IGNORED

DOOM Eternal

Austin

Bethesda/id software announced a follow-up to DOOM (2016). Here's the teaser trailer:

(link)

Actual gameplay live stream is supposed to happen on August 10th at QuakeCon.

Fans of the classic DOOM II from 1994 will be glad to know that the Arachnotron, Pain Elemental and Arch Vile appear to be returning. Hell (no pun intended) yes!

For me personally, as a big classic DOOM fan, DOOM (2016) is my favorite game from the last few years. The direction I am seeing from the trailer is exactly where I hoped for them to take a sequel. Following in the footsteps of the original DOOM II, it looks like this is going to be hell on earth once again, and more familiar monsters that were left out of the original 2016 reboot are coming back.

• Like 3

I still need to get doom 2016, but I definitely want this too.

The good thing about the original is it's dropped in price significantly--looks like people can nab new copies for $20 at any major retailer now (minus the Switch version that recently released). I enjoyed the hell out of it at $60, $20 (or less for a used copy) is a steal.

Keep an eye on fanatical and greemangaming.com as both of them tend to run every week coupons and extra coupon deals with they stack percentages off. I've seen old Doom 2016 go for pretty cheap. There was a bethesda sale running this week due to E3, may still be going on.

Doom 2016 is one of the very few games I would buy on the switch and something else because it's fun enough to romp through on beefy hardware / with mouse and keys as well as portable. It also goes on steep sales enough on non-Nintendo platforms that it's pretty viable. A repeat in that vein would be most welcome.

The good thing about the original is it's dropped in price significantly--looks like people can nab new copies for $20 at any major retailer now (minus the Switch version that recently released). I enjoyed the hell out of it at $60, $20 (or less for a used copy) is a steal.

XB1 and PS4 versions are $15 new at Wal-Mart now. Just picked up a XB1 copy. :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

That looks like it's going to be so much fun. I hope my PC will be able to even run it. The last Doom runs very good on my rig, but that's two years old. The one place they showed off really gave off Quake 1 vibes. It's great they're doing this for Doom, but man I really REALLY want them to revisit the original Quake. With multiple dimensions and Lovecraft inspiration, there's a lot of potential.

You know watching that Doom Eternal footage I think this game will for me surpass the original from a few years ago. I like the game some, but not huge because the game is to damn fast, frantic, and reliant on having absolute speed and killing shit all over to get the pick ups to keep alive. I hate that about it. I like to be more tactical, methodical, do things my way and always have to the original Doom (and Wolf3D) which it won't allow so I only play it in spurts every few months for a few hours then put it up.

This one as the comment above, I feel is there with it about it pacing/feeling more like the flow that Quake 1 has, those vibes. You're on the nose there, and that game was wicked, finished it a few times. If this one rolls out more like Quake1 than Doom '16 I'm loving it even more already.

Once I got the hang of the Switch version, I thought it was a lot of fun. Hated the boss fights though. I gave up on the very last one at the end of the game. I'm considering playing the game again, and doing a more thorough job. Don't know if I want to download that 8 gb though. Maybe I don't have to? Anyway, I'm interested in this new one, minus boss fights.

The last Doom reboot got me into modern shooters again, loved the crazy pacing while not relying on stupid mechanics like hiding to heal or shooters that can't decide which genre they want to be part of (looking at you Wolfenstein 2 The New Colossus)

This looks great!

I don't care for the stupid mechanic of hey I can duck for 3 seconds and recover from being shot in the face either, but I think Doom was a bit overly aggressive in the combat. There really was no pacing other than race car with that one it was just too damn fast and I have to be in the mood for that which is why sadly I've never finished it. :\ This one I hope looks to address that in campaign, but if someone wants more cracked out that video shows taking over demons, invading peoples campaign if it's turned on to do so, and other hyperactive bot or multiplayer type aspects for those wanting somethine XTREME. :P