IGNORED

DOOM Eternal

Austin

F the cool kids then? :P I know how to play it properly fine, but I just hung it up on that section repeatedly having problems with it as it just felt like forced bad design and I hadn't felt that way once up to that point. I'll probably bet back to it whenever I push the Switch version that far some day. I find that game seems to pace and control better on there than playing it with mouse and keys on Steam anyway as I've had a more comfortable time playing it on that format which is why I'll get Eternal on there. Maybe Steam in time, with a huge cut sale a year or two after its out.

Either way I saw the single player stuff on Eternal and it looks like it was more changed to flow like Quake1 than the last Doom so I consider that a big plus, but we'll see how it handles when the final product rolls out anyway.

Doom stopped me, but it was by the asinine design of using the chainsaw to refill HP/ammo since they don't leave it around largely like in the past. I was in Hell and had these floating platforms to an open smaller arena where multiple Barons, cacodemons, and other crap continually spawn and I just kept getting wrecked running out of ammo. The fact it makes you have to go down there and commit suicide to refill your stuff instead of being more tactical about it was a huge turn off. I like the game, but hate that one aspect of it as it just seems not right at all forcing the boring childish glory kills repeatedly to keep propped up. I'd rather just grind things up, find ammo reserves around, and if I feel the want to rush in and go mad (like with a berserk box) I'd do that.

Either way I keep it around as it's nice now and again, and the sequel looks a bit slower and more methodical like the original Quake PC which I really enjoyed. Not that it doesn't bring the crazy, but it appears to do that mainly in the various multiplayer modes where other humans can pop into a stage where you are, or deathmatch, etc the usual stuff.

What's asinine is not bothering to learn how to play the game properly. Glory kills are fast, as is utilizing the chainsaw in specific moments. As the cool kids apparently say these days, "git gud."

Tanooki has a point though. ID said the Glory Kills were optional and imo; that was a blatant lie considering how necessary it is, for ammo and health.

• Like 1