IGNORED

The RS-97 is a nice little Dingoo-style handheld

Flojomojo

I've been watching these for a while, but when I heard it had Dingux ported to it, I had to get one for myself.

https://obscurehandhelds.com/2018/02/opendingux-and-gmenu2x-for-the-retrogame-rs-97/

It's a bit trashy out of the box, the screen isn't used properly, and the GBA emulator is slow. But if you load Dingux on it (which you can do from the internal OR external SD card), it's a whole new device, more like a GCW Zero than the cheap knockoff handheld it was. The mod is somewhat wonky but not difficult.

Here's where I got mine for $60, with free Amazon overnight shipping but if you don't mind waiting you can get it for less from Chinese sellers.

These emulators seem to run well, from what I've tested. There are others as well:

Atari 2600

Atari 8-bit (incl 5200)

Atari 7800

Atari Lynx

Amiga

Nintendo NES

Nintendo SNES

Nintendo GB

Nintendo GBC

Nintendo GBA

Sega Master System

Sega GameGear

Sega Genesis

MAME4ALL

Final Burn Alpha

Sega 32X and Sony Playstation have emulators but they don't run well. There was an Odyssey 2 emulator on native Dingoo, not sure if someone made a Dingux build, but that should run well too.

• Like 4

The screen is a lot nicer than the OG Dingoo's screen, and the buttons are better too.

It's a way better Sega Genesis portable than the AtGames things thus far, for about the same price -- even with the cruddy stock firmware.

But making it into a SNES/NES/Lynx/VCS/Gen/SMS etc at the same price is sweet.

Honest question - if I'm already rocking a PSP with CFW do I want to look at this beyond "another way to play"?

Depends on what you like. I never found the PSP very comfortable or pocketable. If you're "rocking" it :) you are digging it more than I did and are probably OK with what you have now.

This is cheap and easy to set up, uses standard microSD cards, and charges from a miniUSB cable. It also comes with TV out if you like that sort of thing. It tops out at 16-bit. It's using an ancient CPU but it sips power, and the battery looks easy to source.

PSP has a bigger screen and runs Playstation games perfectly, but it has that stupid disk drive, and needs proprietary memory cards and charging cables. I haven't held one or run hacked firmware on one in a while, but I'm that one weirdo who was really looking forward to the PSPgo because it was smaller than the PSP.

The rs-97 is more GBA-sized, but sleeker.

• Like 1

Well I've already got all that stuff anyway except tv out. That never interested me personally. I've had the same PSP for 12 years now and - Nintendo Switch possibilities aside - it is my portable of choice for gaming and emulation.

Just FYI (not to de-rail) - there are now tons of MicroSD -> MagicGate adapters that allow I think 64GB or even 128GB of space. I also haven't used the drive on my PSP since possibly 2010. You don't need a disc in the drive to run the CFW anymore.

In my hands I prefer the PSP over the GBA - just feels better.

I'll check out the RS-97 if I ever get a shot though. I am one of those nutcases that tries stuff just to "try another way to play". :grin:

I like the Dingux scene, personally. Not sure if you'll ever get to put hands on this in a store, but buying one for a friend would be a nice thing to do.

I'm aware of the microSD adapters that enable a ton of space. It would be cool to carry around a huge library of PSone games like that.

How is your PSP battery holding up? Mine died years ago, too soon in my opinion.

Very nice and the price is right ... likely because MIPS is a dying hardware architecture. No new Ingenic processors since 2012 and no new MIPS architecture since 2014. Ingenic is a fabless semiconductor company that licensed MIPS. When their MIPS license ends they will certainly look to switch to ARM or possibly but less likely embedded x86 or embedded PPC.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I got my RS-97 from China, and installed 97Next 1.9 on it. It's good for what I purchased it for - I mostly want to catch up on some of the GBC Zelda games, and revisit miscellaneous titles from 2600 to GBA. I haven't pushed it harder than that yet.

If I had a magic wand I'd give it a bigger screen, but for the price (with the right performance expectations) it's a solid buy. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I just bought this recommended on suggestions here, and for the price I'm fairly happy with it. It runs NES games very well, which alone may be worth the price. Also some of the built in games including Arkanoid play nicely. I think SMS/Genesis ran well.

I have version 2.1 with the latest software which loads from the external CD.

But...

SNES runs at a decent speed but with lowered frame rates.

All games in MAME (I've tried mostly old ones) look and play well (make sure to adjust the video settings so it fits the screen size). However, a bunch of them have static-y sounds, no matter which settings I try. Same thing for Atari 7800 but it's a large percentage which have sound issues.

No built in emulator for my childhood/favorite system, Odyssey 2.

Haven't yet gotten Atari 8-bit/5200 emulator to work, but that's probably because I have to point it to the system ROMs.

And worst of all...
Atari 2600 emulator runs slow. I saw someone else with the 2.1 device complaining about the same thing....

• Like 3

I bought this for GBC, GBA, and NES, and these run very well. Turbografx runs great too.

Agreed on the 2600 emulation being too slow to be usable.

For the 7800 emulation, bump the CPU up for the emulation. If you still get scratchy sound, reload the rom from within the emulator's menu. This removes the static for me.

The A8 emulation runs well, except light static sounds. Not really an issue with in-game sounds, but annoying for music.

• Like 1

Thanks your advice, it helped with the 7800 emulator. Oddly some games which were scratchy when the rom was loaded internally from the emulator had clear sound when the rom was loaded at startup.

Commodore 64 emulation is slow as molasses too I discovered.

Another complaint... The flimsy screen protector /film which was on the device when I got it won't come off; it's like it's super glued on there. There was a tab to pull it off but that proved useless... Now I've marked up the film in the corner with my fingernail, and it still won't come off...

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this is related to the 97Next v2.1 firmware update I did, but I found that if you clock the 2600 emulator at the highest rate and set frameskip to 1 or 2, then most games are playable.

Sometimes a frameskip of 1 is a problem for games that flicker sprites every other frame, as this makes some sprites invisible. Use a frameskip of 2 for those games, or any game that's still slow with a skip of 1.

This probably won't become my preferred mode of playing 2600 games, but at least it's usable now.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I've flashed my Rs97 with the latest version of the custom firmware. Looks like there are several hardware variants now, but they've all been patched. I get the sense this might be the last version for a while. Runs well, and it's easy to do from an external card.

I'm particularly fond of playing the Atari Lynx like this. Sega Genesis, too.

https://boards.dingoonity.org/ingenic-jz4760-devices/all-rs97-firmwares-here-(internal-external)-all-systems-supported/

• 1 month later...

Has anyone bought the slightly updated version as reviewed by RetroCore on YouTube recently? Just wondering as it seems to be a good little system that I might considering going to should my PSP give up the ghost for any reason.

I have an older one, but I saw this post which is not encouraging

Nevertheless, I think you could get around the USB issue with a SD card flash. At the price, I think even the "bad" one is going to be "good enough" for most people.

• 10 months later...