As far as Laserdisc games are concerned, Data East's are probably some of the most obscure out there. So, I decided to dedicate a thread to them. Yes, I am aware that one of these was based off of Harmageddon, and the other one, Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro.

• Like 1

There's another Lupin III Laserdisc Game? I thought the only one was Stern's Cliff Hanger

Correct - Cliff Hanger was released by Stern and used the animation from Castle of Caligostro.

Data East only released three laserdisc games: Bega's Battle, Road Blaster, and Cobra Command. IIRC, the animation used in Road Blaster and Cobra Command was created specifically for those games.

I'm one of those weird people who likes Bega's Battle and used to own one. It's something of an underrated game IMHO, but I'm not blind to its playability shortcomings either.

• Like 1

IIRC, the animation used in Road Blaster and Cobra Command was created specifically for those games.

I'm one of those weird people who likes Bega's Battle and used to own one. It's something of an underrated game IMHO, but I'm not blind to its playability shortcomings either.

Gotta love the 80's Toei animation touch. The house band that made the soundtrack in Road Blaster is awesome as well. Wish I could find the OST somewhere.

I have collected most of the parts to make a DECO Road Blaster from boards to cabinet, but I am still missing the Video Chroma ntsc pcb and the main wiring harness. If anyone has any dedicated Data East lasergame parts, please PM me!

Is Bega's Battle the one where the background laserdisc footage seems to have nothing to do with the game up front?

Pretty much, though there were a few games (InterStellar, Cube Quest, and others) that could also be described that way.

Bega's Battle is probably best described as Galaxian with power-ups. The basic game mechanic is to shoot stuff coming down at you while rescuing your companions to build up weapon potential for the final battle with Varga.

The backgrounds in Bega's Battle weren't interactive in the way that they were in, say, Astron Belt, Galaxy Ranger, or MACH 3, where you're targeting and destroying elements of them. However, they would be used in ways such as giving the illusion of enemies appearing from behind certain background objects. It was a little hokey in retrospect, but nifty for the time.

Start at about the 2m15s mark in the video below, and watch how the blocks coming down appear to originate from the roof of the building in the background for an example.

Gotta love the 80's Toei animation touch. The house band that made the soundtrack in Road Blaster is awesome as well. Wish I could find the OST somewhere.

I have collected most of the parts to make a DECO Road Blaster from boards to cabinet, but I am still missing the Video Chroma ntsc pcb and the main wiring harness. If anyone has any dedicated Data East lasergame parts, please PM me!

The attract mode soundtrack was actually one of the things that made an impression on me back when I first saw Bega's Battle in 1983. It had an early industrial FM synth feel to it, and even though it wasn't really a huge part of the sequence it made a definite impression. Foreshadowed some later musical tastes of mine icon_mrgreen.gif

For the parts, you might want to also check on KLOV and Dragon's Lair Project if you haven't already. DLP is where most of the laser game community tends to hang out, but there's a decent chunk over on KLOV as well.

The attract mode soundtrack was actually one of the things that made an impression on me back when I first saw Bega's Battle in 1983. It had an early industrial FM synth feel to it, and even though it wasn't really a huge part of the sequence it made a definite impression. Foreshadowed some later musical tastes of mine icon_mrgreen.gif

For the parts, you might want to also check on KLOV and Dragon's Lair Project if you haven't already. DLP is where most of the laser game community tends to hang out, but there's a decent chunk over on KLOV as well.

Whoever DECO got to do music in the mid 80s was awesome & money well spent if we are still talking about it today. The music on Chantze's Stone (the unreleased arcade version of Strahl/Triad Stone) used some of the tracks from Road Blaster in addition to some other more fantasy synth tracks. Listen/see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgPGA30YkPQ

So I have been on DLP, KLOV, other forums, & other online groups, but coming up with zilch lately. Just waiting on something to pop up and taking the chance to mention it whenever DECO lasergames come up, like in this thread!