IGNORED

Bethesda announces Elder Scrolls VI & Starfield

I had such a blast with Skyrim on the PS3. My only complaint would be the townspeople that you trade with saying the same stuff over and over. Wish you could mute them when you drop in just to empty your inventory for some gold.

Yeah, I got eso because I perceived it as a chance to do mmo online the right way, but was disappointed greeted with the same tired mmo formula I'd already played and didn't care for for the past decade. When morrowind came out I didn't even bother. At least with single player stuff, you have a reasonable expectation to get appropriate loot (weapons or armor that type of character would likely realistically carry) online, you just get, quite literally, junk. Do I need another three mystery vials of red stuff? What's it's purpose? I can toss it, but not sell it, or even make stuff with it.

Yes, it's pretty (for an mmo) but outdated by several generations for a game, and at this point, it's just a reskin of a nearly two decades old game that did little for me back in the day, to heck with now.

I love the elder scrolls universe, and the series is great, but when it came to mmo, they missed a huge opportunity to do it right, or at least better.

• Like 1

I played ESO for a while but couldn't get into it, it felt like a stripped down version of Skyrim with three classes. A lot of the areas seem to be pretty generic to accommodate many players, I stopped at some Island and never went back. I played Final Fantasy and World of Warcraft before this and they all are pretty much the same thing, they can be addictive and pretty fun with friends at first, especially if you've never played an MMO before, but in the end these games are basically you chasing a carrot on a stick.

Nothing wrong with playing and enjoying them but it's just not for me, not anymore.

• Like 1

Yes, it's pretty (for an mmo) but outdated by several generations for a game, and at this point, it's just a reskin of a nearly two decades old game that did little for me back in the day, to heck with now.

This is also true of Star Wars The Old Republic, too. It even runs on the same engine as Elder Scrolls Online. It's harder to monetize a single player thing, I suppose.

• Like 1

Welcome to 2001.

… he said while posting on a forum devoted to old gaming consoles. ;)

Yes, I admit it-- I'm late to the party. And if ESO offers "basically the exact same experience" as "Pretty much every MMO," it's still new to me, since I've never played any of them.

I also never watched Seinfeld or Friends until long after they ended and were living on in Syndication Perpetuity.

But getting back to ESO, it seems pretty absorbing and fun to me. I'm more into playing it solo than trying to make a bunch of friends to chat with, or group up with some random strangers to tackle a dungeon or boss that's deliberately designed to be too much for a single player to handle. On the other hand, I've occasionally helped other players out by crafting them some gear, or by teaming up to tackle a boss for a daily quest. It's just that I'd rather not have to pay attention to the chat window when I'd rather be exploring some location I haven't been to before, or seeing if I've improved enough to successfully beat a group dungeon or group boss on my own. And there are definitely some things that I don't care for, such as the obsession that all of the other players seem to have with leveling up as quickly as possible, or with creating the "best build," or charging other players outrageous prices for items which the game designers have deliberately programmed to be super-rare, etc. So it isn't all peaches and cream. But all in all, I'm having a lot of fun with it.

• Like 2

I was like that with MMOs ...probably still am. I feel like I almost understand the point and some of the loot systems but the motivation to do repetitive raids and grinds still eludes me. I want to see the story bits of SWTOR (which sounds like it's just like ESO, and every other MMO), but not enough to actually play the game.