IGNORED

Really Dumb Programming Question

Don't laugh.

So just getting back into my old disks from back in the day. I don't really have memories of how some stuff worked...

I boot a Basic program from disk - some old game I typed in from Antic or whatever back then.

I load it.

I "List" it. All the code comes up and scrolls.

How do I scroll up to look at and modify the code? When I use "CONTROL" and the "UP" arrow, i can only get the cursor to the top of the code that is showing on the screen - it will not scroll?

What simple thing am I not doing?

I appreciate the help. Thank you!

Type:

LIST 50
LIST 100,200

where the numbers are a line or a range of lines of the BASIC listing.

You can use CTRL+1 to pause/resume the listing to find the needed one. You can press break to interrupt the listing and get the READY prompt. Once in screen, you can edit it. Be careful if the line is longer than 3 physical lines of the screen.

"LIST" can be abbreviated as "L."

Edited by vitoco
  • Like 4

Back again :)

OK, so I go back to the specific line of code...

List 1

Bring up the line I want to change - In this case it's my name(Because I misspelled it back in the day :)

I change the line.

Go back to the READY prompt and type: SAVE "D1:filename.bas

I get ERROR- 144

What simple thing am I messing up here?

Error 144 means that it is having problems writing/reading from disk. The disk could be write protected (disk notch is covered) or the disk could be bad.

144 also is the error you get when densities are different from what is expected. You have to get a disk directory or something

to set the density of the target drive.

I don't know if you can read from one density and write to a different drive in a different density.

I guess you can. DOS has to know the density it is working in.

DOS may be able to keep densities of source and destination, I don't know.

I'm still thinking. DOS has to know how to deal with files of different DOSes.

I'm sure you can read and write from/to two different DOSes.

Edited by russg

For Atari I don't think any language cart before Action! had a proper editor.

I can't think of any 8-bit computer that had a built in Basic with proper editing. Also, proper editing usually goes in hand with no line numbers which I don't think any stock 8-bit Basic did.

Also consider, Atari was the pinnacle of stock editing capability with C= machines a distant second. Most others at best only had a partial fullscreen editor.

Amstrad like BBC has a pretty decent Basic built in but again the editing is the crippled variety.

In the 16-bit era, I think practically everything for ST and Amiga was by proper editor. Though the DBasic language for ST uses a legacy style text screen + line #s. I'm not sure it's in use much in the modern day, it uses a 1K sector format which emulation doesn't seem to support.

Probably the main reason for lack of proper editors for 8-bitters - they don't lend so well to compact, tokenized programs. On the 16-bit machines with 1/2 a Meg or more Ram it was much less of a problem to have big slabs of raw text in memory.

Edited by Rybags
  • Like 1