as they tell you nothing but a name and that something exists in development. They could have done a little more to make you interested.

I agree. I'm excited but that was just enough to piss me off:)

Hmm...another Elder Scrolls game I won't finish. Which is every one of them.

I usually start them - get really deep into it and then decide I need to buzz through the story to at least feel like I've experienced the game. That takes me like 2 years on average LOL

Then I typically go back and play another character X years later. I've only finished Fallout 3 a second time like that . . . there's only so much time.

I want to say I'm pleased or impressed, but those videos are awful as they tell you nothing but a name and that something exists in development. They could have done a little more to make you interested.

This is how the game marketing hype cycle works

First E3, show a short teaser trailer or just flash a logo on the screen. Crowd goes wild, gamers get hyped

Second E3, show a longer trailer, maybe some actual gameplay - hype increases

Third E3, game still unreleased? Show a "release date" trailer!

Fourth E3, still unreleased? Let's just pretend like we never announced it

nth E3 when game is finally ready. Re-reveal it to much fanfare. People rejoice that the game they thought they had lost has been found

Yah, pretty much.

I didn't write this, but it reflects my thoughts so closely, I could have: https://www.digitiser2000.com/main-page/6-reasons-why-e3-2018-left-me-cold

Good article, but I stopped getting excited about new video games more than 10 years ago. I have so much backlog that something new doesn't matter to me. I'll play it in 3 years when it is $24.99 or less. I want to play the Bethesda games, but I've still got to play Fallout NV. Did I ever finish the Morrowind story? I can't remember . . .

I liked this comment on that article:

"My perspective is that the industry has done itself a disservice by trying to compress a years full of hype into a single event. Maybe it was relevant back in the day of magazines to get writers hyped up and prepared for their forthcoming 12 months of copy, but today it makes little sense to announce your game during an event where it'll risk getting buried beneath a thousand other releases, or just get a lesser amount of hype than it deserves."

• Like 3

Unlike other companies, Bethesda mostly announces games not long before release. I much prefer it this way instead of dissecting & spoiling every single aspect of a game for months on end and delaying it multiple times too. In this case I believe they dropped this highly unimpressive TES 6 "trailer" just to get the press of their back, otherwise it'd be all about "When are you going to..." nagging. And Starfield, well, maybe just excited about 1st really fresh franchise in years. I also strongly hope it will be FO in space - First Person true open world, with emergent gameplay, extremely moddable.

TES VI, well, as long as they don't change the formula, another winner for me. I just hope they won't trade the freedom for the modern trend of heavily-scripted "narrative" style. Also, Todd still says that the "tech is not quite there yet". It sounds extremely promising, since I hope he refers to gameplay systems, not gfx. So, a more populated and truly living gameworld with advanced physics and emergence.

The Blades is a f2p mobile title, not for me, though apparently there is "Abyss" - an infinite dungeon with roguelike vibes. Intriguing.

F76 also little interest in, but since everybody is doing a survival MP kinda games why not...they have the engine, tech franchise, it's understandable. Would rather play this I guess since it's more of a twitch shooter, than the tepid TES Online.

according to this dutch website https://www.nu.nl/games/5310806/interview-skyrim-regisseur-maakt-al-games-playstation-5-en-xbox-two.html

These games are likely going to be released beyond 2020 when new hardware arrives. So yeah it's not so strange the teasers don't show anything.

I'll take your word for it, but goodness... Skyrim was released in 2011. I hope we are not going to have to wait a decade or more.

• Like 1

Unlike other companies, Bethesda mostly announces games not long before release.

Maybe this is true of modern Bethesda, but it seems to me that Elder Scrolls chapter games have huge gaps between them, and are much anticipated. It's hard for me to prove the case though, since a lot of the previews of Morrowind and Oblivion aren't online, and there wasn't YouTube to speak of back then.

The trailer really was a big fat nothing, wasn't it? I think most of us knew that 6 comes after 5.

I've had years and years to get into Skyrim. I can wait for the new thing, personally. :)

Oh to retire like this person

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzkY7wa8Ksxv4M5NyUYgTmA

Yah, pretty much.

I didn't write this, but it reflects my thoughts so closely, I could have: https://www.digitiser2000.com/main-page/6-reasons-why-e3-2018-left-me-cold

From Flojo's link:

It doesn't matter whether they're set in medieval times, or a fantasy realm, or outer space, or the present day... games have become sort of homogenised. I dunno if they're all using the same lighting and specular effects, but this hyper-realism is making games blend into one, big, amorphous mass for me.

It doesn't help that we basically only get games set in forests, post-apocalyptic cities, or shiny sci-fi super-bases. I'm so bored of climbing up mountains, watching sunsets, and getting lost in the woods. I'm desperate for games to employ some of the creative thinking you see from Hollywood. Genre has seemingly been replaced by off-the-peg locations, into which they plug no small amount of chaos.

It's notable that the only big, big game which has stood out to me thus far is Kojima's Death Stranding - because it uses a clear, less-is-more, approach that allows the production design to really come to the fore. The atmosphere showcased in its trailer is entirely different to everything else.

AMEN! The AAA games feel so samey. Everybody was excited by the "Big 4" games shown at the Sony conference, but they mostly did nothing for me. The only one I'm interested in is Spider-Man, but even that looked like it plays like most other AAA games.

The only Sony-exclusive game that has me excited is "Dreams", but that wasn't really shown on stage because the Dude-bros complain whenever it is because they don't understand what it is. As if anyone understands "Death Stranding"

• Like 1

Hmm...another Elder Scrolls game I won't finish. Which is every one of them.

In a way, TES games are designed such that you can't "finish" them per se, given that after you complete the main quest and all side/guild/other quests, you can continue to (re)explore dungeons and caves, or even pursue a life of sorts within the game's environment, such as collecting alchemy ingredients to sell to merchants, or crafting potions or other things to sell to merchants, or just wandering around town chatting with the locals even though they always talk about the same things.

I'm ready for a new offline es game. Es online was such a disappointment for me.

I kept telling myself for years that I'd never buy ESO, because I had a very dim view of online games-- not based on any personal experience, since I'd never played an online game before, ever; but rather based on things I'd read about online gaming from people who played online games. But about 10 months ago I finally bought ESO:Morrowind and all(? or most) DLC available at that time because it was on sale and I was trying to complete my collection of ES games. (I also bought the Skyrim Special Edition at the same time so I'd have all available official add-ons for it, too.) And I've basically been playing ESO ever since, to the exclusion of just about everything else. I primarily play ESO as though it were an offline game, meaning I try to solo as much of it as I can. But I also interact with other players from time to time, such as to craft them a weapon or set of armor, or when I need to join a group to go after a group boss or clear a group dungeon-- except that I've gotten to where I can tackle many of the group bosses by myself, and the other night I cleared a group dungeon (Volenfell) by myself (in normal mode). Anyway, I've really been enjoying the heck out of ESO.

Getting back to the topic at hand, I saw a YouTube video from a guy who analyzed that brief little trailer for TES6 and concluded that it's going to be set in Hammerfell-- or at least that the mountains, coastline, and cities we see in the trailer are in Hammerfell.

The reason these two were shown was because Bethesda wanted to inform people that the next game they are releasing is Starfield which will be in 2020 (when the next consoles are released) at the earliest. And then a few years agter that, you can look forward to ES6. My guess is that Starfield and ES6 can come out maybe 2 years apart (now that they have 3 offices - Maryland, Montreal and Austin). Whatever engine they are going to be using for Starfield will likely be applied to ES6.

Give me Fallout 76... make it like Destiny with some cool lore and I'll be playing for a long time. I wasn't interested in getting PvP'd to death but it sounds like they have some checks in place. I just love exploring new areas and this is going to be a huge map!

In a way, TES games are designed such that you can't "finish" them per se

Obviously they mean finishing the main story, but I immediately understand your point.

About 10 months ago I finally bought ESO:Morrowind and all(? or most) DLC available at that time because it was on sale and I was trying to complete my collection of ES games. And I've basically been playing ESO ever since, to the exclusion of just about everything else. I primarily play ESO as though it were an offline game, meaning I try to solo as much of it as I can. But I also interact with other players from time to time, such as to craft them a weapon or set of armor, or when I need to join a group to go after a group boss or clear a group dungeon

Welcome to 2001. Pretty much every MMO I've played since has given me basically the exact same experience, so I'm bored with it and certainly not interested in spending big $$ on one. I played ESO one weekend when it was free, and it made me feel like I was in a time warp.

Give me Fallout 76... make it like Destiny with some cool lore and I'll be playing for a long time. I wasn't interested in getting PvP'd to death but it sounds like they have some checks in place. I just love exploring new areas and this is going to be a huge map!

Nah, I prefer the connection to complicated characters and well conceived storylines that a professionally directed narrative brings. Relying on online "friends" to build drama and wandering around (admittedly) beautiful environments isn't enough.

• Like 2